Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)
3.55/5
Good
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

3.55/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.26/5  rDev +20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer used to be all over a couple years ago, and it was a good alternative to Heineken, Stella Artois and the other "premium" macrobrews. I started looking for it with the warm weather coming and it has disappeared, and now that I have found it, ITS IN CANS?!?!?!? I only ever saw it in bottles previously. I preferred it in a bottle, but out of a can its ok. Way better than any of the other macrobrews, and a great low alcohol alternative to macrobrews. If I could find it in bottles it would be my new summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This along with Michelob, which is usually more money, are right at the top of the macro-swill heap. Cheerful bright gold with white head that dissipates fast. Sweet and inviting aroma. Lively texture. A marvellous balance of malt and adjunct sweetness, with the faintest whisper of hop, all drawing to an unmistakable and characteristic cornbread finish. A time machine in a bottle. Now getting a bit scarce, there's only one place I know that still sells the 12-packs; other places either don't bother or only have a few 6-packs. If you see it, try it before the curtains are drawn for the final time.

3.76/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my go to all day beer. I love this stuff. I grew up drinking it back in the '60s. When I saw it in the liquor stores again, I naturally bought a 12 pack to try it. OMG! it tasted exactly like I remembered. Like a long lost friend. I've tried a lot of different beers over the years, and I still do. With so many micro breweries out there you just can't help but try them. But I still keep coming back to Schlitz, and then I wonder why I wasted my time and money trying something else...

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

2.95/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Straw yellow appearance, easy clarity, white head disappears quickly. Aroma was canned corn and some alcohol, something industrial, metallic.

Straightforward AAL taste and mouthfeel. Nothing off, relatively enjoyable for what it is. Highly carbonated, nothing heavy.

I love my Schlitz hockey jersey.

2.31/5  rDev -34.9%

3.32/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Warsteiner Pilsner is my regular but this is my alternative when I am feeling nostalgic or want to mix things up. A really good borderline fruity flavor and treats me decent for a 12 pack session. A little more of a morning after affect than Warsteiner but not too bad. Usually pour the tall boy cans into a Pilsner glass.

I am not at all a beer snob but find this more satisfying than any other regular American beer. Official beer of my 1969 World Champion Kansas City Chiefs, and becoming of that honor!

1.41/5  rDev -60.3%

Harkens me back to Christmastime 2009. Straw color, head was minimal. Taste was of creamed corn and cereal, hell why not just make it corn flakes. Smell was of strong corn and cereal. My uncle told me to never bring this again. My grandfather liked it.

3.74/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not as impressed as some of the other reviewers seem to be, and this is coming from someone who actually enjoys adjunct lagers. It's standard AAL so of course there's nothing wrong with it, but I just don't really think it stands out at all. I'd choose it over a PBR any day, but compared to Narragansett or even High Life, I'd probably not pick it.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

2.38/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.38/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.94/5  rDev +11%

Arguably the best of this style.

3.23/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Possibly one of the best crappy American adjunct macrobrew lagers out there. Light, easy to drink, no offensive skunky odors of urine or corn water and...it actually has a bit of a hop profile! That's right, drinking this one up against Bud, Miller, PBR, even Yuengling and Sam Adams, this one has the most developed, interesting flavor of them all due to a friendly, tasteful dose of hops. Nothing overwhelming, just a hint of pine, a little bitter, a little flowery, just enough to let you know that it's the top pauper beer in town. If it's cheap enough, this is my go-to "lawnmower beer." And it comes in a tall-boy.

4.74/5  rDev +33.5%

In my opinion, this is THE best tasting American adjunct lager that I've come across. (and I've had my share of "lawnmower" beers).

Full bodied for an AAL with a touch of hops. Unlike many of the lackluster and flavorless lagers in this category, Schlitz rises to the top and really shines.

If you're into drinking cheap old school American lagers, do yourself a favor and try this one. I think you'll enjoy it. That is, if you can find it.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)