Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

good
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pint can.

A: Pours a clear gold with a large white head.

S: Sweet corny grain with some light and clean phenols.

T: Brief wave of slight hop bitterness, followed by mildly sweet bready malt. Pleasing grain taste in the finish.

M: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Not quite as dry as most AALs, which allows a bit of the sweet malt character to come out. Pretty nice (for the style).

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Schlitz was the first beer I ever tasted. That was way back in 1973, and I drank it straight out of the can. Over the years I've thought about that beer. In fact, I thought about it a lot. I thought I could remember how it tasted. The beers (of a similar style) that I was tasting in, say, the 80's or so, were just lacking. But at the same time I thought I was imagining it. How could I possibly remember?

So, upon finding Schlitz Gusto in the "classic 1960's formula", I had to try it. I bought a case of cans and I can't complain. It was $16.99 for 24 / 12 oz. cans, so it's still cheap beer. In any case, with my very first sip I thought "yes, this is as I remember it". Of course, I might be imagining that as well but I don't think so. It's the hops that I remember. It had some bitterness and some hop flavor to it (a little bit herbal, a little bit floral) - not that I knew what hops were back then. But I did know in the 80's that the beers I was drinking then lacked any bite, and even malt. The 'new' beer that reminded me most of that first beer I'd had was Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale, but that had a bit more bite and body, and the hops weren't quite right. I know they're using all Cascade now, but I wonder what they were back in 1985. And I'm only guessing, but Schlitz was probably using Cluster hops back then. I wonder if they're Cluster hops now.

In conclusion, after such a long story, it's nice to have an American adjunct lager on the market that's got some hops to it, and a bit of malt flavor as well.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance- typical AAL, thin head some lacing
Smell- nothing offensive, a little bit of hops with corn
Taste-Honestly the best tasting macro brew on the market, sweetness up front with a clean and slightly hoppy finish
Mouth feel- Incredibly smooth, it is not fizzy beer water like alot of other macros are.
Drinkabillity- This is incredibly drinkable. One can easily knock back a six pack.

This is by far the best macro brew that you can get. Granted it is not in the same league as the micro brew stuff. However, I was surprised about how good this is.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

4.68/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Schlitz 60s recipe is hands down the best AAL available. I buy it often as it is one of my favorite all time beers. The appearance is rich golden hue and the head actually laces/clumps. The smell is grainy, yeasty and hoppy. The taste is malt forward with the adjunct adding prickly crispness while the noticeable hops finishes very cleanly. Mouthfeel is very smooth and the beer is highly drinkable @ 4.7abv. I believe this to be one of the best beers available anywhere esp relative to pricing.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

On a recent adventure to Millwaukee, I was offered a "Tall Boy" of Schlitz, the classic '60s formula. It poured light golden with sticky white foam. A sweet bready aroma wafted above the glass. This trend continued onto the palate, was a tad hollow in the center before being whisked away with the lightest dash of hops. I highly drinkable and gentle brew. Not bad, really.

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Bought at a roadside dive bar last night in Noblestown, PA...damn this beer was drinking smooth for a beer that just drinks like a classic. This is the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Pours a sparkling pale light golden color with a bright white head forming thick, actually holds onto the head quite a bit. Fine speckled lacing layers arounds the sides of my glass. Aroma has abright cereal grain sweetness, seems a bit mineral in the middle but overall a nice sweetness meant to be drank by the masses especially during the industrial revolution. This neck label states that this is the classic 1960s formula. Drinks so nicely semie sweet cereal notes goes down smooth it's actually chuggable and likeable and sessionable. Amazing that an old retro beer can come back and actually be drinkable for someone like me who has tried almost 2500 different beers. Happy to see this brew in a dive bar, I actually took a six pack home and cleared them out of their Schlitz supply.

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a clear looking yellow color. Not much to really say here. It had a small white head on top for a little while but faded quickly. The smell of the beer was of corn and other grains. The taste of the beer was light, clean and simple. No levels of complexity at all. The mouthfeel of the beer was drinkable, I drank it rather quickly just to finish it. Overall I bought a bottle with the only intention of saying I had it. I wasn't expecting anything from it or even expecting to like it. It's a beer, That wraps it up pretty well I think.

3.08/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a pilsener.

Appearance: Light to medium yellow; Snow white head of about 1-1/2 fingers; The head reduces to a thin layer leaving some lacing; Good carbonation.

Smell: Malt with hops in the background; Some grain; Alcohol.

Taste: Mild and evenly balanced. Very mild hop bitterness.

Mouth Feel: Light to medium body; Smooth all the way through to the finish.

Overall: In my opinion this is a decent beer for this style. It was refreshing and just sitting back and drinking one is a pleasant experience.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Poured from bottle into a mug, golden color, plenty of carbonation, fluffy, white head, finger width...good lacing left behind.

S- Bready, sweet.

T- Hoppy, I'm surprised here!

M- Light and very smooth

O- I really like this beer, it has some flavor, goes down easy, and for the price, 5.69/6 pack, you really can't beat it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)