Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt LiquorSchlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor
2.54/5
Poor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-22-2002

View: Beers
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.94/5  rDev +55.1%

Drank from a 40 oz. purchased for $1.89 at a gas station.

Look - classic straw yellow, almost no lacing on the bottle.

Smell - Adjuncts, not much noticeable booze smell.

Taste - the classic malt liquor taste. Definitely low but decent bitterness for a lager, lots of adjunct sour corn flavor and very sweet. Not very boozy.

Feel - Very, very carbonated, more than soda. Felt a burn from the carbonation. A little syrupy like most malts.

Overall - A solid, classic malt liquor. Moderate ABV, low price, and classic taste make this a solid choice. If you don't like cheap adjunct lagers or malt liquors, it won't change your mind. A lot of cheap malt liquors (those made by Miller) no longer come in glass bottles, making this a more attractive option at convenience stores.

4.16/5  rDev +63.8%

XL, my man.

This is one of the driest-tasting American adjuncts I've ever had. It starts grainy and lightly sweet and then right away, not even halfway through the sip, it brings on this astringent cleanliness that is kind of impressive and also kind of scary. It's like this is some kind of horrible MKULTRA research potion, drawing a watery adjunct to the highest possible ABV without giving it any off flavors.

And that's where we are at, here. We can't judge this as, like, a craft beer. And that's not what this site is designed for, anymore. Judging this as a malt liquor--which is to say, as a device to deliver the drunk--it's one of the most precisely engineered concoctions I've ever come across.

This represents a shitty approach to brewing, which itself represents an even shittier worldview. But on it's own, awful terms, it's actually quite well made.

2.32/5  rDev -8.7%

1.25/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

3.06/5  rDev +20.5%

Wow, I haven't had this beer in decades until I recently spotted it at Broadway Liquors in Muskogee,OK. This, along with Olde English 800, are the beers I spent my teenage years drinking. Poured from a brown 40 oz. bottle. Has a straw yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, little else. Taste is malts, corn, not bad, but not nearly as good as I remember. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

1.4/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

It is nearly undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Ahhh yesss..What I'm assuming is the twin brother to the good ole malty I just had..

Look - Yellow as the snow I piss in on a drunken walk home from the neighbors house on a cold January Michigan night with a cap of froth that sticks around and taunts you but leaves you disappointed lacing wise like an Indonesian prostitute to turns out to have a dong bigger than yours.

Smell - Grainy and corny like the inside of a Farmers asshole or something. Not that I've been there, but if I had this is probably what it would smell like assuming he brews grain alcohol up his bungholio

Taste - Farm Invasion 5.90 - Return of the corn stalks.

Feel - Dead and flat like the movie idea I just pitched in this review.

Overall - I had more fun with my imagination than I did drinking this guy. BUT, if your name is Frank and you live in a shoe box, you might like it. * ding dong * someones at the door again!

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.65/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad for a malt liquor

3.15/5  rDev +24%

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.17/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

710 mL can picked up at The Beer Store; listed as "Red Bull Strong Beer" at 7.1% and served ice cold. I am pretty sure Sleeman does the Canadian contract brewing for these guys, although this can is labelled as being produced by the 'Red Bull Beer Company' in America. Whatever; I'm not creating a new database entry for this garbage.

Pours your standard clear golden-yellow lager colour, generating one finger of soapy, foamy head that wilts quickly over the next minute or so. Weak, corny aroma typical of ice beers/malt liquors - tons of corn sugar adjunct, with cardboard and boiled vegetables as well in case you get bored of the corn. At least it doesn't smell like alcohol. Alright, let's get this over with.

The first thing that struck me about this beer was the sweetness - a trait that I have found in every malt liquor I've ever tried, and the main reason I avoid this style as a general rule. Corn sugar/syrup is the dominant flavour, with notes of bubble gum, ethanol and silage. Blech. It finishes on a nauseatingly sweet note, with some slight booziness to distract my offended palate. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that weakens quickly - be sure to drink this stuff quickly, because you do not want to be stuck drinking a flat, warm can of this.

Final Grade: 2.17, a D. 710 mL might have been a little ambitious. Red Bull Strong is drinkable... sort of, in the same sense that a charred, well-done steak is edible. Burnt steak has some nutritional value, and this beer will slide down your gullet and accomplish its purpose if you're determined enough. But why punish yourself? I realize I'm not the target demographic for beers like this, but it's possible to make a high-gravity lager that doesn't taste like total shit. Those Molson/Budweiser shots would be greatly preferable.

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.11/5  rDev -16.9%

After a hard day of work sometimes all you want to do is come home and ride the bull.

I stopped at my local convenience store after work, which I frequent due to their large selection of cheap beers and cold Wild Irish Rose bottles, in search of a 40oz tonic to soothe my sore bones. Perusing their 40oz selection I happened upon a name synonymous with great beer: Schlitz. Needless to say I was intrigued, "Schlitz makes 40s....?", I grabbed the bottle and quickly realized this was no ordinary Schlitz, instead this was their 5.9% ABV malt liquor, 'Red Bull'. The label made claims of it being 'Xtra Long', and featured a herculean rust colored bull which would soon be reconstructed into my golden calf. I paid at the counter where the cashier wrapped the beast in a brown paper lunch bag; I wanted to rip it off and throw it back at him, let the world see, I could strut out the doors now kin to the bull stamping the label, the epitome of masculinity.

I didn't bother to pour it to a glass, a beer like this is meant to be consumed directly from the bottle. Cracking the top produced a small amount of soapy head which quickly dissipated.

The nose of the beer while still fresh and cold amazingly had the aroma of beer spilled on an sweltering bar room floor and left to soak into the floor boards. It smelled heavy of corn adjunct and slightly sulfur, like fresh broccoli boiled too long.

My first quaff of the brew produced a noticeable change in my facial expression. Much like the aroma, it tasted heavily of corn, like carbonating and bottling the water you heavily boiled corn in. It was reminiscent of a stuffy barn on a hot summer day, and I was drinking some sort of slop they produced for the animals from rotten vegetables no longer fit for human consumption.

It's carbonation expired quickly which produced a mouthfeel of a nutrient oil akin to some sort liquid bread they may have sent up with some of the first space animals and cosmonauts.

Overall if you are looking for a gritty beer that makes you feel like you live in the basement of Tom Wait's speakeasy, you can't go wrong with the Red Bull.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)