Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt LiquorSchlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-22-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

1.25/5  rDev -51%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.26/5  rDev -50.6%

This is the stuff domestic violence is made of ; pours a clear pee yellow w/ a tinge of kidney-failure orange, faint white head, leaving no lacing at all in the big mug ; smells vinous and skunked, not much else ; taste is thick and adjunct-filled, maybe a hop note(?) somewhere ; a sticky-sweet med-cloying body, good co2 at least ; sorry, but, yuck, i drank a belgian strong pale ale before this and i think i'm going to throw that up and drink it again before i finish the last 2/3 of this 22 oz. of bile...

1.33/5  rDev -47.8%

Yes I purchased a 40oz. of this stuff the other day. Mostly because I like to put it in my fridge, then when anyone I live with mentions they are tired I ask if they would like a 'Red Bull'. They usually accept and I hand them the 40oz. I laugh my ass off every time, but then again I'm an idiot. Anyway...

This AML pours completely clear, pale yellow with some sparse rising bubbles. The soapy white head holds okay I suppose and leaves some decent lace; of course I'm pouring from a 40oz. though so the process of decanting is a bit rougher than usual. This may have something to do with the respectable looking head.

The aroma is really, truly awful. I'm not out to tear this brew apart but it smells bad. Bitter, not in a good way, with all types of rusty mineral notes accompanying some mild pale malt. A very dry, off smelling beer to be sure. I'd say it's the beer equivalent of B.O. and garbage water. Very unpleasant once you get your nose in there.

Not quite as terrible as the nose would have you expect, and that's not saying much. Mild pale malt and stale grain. A slight metallic bitterness and tons more adjunct grain; probably rice I would say due to the dry, dirty, dish water flavor. I suppose I've had worse when it comes to malt liquors but this is up there with some of the worst. It's not as bad as Hurricane though.

Crisp but not clean on the palate with a bit of dryness and a lingering grainy texture. Starchy and weak at best. The remnants left on the tongue are unpleasant. I think I've had all I can take; the rest is going down the drain and that doesn't happen too often at my house. Use common sense and steer clear because I doubt anyone else thinks that joke is nearly as funny as I do.

1.4/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

It is nearly undrinkable.

1.46/5  rDev -42.7%

Has that typical malt liquor look of piss. Small white head of quickly disappearing foam.

Smells like rotten corn and rubbing alcohol.

Tastes pretty much like it smells.

Little carbonation and even less mouthfeel.

Drinkable only if desperate for a quick, cheap buzz. Its better to drink from the bottle in a bag so you don't see it and, more important, and don't smell it.

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%

1.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours from the giant 710 ML can a deep gold color with a tiny wisp of a head. The aroma is sweetish with a little bit of malt and some tin and fusel alcohol. The taste is sweet and very boozey for the strength. Medicinal, hot fusel alcohol distracts from other flavors. Some pear like fruit lies in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and cloying. The finish is very boozy.

Not a good beer. Its got way too much alcohol flavor to be enjoyable. If you want Malt Liquor, there are better brands to be had, like OE800.

This is the kind of beer you would buy for high school parties to get drunk off of because you didn't have much money.

That being said, the taste is not terrible, it goes down easy but there isn't anything special about it.

It's your average malt liquor that comes in a nice can and doesn't cost very much.

Go buy it, try it, add it to your list and then forget it.

2.02/5  rDev -20.8%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Ahhh yesss..What I'm assuming is the twin brother to the good ole malty I just had..

Look - Yellow as the snow I piss in on a drunken walk home from the neighbors house on a cold January Michigan night with a cap of froth that sticks around and taunts you but leaves you disappointed lacing wise like an Indonesian prostitute to turns out to have a dong bigger than yours.

Smell - Grainy and corny like the inside of a Farmers asshole or something. Not that I've been there, but if I had this is probably what it would smell like assuming he brews grain alcohol up his bungholio

Taste - Farm Invasion 5.90 - Return of the corn stalks.

Feel - Dead and flat like the movie idea I just pitched in this review.

Overall - I had more fun with my imagination than I did drinking this guy. BUT, if your name is Frank and you live in a shoe box, you might like it. * ding dong * someones at the door again!

2.04/5  rDev -20%

The return of the gas station beer review. This was a particularly bad night at work. After working 12 hours at the hospital. I had to attend a particularly stupid inservice for another 2 hours. I was in the mood for a good beer; however, I was far too tired to enjoy a good beer. It was time to exit the good beer and enter the bad beer.

Half of the beer was poured into a pub glass. It is force of habit to drink beer from a glass. The remaining half will be served in the proper container. The proper container for malt liquior is the can it came in and the bag. Especially if you dont want to see the mess you are drinking.

Appearance: The beer pours a bright yellow coloration. The beer is very carbonated. The head was a short lived white coloration. Oddly enough the beer left a few rings of lacing on my glass.

Smell: This beer is straight up corn malty and alcohol.

Taste: The beer delivers the smell in the taste. The beer doesnt have much of a hop prescence. No off flavors noted to the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has the body of Kate or Mary Olsen. Which ever one doesnt eat enough? The beer is highly carbonated but not stinging. The beer is an acceptable alcohol delivery system. Schlitz Red Bull it will get you drunk! You might even get into a fight!

Oddly enough the beer was better out of the can than the glass. I guess a lack of smelling the beer increased the flavor and drinkabiltiy. In short next time I will drink this from the can.

2.07/5  rDev -18.8%

As cheap beers go, this one is the big bull. If you want to get messed up quickly, Bull is the way to go. The odd flavoring of beer mixed with something is unique. Starts heavy and full of said flavor, doing a drive by on your tongue. Just make sure that you drink this before it gets warm. Have played a**hole with Bull before and woke up sleeping in a bush outside of my room. Dangerous stuff, but a fun time.

2.11/5  rDev -17.3%

After a hard day of work sometimes all you want to do is come home and ride the bull.

I stopped at my local convenience store after work, which I frequent due to their large selection of cheap beers and cold Wild Irish Rose bottles, in search of a 40oz tonic to soothe my sore bones. Perusing their 40oz selection I happened upon a name synonymous with great beer: Schlitz. Needless to say I was intrigued, "Schlitz makes 40s....?", I grabbed the bottle and quickly realized this was no ordinary Schlitz, instead this was their 5.9% ABV malt liquor, 'Red Bull'. The label made claims of it being 'Xtra Long', and featured a herculean rust colored bull which would soon be reconstructed into my golden calf. I paid at the counter where the cashier wrapped the beast in a brown paper lunch bag; I wanted to rip it off and throw it back at him, let the world see, I could strut out the doors now kin to the bull stamping the label, the epitome of masculinity.

I didn't bother to pour it to a glass, a beer like this is meant to be consumed directly from the bottle. Cracking the top produced a small amount of soapy head which quickly dissipated.

The nose of the beer while still fresh and cold amazingly had the aroma of beer spilled on an sweltering bar room floor and left to soak into the floor boards. It smelled heavy of corn adjunct and slightly sulfur, like fresh broccoli boiled too long.

My first quaff of the brew produced a noticeable change in my facial expression. Much like the aroma, it tasted heavily of corn, like carbonating and bottling the water you heavily boiled corn in. It was reminiscent of a stuffy barn on a hot summer day, and I was drinking some sort of slop they produced for the animals from rotten vegetables no longer fit for human consumption.

It's carbonation expired quickly which produced a mouthfeel of a nutrient oil akin to some sort liquid bread they may have sent up with some of the first space animals and cosmonauts.

Overall if you are looking for a gritty beer that makes you feel like you live in the basement of Tom Wait's speakeasy, you can't go wrong with the Red Bull.

2.17/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

710 mL can picked up at The Beer Store; listed as "Red Bull Strong Beer" at 7.1% and served ice cold. I am pretty sure Sleeman does the Canadian contract brewing for these guys, although this can is labelled as being produced by the 'Red Bull Beer Company' in America. Whatever; I'm not creating a new database entry for this garbage.

Pours your standard clear golden-yellow lager colour, generating one finger of soapy, foamy head that wilts quickly over the next minute or so. Weak, corny aroma typical of ice beers/malt liquors - tons of corn sugar adjunct, with cardboard and boiled vegetables as well in case you get bored of the corn. At least it doesn't smell like alcohol. Alright, let's get this over with.

The first thing that struck me about this beer was the sweetness - a trait that I have found in every malt liquor I've ever tried, and the main reason I avoid this style as a general rule. Corn sugar/syrup is the dominant flavour, with notes of bubble gum, ethanol and silage. Blech. It finishes on a nauseatingly sweet note, with some slight booziness to distract my offended palate. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that weakens quickly - be sure to drink this stuff quickly, because you do not want to be stuck drinking a flat, warm can of this.

Final Grade: 2.17, a D. 710 mL might have been a little ambitious. Red Bull Strong is drinkable... sort of, in the same sense that a charred, well-done steak is edible. Burnt steak has some nutritional value, and this beer will slide down your gullet and accomplish its purpose if you're determined enough. But why punish yourself? I realize I'm not the target demographic for beers like this, but it's possible to make a high-gravity lager that doesn't taste like total shit. Those Molson/Budweiser shots would be greatly preferable.

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Everynow and then its nice to venture into a city market store and pick up an economical malt shit liquor. This 22 ouncer was labeled "Red Bull Xtra Long Malt Liquor". The abv printed on the bottle was 5.9%. The beer poured a pours light yellow color with strong carbonation. The white head didn't last long. The aroma is malty, corny and slightly skunked. Virtually no hop presence at all but at the same time there is nothing that unpleasant its just very corn based. Light and caronated feel. This is moderatly drinkable. Im not sure i would do a 40 without wanting to barf but that can be a challenge for another day.

2.32/5  rDev -9%

2.4/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Red Bull pours a darkish yellow, white head and it’s gone in a flash. The nose is sweet, maybe some alcohol notes, some malt, and some can. The flavors in this beer are, and not surprisingly, rather limited to corn, alcohol, and some malt. More carbonation might have helped. The hops are absent. Actually the alcohol punch hides well. Beer finishes sweet. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is not a BA worthy beer, this is a “getting drunk beer”… not my style.

I have not had a malt liquor beer in a long time; I can’t imagine this being one of the better ones. You can skip it.

2.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

uff-da......take schlitz malt liquor bull and ratchet it up a notch....yikes! actually if you can get by all the adjunct unpleasantness, there is a bit of hop bite on the tongue that compliments the alcohol kick. this is the high octane, quick buzz brew for those who like the tongue tingling sensation of "just the kiss of the hops" schlitz products. my foray into malt liquor territory has left me feeling comfortably numb, but not totally stupid. try red bull for yourself. you might like it, but your liver might not.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)