Sensi Harvest | Sixpoint Brewery

Sensi HarvestSensi Harvest

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by ThatsThatDude on 08-14-2014

Reviews by JoelDaveScott:
4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

4.17/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Straight pour from a 12oz can to an oversized wineglass (JK stemware); this has a freshness date of December 17, 2014 printed in black ink on the side of the package (“BB17DEC14 0730”), which would suggest that it was packaged . . . September 17? That would make sense for a wet-hop beer, and would make this can 8 days old. Fresh!

Appearance (3.5): Three full fingers of slight crackly, bubbling foam come off of the pour readily, capping a crystal-clear, burnt golden-amber body (kind of honey colored without the orange hues), with 24ct gold highlights. The head dies down a little faster than expected, leaving a cratery surface and wide, delicate splotches of foam with large bubbles around the edge. Lacing is minimal as the beer goes on, leaving a few scattered suds and part of a collar here and there but that’s about it. Its volume and delicacy fit the rest of the beer, though.

Smell (4.0): Right out of the gate, I get some lime juice, a slightly spicy herbal character that’s tight and bright, and an undercurrent of garlicky dank tones—not too bad, though, because it all blends together nicely but you can still isolate that stank if you try. Toasted country bread and just a hint of sugar cookie compose a malt backbone . . . that toasted bread aroma melds very organically with the intersection of bitter lime and herbal qualities.

Taste (4.25): Very floral bitterness and a squirt of lime peel, along with a lightly astringent herbal character, lead the charge. It’s almost like lime-flavored, unsweetened sparkling water and tonic water with a modest amount of quinine are mixed together, and Sixpoint just added a light, well-structured and very tasteful malt backbone to it. Light toast, rustic bread with a hint of sourdough tang, and an almost-invisible layer of honey adding depth don’t really support so much as sit in between all these weird hop flavors dancing around them. There’s a lot of really nuanced layering here—the floral, herbal astringency comes off as almost delicate, in spite of bitter strength in this beer, and the malt is present and built but still restrained. I’m not just making this up; the beer actually does show its layers quietly. I’m kind of digging how unexpectedly well-structured this beer is.

Mouthfeel (4.5): Surprisingly spritzy, harkening back to the tonic and soda water shades on the palate—not quite coarse, definitely tingly carbonation paired with a light, dry-ish body really serve the rest of the beer well. This is a thirst-slaking beer if I’ve ever had one. The body is light and pleasing, the carbonation is full and active, and the finish is dry enough to invite more but so dry as to steamroll the juiciness of the hops.

Overall (4.25): If this is meant to fall under the umbrella of “Session IPA,” then this is the best one I’ve had. It boasts all of the virtues of a session IPA and avoids all of their pitfalls: no impossible-to-ignore astringency, no missing malt component, and it’s still easy to drink. What I really dig about this beer is the way it reminds of tonic water and lime seltzer, but only in a pleasant sense; not only does it taste (most definitely) and smell (a bit) like it, but it feels like that’s what’s going on here, too. I think this light-bodied pale ale really managed to capture some of the weird nuances of wet hops in a new and kind of unexpected way. Awesome job, Sixpoint.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a clear light amber with dense whitehead, settles to a half inch, spray of lace on the glass. Smell: citrus, resin, honeyed biscuit, leafy. Huge nose if not the most exciting profile. Taste: grapefruit, spruce, pale malt, herbal, oily into drying finish. Well done.

Love this! Fresh, piney, resiny. I'm sad that it's a limited release, this would be a staple otherwise.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light golden/yellow color with a 1 finger white head from a 12 oz can. Can says 10 SRM; I'm not too sure about that. Smells very citrusy, floral, and piney. Taste is a really nice balance of lemon, orange, pine, and some tropical fruit. Almost no malt presence, which makes sense for a wet hopped ale. Just a bit of biscuit on the finish. This is categorized as an APA but it's really more like a SIPA. This thing drinks like a light soda. Super crisp and light. A good amount of carbonation. These guys nailed the session IPA style.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Light golden color, very transparent, clear, thin white head, small stream of steady carbonation

S: Dank bud smell, a hint of pine and grapefruit, slight onions

T: Very smooth and crisp, lime, weird taste of cardboard but pleasant, little sharp spike of hops but not bitter, very pleasant. Not overpoweringly hoppy like some APAs

M: Clean and crisp, no lingering taste, refreshing

O: Very good beer from Sixpoint. Less pungent and bitter than others they offer. Very clean and crisp taste that is refreshing. I really enjoyed this beer.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Good example of a light wet hop ale. Herbal and pear flavors linger with a transition to a simple maltiness. Bitterness is muted. Smooth, drinkable, with the softness of wet hops to boot. Nice alternative to the session IPA craze...

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Impressive for a session style IPA. Better than All Day, I think. It pours well in a variety of glasses and is also delicious straight out of the can. I want more!

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from the can into a Spieglelau tulip glass. Nice dark golden witha half-finger white head on top. Decent amount of lace "legs" stick to the glass after each sip. A nice presentation.

S: Big nose of citrus - grapefruit and lime juice - with a touch of sweeter malt underneath, of the bready or cookie dough variety (i.e., not caramel/toffee).

T: Came out of the fridge too cold, so I'm going to let this sit for a couple minutes. . . .OK, here we go - light crackery malt foundation is followed by an almost lemon-lime soda taste, though with a finishing bitterness that reminds you this is not Sprite or 7Up or what have you; this is beer. And good beer at that. In the bitter aftertaste on the palate I'm getting more of your expected American hop profile - grapefruit, grass and pine, and a bit floral. A touch of spiciness too, just a wee bit of a peppery bite on the finish.

M: Relatively light in heft, though more medium in feel, if that makes sense. Crisp finish.

O: It's categorized here as an APA, though I believe it's advertised as a Session IPA, which to me makes more sense. This is good stuff. I think I like it better than Founders All Day, though maybe not as much as Lagunitas Daytime. Certainly worth drinking, and with the low ABV, I will now have room for plenty more tonight. . .

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Savory, piney, oniony aroma.

Flavor is similar, with a lightly bitter, citrusy finish. Very clean, with a light malt backbone. Not a big fan of the onion character.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a clear, pale, coppery golden color; it poured with a short lived spritzy head.

Balanced aroma, lots of sugar cookie maltiness with hints of toasted crackers. I found an oddly enticing citrus aroma that kind of reminded me of Sprite. Some grass and grapefruit pith as well. Not as balanced on the tongue, which is fine by me. Prickly, earthy grapefruit and lingering leafy bitterness all but shut out a caramel and sugar cookie malt base. The mouthfeel is light and effervescent. Another good one from sixpoint, I need to work them into my regular rotation to a greater extent.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Wow. Opened the can and made my kitchen smell like a hop farm! Incredibly resinous and citric with lots of stone fruit and tropical fruit flavors. Massive flavor but incredibly light and drinkable body. Touch of biscuit-y malt to deliver the hop flavor and provide some balance. Bitterness is in check making this beer super smooth. One of the best fresh hop ales I've ever had

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer is a medium orange with a light haze that clears up to show a completely clear and bright body. The head is a tight and foamy one nearly a finger's height that holds up pretty well. Lacing forms a creamy, bubbly and thick ring and follows with thinner netting and gets spottier as it goes.
I'm not sure what people are missing in the aroma. The top hasn't even finished cracking when it rushes out. Since people can't be getting old cans yet, the fault has to lie elsewhere. I don't think I could have the only can that has so much fresh hops that are both dank and bright at the same time with all the lush floral fragrance advertised. Citrus (lemon, though some of that pithy lime) zest, tropical fruits and pine all bring a good balance of bitter, bright, and clean with just enough malts to balance.
The taste has that same balance, though a bit more caramel and biscuit come out than in the smell and it's not as pronounced. It loses some of the beauty of the nose while remaining a very good beer, and especially a pale ale in a beer market that's only improving on iconic styles.
The feel is a good mix of smooth and crisp, clean and leaning dry as the hops kick in. It even gains a mildly mineral edge with a tea-like feel hat doesn't thin it out after some time.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Sever clear golden pour with a two inch white merengue head. Stratospheric lacing throughout.

Fruity bouquet on the nose. Slightly hoppy with sweetened malts. Very fresh indeed.

Nice bitter hop bite upfront with subtle malt support- not to sweet. Some piney tar resin residue.

Light to medium body that is snappy. Crisp carbonation.

Not very sweet which ends up being very refreshing for me. Basically everything it should be. Great format all around. Really turned on by Sixpoint a few years ago especially with Autumnation, been following ever since and enjoy as much as is available to me. Sessionable and screams APA.

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

Another solid brew from sixpoint. Decent 2 finger head that is stuck and dissipates slowly.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

12 fl oz. skinny can, with best by date of December 17, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Acquired a single of this as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. A new beer to me from Sixpoint, and I have to say I'm somewhat excited for this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours vaguely murky, with light sediment, but mostly clear, a golden brass colored body with two fingers of doughy off-white head. It falls and leaves a bit of lacing, but nothing to brag about.

S - Very light / creamy sort of hop presence involved here. Piney, sprucey, herbal, grassy, floral. It's clear that some very fresh hops were used here, but I'd like the aroma to be amped up.

T - Taste follows the nose - very fresh & floral. Grassy / piney sort of hop presence, balanced out nicely with a bready honeyed malt backbone.

M - The feel is crisp, clean, and easy-drinking. Very light in body, with minimal piney, fruity hop presence lingering behind. Semi-dry & bitter on the finish, which beckons for another sip.

Overall, this comes off as a very nice summer session ale, or session pale ale with a nice low 4.70% abv, this is one you could drink all day.

Sixpoint Sensi Harvest -----4/5.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz can. Best before 17 Dec 14. Served in a Libby globe porter glass.

Appearance: Clear and bright rose gold to amber beer with a thin white ring of foam at the edge. Some very thin and small strands of persistent lacing noted.

Smell: Fresh cut plants, tropical fruit, citrus, and a hint of pine/evergreen.

Taste: Full of hop flavors. Citrus zest, hint of papaya, pine, something herbal, crisp, and bitter at the finish. The flavors are distinct, but fragile/nuanced and in danger of becoming a blur if there was anything else going on in this beer. There is no malt flavor that I can pick out under these hops, maybe something pilsner related, but even then, it's weak. Very lopsided in flavor profile, but that's the point with this beer to celebrate the wet hop flavors more than anything else.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation, hop oils sticking to the teeth, but a bit watery.

Overall / Drinkability: Given the point of this beer is probably to capture wet hop flavors I think this beer achieves that. You definitely taste hops and that's it. The beer is unbalanced, but not undrinkable. Bitter, but not overpowering. Despite my remarks, I think if there was too much more malt some of the hop flavors and aromas may have been lost. As for drinkability, I kept going for sip after sip trying to pull out the flavors and found I ended up drinking it very quickly as it was very interesting trying to figure out the flavors. So good thing the ABV is low or I might be in trouble. I think a 16oz can would work for me to enjoy and then I'd be sated. Two 12oz cans though would be too much and my palate might start to tire of all the hops with no malt.

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%

It is indicative of the CAN explosion of late that The CANQuest (TM) is experiencing a bit of a backlog. If only there were some way to outsource my drinking ... The bottom of the CAN has a stamped "Best By" date of 17Dec14 so I am about a month late, but that has never stopped me. It is my supposition that as a mini-keg, a CAN's CANtents remain fresher longer than in those stupid glass bottles.

From the CAN: "Beer Is Culture"; "... Right after harvest, we rush-deliver sacks of seedless hop cones - hand-selected to be the most lush, the most floral, the most fragrant flowers - and put these 'wet hops' directly into this brew. With SENSI HARVEST, Beer Is Agriculture. It's Mad Science,"; "Please keep refrigerated. [At least I did that right.] This ale was Wet-Hopped with Fresh Hops."; "Beer for Beasts".

Time to get smarter. "Sensimilla" is Spanish for "Without Seeds", hence the name of this gem. I remember as a teenager that when Sensimilla hit town, it commanded a hefty price. I haven't smoked in many years, but as a budding politician, I advocate for legalized marijuana and watched last night's "60 Minutes" segment on what they are calling "The Colorado Experiment" with rapt fascination. As an Auxiliary Security Force (ASF)/cop trainee at NAS Alameda, CA in 1987, we were told that it did not matter if we had joined the Navy on a drug waiver (I had, copping to it even back then), we could not stand up in court and say that our probable cause was based on personal use. Instead, we had to submit to a urinalysis and immediately afterwards, sit through a "controlled burn". Imagine our shock when the Chief came out with a thurible, a metal censer on a chain, just like the ones in Catholic church, burning some awful skunk weed seized in a raid! Hollywood and I nearly died laughing.

Enough background, let's drink some "Sens" as we always referred to it as "The Arch Alley Boys". I gripped the Slimline CAN and Crack!ed the tab. It was loud, so no loss of pressurization during the wait. Collie Buddz is singing "Sensimilla" and I feel like I am in the circle on "That '70's Show". Man, my late Pops was Red Foreman, often referring to me or my friends or any combination thereof as "Dumbass!" An inverted Glug created two rocky, foamy fingers of eggshell-white head with decent retention. I opened the baggie and leaned in for a sniff. Man, dank, earthy, slightly grassy and look at the resin, I mean lacing, on the side of the glass! Color was Amber (SRM = >7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. I put my left index finger on the carb, flicked my Bic with my right thumb and we were off! I mean, I took my first hit, er, draught from the glass. Mouthfeel was medium. I inhaled like I was taking some asthma medicine and held it. They used to call me "Aqualung" as a teenager and man, this was gettin' it! The taste was very herbal, quite earthy, slightly minty. Holy Mellow, Batman! I could sit here and hit this spliff, I mean, drink this beer all afternoon. Some stats from the CAN: "4.7% ABV[,] 50 IBU[,] 10 SRM [I respectfully disagree]". This was meant to be an all-day affair. Finish was semi-dry and that earthy taste of freshly-harvested dank just lingered. Man, now I've got the munchies ...

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

12 ounce can into pint glass, best before 12/17/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep golden color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, lime, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus/floral hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, lime, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/lime zest, orange peel, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice complexity and balance of bright citrus/floral hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and fairly sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with no warming present after the finish as expected of 4.7%. Overall this is an excellent pale ale. All around great balance and complexity of bright citrus/floral hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

Best by 12/17 out if a six point mini snifter.

a - brew pours transparent yellow orange, thin fizzy ipa head sticky spotty lace.

s - nose is fresh hop...wet hop..soft citric.

t/m/o - super easy drinking IPA. Nice hop presence without being overly aggressive. Great wet hop harvest brew...although lacking what I would expect from something called "sensi" nonetheless this is a worthy beer!

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

Pours a bright yellow color with a finger of foam that dissipates quickly without lacing. Aroma is phenomenal - bursting with floral hop aroma.

First sip is a huge rush of wet hop flavor. Grassy, floral, vegetal. Hop flavors fades to a sharp bitterness that quickly fades as well. Body is thin, not a ton of residual sweetness.

This is a well-made wet hop beer, full of hop flavor. I feel it could be a little more complex if it had more of a malt backbone.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

BB17DEC14

A: Pours a clear golden color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a thin ring of bubbles

S: Nice and citrusy with a bit of fruitiness and nearly no maltiness to speak of. Hops definitely stand out, most likely thanks to the wet hops

T: Again, nice and citrusy with notes of orange and various peels. Also again, nearly no malt to speak of. Highly hop related, unsurprisingly

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A very hop-forward session IPA with almost no malt presence (or so it seems). Nice and citrusy with floral notes without any sweetness or bready maltiness. Extremely easy to drink (as it should be for a session IPA) with plenty of hop flavor. Definitely worth trying if you're into the whole session IPA thing. Or not

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Very good, low carb, flavor is kind of light, but still complex to be fun

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to TongoRad for this one. Poured into shaker pint glass.Poured a very lightly hazy light gold color with 1/2 9nch of white head that had low retention and light-moderate lacing.

A nice hop aroma escaped from the energy-drink shaped can, lots of citrus and some pine mostly, with some floral undertones. Much the same on the tongue, with just a bit of malt showing up in the middle of the palate. The citrus managed to linger a fair bit at the back of the tongue.

The body was much thinner than I would have liked, I hardly felt the beer in my mouth. Drinkability was pretty good, I could see knocking off a few of these. Overall, a perfectly pleasant brew, one worth trying, but not one that's in the upper echelon of the fresh-hop scene.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color. One finger worth of foamy white-ish head is formed; neither its appearance nor its retention impress me. A little bit of lacing is left on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Hrm. I'm getting a respectable amount of floral, slightly spicy hop characteristics, occasionally veering into tropical territory (and lime, can't forget lime). Some malt does come through as well - appropriately for the style, it's mild enough not to obstruct, yet strong enough to make this seem unlike generic hop water. I could have used some more malt definition, otherwise this isn't a bad nose at all.

Taste: It opens up with a combination of floral hop flavors and some bitterness. Kisses of lime appear around the middle, and it's the best feature. Slight malt sweetness finishes it off. Not the freshest wet-hop ale by any means, but nice. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: I like a dry beer - but many times, hoppy session beer can seem TOO dry, insubstantial even. This isn't: there's a slight surge of sweetness right before the swallow, and it helps give it enough body. Because the hop bitterness isn't ridiculous, I'd even call this brew refreshing (more so than others in the style, actually). Carbonation is decent, without being harsh. (3.75)

Overall: Session IPAs are a difficult breed to execute - most of them hover around pretty good, with the odd one punching up into greatness (Lagunitas DayTime). This is the former: decent but unimpressive. It manages to be refreshing in chilly weather, so I can't be too hard on it. It just tastes a little ho-hum is all. I'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. (3.25)

3.31/5: There are better beers, but this still gets the job done