Bengali Tiger | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American IPA

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Added by Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

Ratings: 2,326 |  Reviews: 587

2.08/5  rDev -47.1%

16oz can, best before 17 Feb 2013.

A: Somewhat cloudy golden hued with an ample, frothy white head. Turns chunky after a while.

S: A faint smell of grapefruit rind upon a deep inhale. Not much more.

T: Tastes off, bitter with no sweetness on the tongue and no semblance of balance on the palate. Neither an IPA on the malty side like Celebration, balanced like Blind Pig or a hop assault like Racer 5. Hard to call it too hoppy, too bitter or anything...simply off.

M: Nothing redeeming about the flavors that coat the taste buds or the aftertaste.

O: This version of Bengali Tiger, the only one I've had, is a distinctly below average beer, ale and IPA. I was in Brooklyn in July of this year and enjoyed some Sweet Action, both canned and on draft. A recent move from California to Texas has its ups and downs beer wise, but I was psyched to see Sixpoint arrive around the same time. Sweet Action tasted fine and Resin was even better, but this? A near drain-pour for this last of the cans in the four-pack.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

16oz can, straight from the can

A - Can't really judge appearance, 16oz can, picked up while travelling on business, so all I have available is paper cups in the hotel room.

S - awesome. Huge on the candy cinnamon orange aspect. Where lots of great IPAs lean towards the floral, lemon/lime type hop smell, this one is a rich musty orange. Orange rind, orange fruit, clove, cinnamon, some other citrus earthy spice notes. Great nose on this one.

T - follows the nose pretty right on. Mild bitterness to start, then some thick juicy hops following the rich orange and candy notes, very mild cinnamon, nice finish with some lingering bitterness.

M - pretty nice for an IPA. Carb is nice, finishes well, a little coat from the hops.

Overall - I've tried other sixpoint brews and they weren't necessarily my favorite. This one, however, is right on. Lots of points for originality. This beer walks just far enough outside the normal lines of an IPA to make it very interesting, while still hitting all the right IPA notes. I might burn out on this one over time, but I would like the chance to. Picked up a 4 pack and would definitely have another if given the opportunity.

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%

Picked up a can from Wegman's. I had good hopes for this as after trying other Six Point brews were decent brews but this one let me down. I taste nothing but bittering hops from this. Smell is nothing to write home about. Mouthfeel is just bitter to the tongue with dry aftertaste. Sorry, I'll pass on another, maybe on tap will take another chance at it.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from admittedly sparse notes from 7/20/12

Poured into 20oz pint glass.
Large foamy head that hangs around and leaves beautiful lacing.
Piney nose is matched in the flavor, but accompanied by citrusy hops as well.
Good balance between malts and hops.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

I've been interested in trying this for awhile and picked up a 4 pack ($8.99 Total Wine). This is my first beer from Sixpoint.

A - Nice looking medium brown color when poured into a tulip

S - There is element of hops in the smell but I'm also catching a fair amount of yeast which isn't what I want to smell in an IPA

T - Dry with some hops. Lots of malt and a heavy yeast flavor.

M - Carbonation feels about right. No complaints.

Having not had this beer before I'm wondering if I got a bad batch based on the other reviews. The DBD is still over 3 months out so it's not excessively old or anything. I caught way too much yeast in this beer for my liking. Hopefully I can try this on tap somewhere along the way to confirm the bad batch theory. If what I got was what Sixpoint is trying for then I'll save this one for other patrons.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery