Bengali Tiger | Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Added by Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

Reviews: 586 | Ratings: 2,322
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful 16 oz can, into my Opa-Opa pint glass.

A - Nice amber color, good thick head, with lacings. Slightly cloudy
S - nice hops aroma, hints of dairy?
T - crisp bitter flavor, citrus, more hops
M - not sticky. hops bitterness dominates, good fizz retained
O - great beer, what I'm looking for in an everyday IPA. I could drink this all the time, with no complaints

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

I seem to be in the minority in finding that this beer is too overwhelmingly hoppy for my taste. I will try to be objective nonetheless.

Pours a very hazy orange-copper color. Half inch head dissapates quickly and has virtually no lacing.

Scent is slightly on the hoppy side but provides no warning of what the taste holds in store.

Upon tasting, the taste of hops is overpowering and overwhelming. I found it difficult to discern other flavors above this.

If you enjoy a hoppy beer, this is the one for you I guess.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Served in a tulip.

The beer pours a hazy yellow-orange color with about 1 finger of an off-white head. It looks like an unfiltered hoppy beer.

The smell is slightly fruity. It's citrusy, but not in the normal American grapefruit way. It's more of a decaying orange smell. There's a lottle bit of some nice Cascade-like hop aroma, but it's slight.

The taste echos the nose, but is more intense. Lots of orange pith, over-ripe mango, and papaya. The citrus notes are more of a pith flavor rather than zest. There's a slight cannibis flavor that is slightly unpleasant. it's not as bitter as expected.

This isn't as dry as other IPAs I've had. It has some nice body at the end of the tongue, so it stops you from sucking it down like you can with other American IPAs. That beinf said, it's very drinkable and pretty refreshing.

This is a decent beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again, but it is a good solid brew.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Good amber coloration, good head too! This head persisted for a long time and left some lacing on the sides.

S: Malty and hoppy aromas came off this beer, which were very inviting.

T: The malt really comes out in this one. East Coast IPA flavors shine here.

M: Good mouthfeel, the excellent head that came from pouring it persisted for the entire beer and led to a nice foamy texture along with the smooth malty liquid.

O: Very solid East Coast IPA. Like a good English Pale.

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%

Impressed with this IPA.

Appearance: Golden orange

Smell: Malt sweetness accompanied with piney hops

Taste: Notable balance from malt and hops. No heat at 6.4% abv

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth

Overall: Nice work Sixpoint. Really dig this IPA Bold hops balanced by nice sweet malt.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The appearance is a dark orange and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The nose is a yeasty malty hoppy with coriander aroma. The tongue is a hoppy yet malty and somewhat bitter taste. However I like this offering. The mouthfeel is moderate. It has a creamy Overall this is good and will have again.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A – Oh yes, the moment I popped the can open I knew that this was going to be a rock n’ roll IPA. The appearance confirms what I had suspected. A sunset, orange, amber body with just a big lumpy, tightly knit, sticky off-white head that clings lovingly to the glass leaving streaks of lacing. The head just indicates it’s going to be a real good IPA, hoppy and sticky and wonderful.

S – The smell is a combination of fruit and hops with grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and a slight pine as well. There is a muted malt going on in this nose as well. It smells wonderful, and I cannot wait to taste.

T – Wow, just a level of hoppiness going on in here that the head did not betray at all. I’m just getting my tastebuds danced all over. And yet this is not a really intense IPA, but it is intensely good and well crafted. As far as flavor goes, there is a very big juicy, citric fruit element going on in here with grapefruit, tangerine and apricot, especially at the beginning, with very noticeable peach going on here too. Then towards the end the more piney and resinous flavors come into play towards the end. This is delightful, I would legitimately drink this for juice. It is so fresh and crisp and fruity and wonderful. Great IPA.

M – The mouthfeel is actually a little bit off in my opinion for an IPA, it is medium with good carbonation but I would have preferred if it was a little bit more sticky/robust. It’s still good though.

O – Great IPA. Not a hop bomb, but so fruity and clean and crisp and it really just tastes outstanding. I am definitely going to be getting this again. May even put it into the more outer reaches of my regular rotation.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Six Point Resin, so wanted to try this. This is pretty tasty. Nice and smooth hoppy taste complimented with an amber color. Would get again in a heartbeat.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Orange amber cloudy pour from can with huge retention and alot of lacing.

Aroma full of pine mixed with sweetness. Very bready with limited citrus. Not as floral. Beer is well balanced between maltiness and hops.

Taste Is bitter, hop profile, grapefruit shines through but 1 dimensional and was expecting more based on the aroma.

Medium body finish. Effervescent. Bitterness linger on the tongue for a while.

It's a good example but expected more flavor based on my experience with the Resin. Alot of other examples of this beer style to choose from that are better. Probably not my style of American IPA.

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sixpoint's Bengali Tiger has seriously impressed me. After trying Sehr Crisp (The Crisp) a few days ago and being slightly underwhelmed, after having the first sip of Bengali Tiger I can firmly say that I have faith in Sixpoint. As a sidenote, I can't wait to try their Diesel Stout.

Appearance: 4.5
Has a rich, dark amber color. Slightly cloudy with bubbles steadily moving towards the top. Developed a lovely white two-finger head after pouring from the can into an Imperial Pint glass. The head probably stayed for a good three minutes before dissolving. This is a beautiful beer.

Smell: 3.5
There's a strong floral scent, as well as a whiff of lemon or citrus. Overall it's not incredibly strong, but at the same time it's pleasing and gives you a bit of what to expect.

Taste: 4.5
This is an excellent American IPA. The flavor is hard to pinpoint at first. It hits the tongue with a tangy and slightly sweet flavor, which then dissolves into a flowery/hoppy taste with a hint of pine and citrus again. The aftertaste is almost refreshing, tasting a bit like tree sap (don't let this put you off though, it's only tastes faintly of it and it's done really, REALLY well). Honestly, I have a hard time putting this beer down after I sip it, it really tastes that good.

Mouthfeel: 4.5
Hits the tongue with a burst of flavor and carbonation, yet it manages to maintain this feeling the entire time you're tasting it. It doesn't feel like water or molasses when it's on your tongue; instead it feels like what a beer should feel like. Few beers I have had manage this good of a mouthfeel.

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass. A rich orange, the color of a Bengal tiger of course! Smells like an early morning hike through a Rocky Mountain pine forest - herbal piney resin and very fresh and crisp. This is a hoppy mother with white pepper spiciness yet balanced by just right maltiness. Resiny full mouth feel and a moderately dry finish. Excellent!

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Bought this in a can and poured it into a Pint glass to try.
Upon opening a nice sish was given from the can and the distinct and described pine and citrus, grapefruit like, aroma becomes very prominent.
Pouring its leave a nice simple head and the colour is a deep golden orange, looks appetising. Once in the glass the smell becomes potent and everyone around me could smell it 3 seats away.
The taste is refreshing and crisp with a fruity after taste, however the 'after-after' taste was and awful dry chemical feeling, not enjoyable at all. Had to leave it after 3 sips. such a shame, wish i could have enjoyed it more, I did have Lager to drink before this, so maybe thats what influenced my opinion.

18oz can
Poured into a SanTan pint glass
Best before Aug 18

Appears hazy, bright orange with white head that dissipates quickly, no lacing. Smells like pine resin, dank and floral hops. Taste is just like the smell, but with a powerful bitterness and a touch of bready malt. Citrusy tropical fruit comes forward as it warms. Light bodied with medium carbonation, drinks smoothly and has a crisp finish with lingering bitterness. Great portrayal of an east coast IPA.

3.44/5  rDev -12.2%

I picked this up as a 4 pack of 16oz pounders. I'm a sucker for any kind of canned craft beer.

A- Poured into a large beer mug, I got a short lasting, 2 finger, off-white head which topped a crystal clear orange amber body. Very little lacing to speak of.

S- Sweet and fruity with big citric notes. Slight phenols poking through. Plenty of hops to come…

T- Pretty big taste which is clearly about the hops in this one. Slippery hop oils coat the mouth generously. I’m usually a big fan of any largely hopped IPA, but the flavor from these hops seems to be a pit peculiar. Maybe it’s the varietal; maybe it’s just me…

M- Fairly one sided, sharp hop bitterness which sticks around fairly long. In my humble opinion, the malts could stand to be a bit more pronounced in order to help even it out a bit.

Over all it's a good beer, but I’m not sure I’d actively seek it out for any other reason than craving a 16oz canned IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Ive had this a million times before considering I live in Brooklyn (on draft as many as in a can), just never took the time to write a formal review

A - Poured from a 16oz can into a normal pint glass. Its a cloudy sort of copper orange. Very good head of around 2 fingers, almost pure white. Good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S - Piney citrus hops. Very pleasing. Sort of the normal single IPA smell. Its got a nose but the taste is what makes the IPA a truly great beer.

T - Full of citrus and pine sort of hops. I mean full of them. Overtones of grapefruit and orange predominately. Good bitter backbone. Taste very very fresh. Considering it probably only traveled 5 miles to the store I bought it at.

M - Its sort of sticky for lack of a better word. Sticky with being somewhat dry if thats possible.

O - Solid IPA. Well done Sixpoint thats why all us Brooklyn and NYC people love you. Keep it up. The fact these come in cans is just a testament to the fact you cant judge a beer by its container.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Dull, slightly-hazy dark copper. Excellent head that lasts, dropping dense lace. Aroma is bitter orange, floral grass/hay, a little pine sap, and clean malt.

Flavor is good, but a little thin. Citric C-hops, a little tropical tang, and faint grainy malt. Superbly-balanced, crisp, and refreshing. Just enough of a bitter kick on the end to let you know it's an IPA. Slight alcohol in back as well.

Moderate carbonation; body towards the lighter side. I like the lower, more balanced bitterness here, but I wish there was more fresh hop flavor. It drinks more like an English IPA -- hops are in front, but malt and alcohol are barely behind. The beer is ridiculously refreshing and I like it a lot. I could drink 3 or 4 pints of these like water. Unfortunately that's not a trait I look for in an IPA.

I had this out of can poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a lightly hazed amber copper color with a 2 finger white frothy head. Some nice sticky lacing left around the glass, looks like Bengal stripes (no pun intended).

S - Hoppy, as expected with an IPA, citrus fruits with earthy undertones. Some sweet malty nose going on in there as well. Crisp smell, as if the scent of the beer carries a sharpness to it, I like it!

T - Hop flavor right off the bat. This has a wonderful citrus floral hop profile with a mild bitterness flavor at the end. Crisp clean taste that is subtle yet packed with the right amount of balance.

M - Rather on the light side with mild carbonation. Flavor stays with your toungue for a while - not a bad thing.

O - This is a nice beer for any weather and any event. I like this a lot and will definatly be picking more of it up.

4.64/5  rDev +18.4%

Wow! This is a fantastic, very drinkable IPA. I love this, and will make sure I always have some on hand.

Great grapefruit nose that I can smell from a foot away.

The taste matches the smell. Pretty citrusy hop forward with a pretty subtle malt backbone. Very little sweetness or taste of alcohol.

If you're a hophead interested in a session IPA, give it a try. Very impressive. I could drink this all night long.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Growler from Elmwood Village Beer Merchant. Hazy dark gold with a long lasting head and good lacing. Aroma is a mix of things with nothing really standing out. Lemon, pine and pepper. This a very spicy IPA that is well balanced. I was afraid after reading about this beer that the malt would be too sweet but it wasn't. Nicely done!

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a mason jar. Why? Because it was clean.

A- gorgeous. When poured it leaves an off-white head upon a perfect orange body. As you drink the lace sticks to the glass like a sheet of ice and refuses to withdrawl.

S- different. The piney/citrus notes are there like any other ipa, but with a twist of caramel, bread & butter. It simply drops the "drink me" bomb. Obviously, I submit.

T- once again, bread and citrus; with a heavy touch of pine. The caramel cuts nicely against the hops, but doesn't hinder the resins from asserting their roles.

M- full and refined. Silky yet sparkling.

O- much better than I expected. I was assuming it to be just another ipa, but was pleasantly surprised.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Had the Bengali on tap at Sunset Grille in Boston this weekend. Nice coppery color with very good head and lacing that would not end. Taste is a nice mix of maltiness and hoppiness, I wouldn't call it over-hopped, but up there with say a DFH 90 min. Smells of citrus but doesn't knock you over. Very drinkable, could easily have 3 or 4 of these in a night.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy orange marmalade color with some yeast sediment settling to the bottom of the glass. There is a solid two fingers of offwhite head that doesn't budge. I'm expecting fantastic lacing.

The head is so thick that I don't get much smell coming out of the beer! What I do pick up on is a pretty spicy, herbally hop nose and a caramel, bready backbone.

The taste follows the nose in many senses. The first thing I pick up on the is the citrusy characteristics of the hops. I get orange more than anything. As the hops fade out, I get a bit of an apricot or peach flavor as it heads into a bready finish.

A relatively medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I could almost go for a little less C02.

Overall, a pretty decent IPA. My can wasn't the definition of fresh so I'd like to try it a bit fresher next time. The spicy, citrusy hops were nice and the malt backbone balanced it out well.

My first foray into the world of Sixpoint. They might be new to Chicago, or I might just have trouble buying anything but 3 Floyd's. Life is tough in the Windy City. Let's get in there.

A - poured into my FFF pint glass because I STILL have yet to get proper glassware. FML. Pours a light bronze with decent clarity/slight haze. The head is a full 2 fingers and even. Settles down in about 5 minutes. The lacing is nice throughout - better be, for what the can claims.

S - this beer smelled great the moment I opened it. Really filled my little office up actually. Piney hops with a little resin. Citrus too. Something really floral and refreshing deep in there at the end of the sniff. Love it.

T - malty, bready sweetness at the beginning that transitions nicely to some citrus hop bitterness. The bitterness hangs on at the end. Not tasting much alcohol here at all. Quite good.

M - medium. I don't know why "syrupy" keeps popping into my head, because I don't think it's thick like that at all, but maybe my subconscious knows better. A little oily.

O - A great first beer for me from Sixpoint. Would gladly drink these all night. Don't think it's a 99 like the Bros do, but they also gave Two Hearted a 70 something, so wtf do they know?

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A - dark, copper/caramel color. A small fluffy head. The beer hugs the glass for a bit when taking a swig.

S - Hops, and lots of 'em!

T/M/D - this beer is a pleasant surprise! It is thick and punchy, and very hoppy. It reminds me of DFH90 but with less of an apricot taste, and a slightly burnt character. Delicious!

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me, you've probably been tired of the constant hop bombardment which seems to be the rage these days. You crazy kids with your hip hops! Anyway, I'm as big a fan of double IPAs as anyone, but the IPA style in general seems to have been overpowered by extremities of late. I feel like breweries are trying to outdo each other to make the "hoppiest" beer, with little regard for balance.

Bengali Tiger is an American IPA with its wits about it. In the nose, its floral hops that strike first, with a mild malty sweetness to back it up. Definitely reminiscent, at least, of Goldings. Rich amber in color with an unremarkable head. But you summon this one for its taste, assuredly. Rolling, earthy hops that sustain but never overpower, balanced with a subtle yet sturdy malt frame. This is the first SixPoint I had, and I'm impressed!

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery