Brownstone | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Our bedrock Brown Ale, and one of the first beers ever brewed by Sixpoint. A smooth, malty trip down a hop-lined Brooklyn street.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-15-2005

3.9

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is light brown with a decent amount of foamy head.

It has a good brown malt flavor, but it is a bit short on the flavor. It's soft and drinkable, but nothing very exciting. It's a decent brown ale, but nothing I'd go crazy over. I don't generally care for brown ales without the load of flavor that this lacks.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours your standard chocolate brown color with a moderate bubbled khaki head that left some nice webby lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of a light grapefruit hop. Some metal notes from the malt and a subtle toasted malt.

Hops dominate the flavor of the American Brown Ale. Grapefruit in nature but of are a strength that won't confuse this with an IPA. Some leafy and grass notes from the hops as well. The malt is fairly weak for a brown ale. It provides some toasted flavor and perhaps a hint of brown sugar and chocolate. Some dry lemony notes in the finish.

Light to moderate feel with appropriate carbonation. Dry and almost astringent in the finish, not overly bitter.

A weak brown ale base with a good hop profile. Sixpoint definitely cut down on the yeast profile from the last time I had this beer. Would love to see more body to this beer.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brownstone - Pint Can

First off let me say that I will try just about any micro in a can, I don't know why but it is appealing to me. Also let me state that I am not particularly fond of Brown Ale's for the most part, so my review is somewhat biased in that regard.

Look - Pours a dark amber with a thick foamy head.

Smell - Malty and mahogany, tingles the nose a bit with bitterness.

Taste - Bitter and malty with mahogany overtones, made me think of a "Porter Jr."

Mouthfeel - Bitter mahogany. Not a trace of alcoholic content on the pallet. Fairly drinkable but would not have a second one.

Overall - Not overly impressed but it is above average. Decent, but not amazing. If I had to place this somewhere I would call it "New Castle's bigger brother" or a "Porter in training".

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

This was a recent review of the growler version:

Got this at the new whoe foods on the upper west side in Manhattan. The best thing about that place is the growlers. I wanted something light in alchohol. I'm not a huge brown fan but this was really good for the style. YOu could very distinctly discern between the maltiness of the dark malts while still finding light enough in alchohol to drink as a session. With my new found appreciation of this beer I will enjoy it as a session beer in Winter, like a Guiness.

---

The cask version was the same. Good but not overwhelming in any way. Worth trying.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.
This beer has a dark brown color body with a thin tan head. The smell has a roasty malt and hop to it smell to it. The taste has a maltness upfront and then a nice hop backbone. The hop very nice for a brown ale. Mouthfeel is smooth and overall very tasty for a brown ale.

Brownstone from Sixpoint Brewery