Sweet Action

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Sweet ActionSweet Action
Notes: If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.
Reviews: 616 | Ratings: 2,370
3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sweet Action, indeed...

The moment I poured it out it caught my attention - copperish colored beer with a thick, foamy head and good lacing down the glass - checking off all the attributes I love to see in a brew. The smell was hop-forward, making me think this was more IPA than ale with light hints of citrus. I found it to be light on carbonation but astringent as well, with a taste that more hop than anything else. Though I will say I think I took in notes of grapefruit and maybe even oranges. A solid beer, one that I'm sharing with my son, as we wait her on his mother to go to the gun show...

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Canned in hopefully what is a crafty craft can, purchased from Mark’s and Spencer’s
Pours a very slightly hazy golden body with massive white head
Aroma is a thick slightly sweet piney affair
A bit barley sugar a bit trad English bitter with a touch of honey

2.52/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

L- Dark gold, slightly hazy, pours with 1cm fine-bubble white head - later recedes to lacing.
S- Quite a feint but contemporary [hop-induced] aroma of flowers/tropical fruits...
T- ... which, as night follows days means it's very hoppy/dry. Verging on a hop-bomb, not sure after 2 sips, but it's close to being over hoppy/bitter/dry for me. If there are subtleties re: fruit/flowers sadly they are lost to me under the almost withering hoppy bitterness.
F- Contemporary, fashionably hoppy [such beers usually have labelling that lists all the various hops involved, this one has the ingredients listed in 4 languages so perhaps there isn't room]. It's over-hopped to me, any sense of balance on the palate is lost. Very well carbonated in the mouth.
O- This might work for me better on a day when it's 30C+ as it should slake a thirst fast. For February there is nothing comforting and warming here; you could perhaps say it's the opposite of a 'winter warmer' style.
355ml can. BB: 9/Sep/19 I bought this in a West London supermarket, IIRC Waitrose.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Golden, one finger head shrank fairly quickly to a ring.

Smell: Mainly grassy, citrusy hops.

Taste: Like the smell, dominated by grassy, citrusy hops, with a little grainy malt sweetness, but really pretty dry. Very smooth bitterness, leaves a clean hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, probably lightened by the hops and the moderately-high carbonation.

Overall: It's hoppier than I would expect for an "American Blonde Ale," but that'll appeal to a lot of people today, and I like it. A change from modern citrus-tropical fruit hops, maybe to older styles.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wasn't too impressed with this beer as it tastes kind of off....hard to describe. It just tastes like something is missing which put me off a bit. Possibly I'll try it again someday buy won't be buying a sixer.

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a think 2 finger head that dissipates into a thin film. Color of sunset gold. Plenty of lacing.

S: Citrus, piney hops, caramel.

T: Piney hop bitterness is front and center, but it's reigned in towards the end to finish mildly dry. An orange, wheaty, creaminess complements the profile and wraps up clean for the next sip.

O: Unique beer with a slightly different profile. I think it's a successful endeavor and executed well.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a inch and a half white head that dissipated fairly quickly and left little lacing. Smells of citrus fruits, wheat and sweet malts. Tastes of sweet malts, wheat, caramel, bitter apricots, grapefruit, grapefruit peel, pine, grass and floral notes. On the light side of medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry finish.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy gold orange . Around a medium body as well as medium carbonation.
Aroma is grapefruit , pine, grassy, some malt and grain. Aroma isn't overpowering but still pleasant.
Taste is similar to aroma, bitter citrus peel and mild pine are the prominent flavors. Some grass and cereal/grain follow
Tastes a lot like a pale ale. It's good and worked well with food. Not too memorable but still a decent beer

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a hazy orange color. The head is white with moderate retention. Lacing is minimal.

Very malty. You get some caramel, honey, bread, and light floral hops.

Again honey in the taste. A bit more bitter than anticipated. Its a very different blonde ale.

Medium bodied mouthfeel. Well carbonated. Its crisp.

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Light amber. Cloudy. Decent head and lace.
S: A weak apricot smell, with a back impression of rope
M: Bitter overtones, but thin overall
T: Blonde or ESB style? Tried to be both. This was from a new case sampler being sold while the rep was at the store. All I got from this one was wet rope flavor. Not much else.
O: This wasn't my favorite of the sampler. One of those "Yeah, I drank them because I had them" beers.

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Golden blonde with white head.

Smell is piny and fruity.

Has a bold flavor with a smooth mouth feel. The pine and fruit from the smell come through quite a bit but there is also a mellow sweetness that smooths it out a bit.

As far as hoppy beers go, I like this one.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a Spieglau wheat beer glass. Looks golden/yellow,orange. Nice foamy white head about 1". Minimal lacing. Smells like muted citrus,earthy,slight pine. Tastes like a wheat beer. Mellow,subtle flavors. Some hop bite. Feels crisp with a dry finish. Overall this seems like a delicate beer. All the flavors and nuances are subtle. If I did not know this was a wheat beer I would think it bland. Not bad,worth trying.Might buy again. Actually very refreshing on this 90 degree day.

2.82/5  rDev -28.1%

Sixpoint makes some of the best canned artwork in the New York area. They have been copied by other breweries without a doubt. Anyways, enough talk & on to the review. Sweet Action does not taste much like a blonde ale to me but more like a strong west coast pale ale. Personally, I don't like drinking strong tasting hoppy pale ales very often, so when I expect a blond ale then that is what I want the beer to taste like. it's still worth a test out if you like this sort of thing. Cheers! C

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours an almost clear honey yellow with a thick white head that slowly recedes to a thin cap that leaves great lacing. The aroma is lemony sweet corn. The flavor starts a touch tart and has some grassy hop bitterness. Feel is soft and a bit watery. Overall not impressed with this offering.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a pint glass

Pours a pale orange color with a white head, no retention, slight lacing and carbonation, slight haze. Soft notes of citrus, pine, and a herbal earthy note with a touch of stone fruit, light wheat note as well, touch of malts. Subtle flavors of citrus and pine, light bitterness, finish is slightly piney with a touch of malts, not picking up the wheat that I got from the nose. Mouthfeel is light bodied with grainy feel, finish is dry.

Not a big fan of American blond ales, this one is solid but I'd never pick this up again, drank this one because it came in a Sixpoint variety pack.

3.84/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 oz can dated 14OCT2017. Pours a slightly cloudy Amber color with a nice head. Hoppy biscuit notes on the nose and palate, and a bitter finish. A pleasant beer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a glass from a can.

A - Pours a light gold, forming a medium gold body in the glass. One inch thick white head with sticky lacing on the glass.

S - Balanced aroma of light malt and spicy hops. Nothing exciting but not bad.

T - Straw pale malt flavor up front, but then a strong delicious candy-like caramel flavor weaves through to the finish. Not expected and very surprising. Medium hop bitterness that becomes pronounced in the finish.

M - More medium bodied than light, with high carbonation. The carbonation feels like it washes out some of the flavor and would be a bit smoother if the level was lower, but still works.

O - Great appearance and flavor. The aroma is a bit boring but shouldn't be too pronounced anyways based on the style. Overall, a nice blonde with a bit more flavor than the average.

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this one on draft at a local bar....great aroma, bronze, slightly cloudy appearance with a big foamy head with a crisp hoppy flavor and smooth finish. I liked this one a lot...

4.47/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I hadn’t had a Sweet Action in some time, and it beckoned. Billed as a cream ale, this 5% session beer delivers a malty, bready note while the hops dance tantalizingly around the perimeter. Carbonation is spot on and it tastes as good as it looks. Not as hoppy as an IPA, of course, and a tad lighter than a lager. As I said, it beckoned., and I’m glad I answered the call. You will be, too.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Can dated June 17th 2017 - Poured into an English pub glass - I received this sample from Sixpoint for review

L - Pours a clear golden amber color, foamy off-white 1 finger head that lingers for a few minutes before circling the glass. thin lacing as it goes down.

S - Upfront bready malt, hops and a faint sweetness.

T - Light bitter hops with a solid malt backbone.

F - Medium bodied, great carbonation.

O - I don't have a lot of experience with cream ales, however of the ones I've had this holds its own. I very much enjoyed the hop character, and the easy drinking quality of this beer.

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into a pint glass

L: Pours a clear copper, with a 1-finger head that lingers a bit. Average lacing.

S: A balanced aroma of hops, bread, & malts.

T/F: Like the nose, the flavor is a nicely balanced mix of light hops, bread and malts. A little sweet up front, but not too much, and just a little bitterness at the end. Overall, very smooth. Good carbonation and a medium body.

O: Nice beer. Feels a bit like a Pale Ale. A good choice for something lighter than an IPA, but not as light as a lager.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a hazy orange/brown colored body with a small one finger off white head appears for about twenty seconds and then gently fades The smell had a combination of toffee and hops. The taste was toffee and hops up front, a bit of caramel and some slight malts come in as it warms. The palate was about a light to medium with a superior smooth creaminess (I see why this is a cream ale). Overall, this was a pretty drinkable cream ale. I would definitely have this again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Time for an update. I've had the updated version of Sweet Action. BA still has it listed as a Cream Ale but Sixpoint now calls it a Blond Ale. Like many have said in recent reviews, it tastes a lot like a pale ale and that is how I would characterize it. that said I would think it is one very good pale ale. When I read the BA description of a Blond Ale it seem, to me, that this is largely defined by color. I really like what Sixpoint has done with this. There is a ton of flavor packed into a low ABV beer. I liked the old Sweet Action but I really like the new Sweet Action.

I believe I got one of the last 6 packs of the old recipe Sweet Action as the Best By date is in July. According to the Sixpoint website the beer will now have a brewed on and best by date. I'll revisit this when I find one with the new recipe. That said, I really enjoyed this beer. As they point out it is a hard beer to classify and I wasn't sure I liked it when I first tried it. But the next day I revisited it and found that it seems to grow on me. It pours a deep amber gold with a really nice head that leaves a lot of lacing as it dissipates. The taste is different and I really can't compare it to anything else I've had. There is some sweetness but nothing like the horrid Honey Wheat I had from Blue Moon. Some light bitterness from the hops as well. Good medium mouthfeel delivered with relatively low abv.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a pretty, deeper gold with a decent head that retained nicely.

Typical citrus smell, but then plenty of bready malts and a surprising honey sweetness waft out of the glass. Plenty strong on the aroma.

The taste is quite well restrained and smooth. Enough citrus follows a malty initial taste to layer the flavors nicely. Just enough grassy and herbal, a touch of resin, and a pleasant bitterness.

An enjoyable beer, and I guess it has to be called something so it is a cream ale...it feels more pale ale with some cream ale elements, but OK. Regardless, it is an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not what you may expect in the word sweet... it has a very nice amber color with nice foam, but does not last long. smell has a nice citrus to it. taste comes across for me a little dry as with the feel... it comes close to the name " Sweet Action"...so don't be afraid of the name. Nice beer all in all.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery