Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,314 |  Reviews: 597
4.22/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -4.9%

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I hadn’t had a Sweet Action in some time, and it beckoned. Billed as a cream ale, this 5% session beer delivers a malty, bready note while the hops dance tantalizingly around the perimeter. Carbonation is spot on and it tastes as good as it looks. Not as hoppy as an IPA, of course, and a tad lighter than a lager. As I said, it beckoned., and I’m glad I answered the call. You will be, too.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Can dated June 17th 2017 - Poured into an English pub glass - I received this sample from Sixpoint for review

L - Pours a clear golden amber color, foamy off-white 1 finger head that lingers for a few minutes before circling the glass. thin lacing as it goes down.

S - Upfront bready malt, hops and a faint sweetness.

T - Light bitter hops with a solid malt backbone.

F - Medium bodied, great carbonation.

O - I don't have a lot of experience with cream ales, however of the ones I've had this holds its own. I very much enjoyed the hop character, and the easy drinking quality of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.91/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into a pint glass

L: Pours a clear copper, with a 1-finger head that lingers a bit. Average lacing.

S: A balanced aroma of hops, bread, & malts.

T/F: Like the nose, the flavor is a nicely balanced mix of light hops, bread and malts. A little sweet up front, but not too much, and just a little bitterness at the end. Overall, very smooth. Good carbonation and a medium body.

O: Nice beer. Feels a bit like a Pale Ale. A good choice for something lighter than an IPA, but not as light as a lager.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a hazy orange/brown colored body with a small one finger off white head appears for about twenty seconds and then gently fades The smell had a combination of toffee and hops. The taste was toffee and hops up front, a bit of caramel and some slight malts come in as it warms. The palate was about a light to medium with a superior smooth creaminess (I see why this is a cream ale). Overall, this was a pretty drinkable cream ale. I would definitely have this again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Time for an update. I've had the updated version of Sweet Action. BA still has it listed as a Cream Ale but Sixpoint now calls it a Blond Ale. Like many have said in recent reviews, it tastes a lot like a pale ale and that is how I would characterize it. that said I would think it is one very good pale ale. When I read the BA description of a Blond Ale it seem, to me, that this is largely defined by color. I really like what Sixpoint has done with this. There is a ton of flavor packed into a low ABV beer. I liked the old Sweet Action but I really like the new Sweet Action.

I believe I got one of the last 6 packs of the old recipe Sweet Action as the Best By date is in July. According to the Sixpoint website the beer will now have a brewed on and best by date. I'll revisit this when I find one with the new recipe. That said, I really enjoyed this beer. As they point out it is a hard beer to classify and I wasn't sure I liked it when I first tried it. But the next day I revisited it and found that it seems to grow on me. It pours a deep amber gold with a really nice head that leaves a lot of lacing as it dissipates. The taste is different and I really can't compare it to anything else I've had. There is some sweetness but nothing like the horrid Honey Wheat I had from Blue Moon. Some light bitterness from the hops as well. Good medium mouthfeel delivered with relatively low abv.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

perfect with my juicy burger on my new grill. All the way down in texas.
Not a cream ale...pale ale

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%