Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,314 |  Reviews: 597

The worse thing I've ever tasted. Worse than lambic!!!!

1.05/5  rDev -73.1%

I am reviewing this against a style guideline of what is considered a cream ale -- basically the malt and hop bill of a light lager that increases the use of corn and uses an ale yeast fermented at cool temps to provide clean lager-like attributes. Think Gennesee Cream Ale as a reference.

This is not a cream ale. The first thing I noticed were intense hop aromas reminiscent if pine. The only aroma you should get in a cream ale are some light fruity esters and maybe some corn. Flavor was sweet and caramelly with a big hit of pine hops. Again, not a cream ale. The color is way too dark for a cream ale.

This beer tastes like a pale ale to me that is heavy on crystal malt. Somewhat tasty, but the victim of wrong categorization. The malt is way too big for a cream ale, as is the alcohol.

1.25/5  rDev -68%

1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

1.67/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Unique taste but not for me

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

2.36/5  rDev -39.6%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with a couple solid looking fingers of slightly off-white head. This retains with a thin sudsy layer that skims the surface and leaving back a sticky ring of lacing. The aroma smells grassy and earthy with green citrus and sweet gains pretty much controlling this. As this warms, a real dank and earthy core to this emerges. Can’t really say that I’m overly enjoying this.

This taste is surprisingly hoppy, with a citric character here that leaves a good bit of raw and pithy feeling bitterness behind. This is filled out on the edge by malt sweetness, with a bready flush of flavor coming out strongest across the back. Hops return for the finish though with a dry and gritty bitterness that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste behind. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp feeling throughout with some smoothness to this around the edges. I seem to be picking up good bit of an oily slickness as well to the body, which could speak to the amount of hops in this.

I get this beer in theory. A hopped up take on a Cream Ale. Unfortunately the hop profiles in these canned Sixpoint offerings are so inconsistent and this one displayed the same overly raw character to it that really turned me off from their Autumnation as well. I didn’t really care for this at all. This beer is much better on draft.

2.37/5  rDev -39.4%

Tallboy can poured into a Pint Glass. Best before April 2012.

A - Pours a very hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head that settles to a thick cap and leaves a sheet of lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Messy aromas of grain, some grassy hops, and Belgian-style yeast. Seriously, is this stuff supposed to be Belgian-inspired or is it just poor quality?! The Bengali Tiger I had had the same dirty Belgian yeast profile.
T - Similar to the nose, grain, pears, some grassy hops, and messy yeast. I don't get it.
M - Smooth, crisp mouthfeel, actually a very quenching brew, with a medium-thin body and good carbonation.
O - Not a fan. I don't know if I'm getting bad cans or if I'm just extremely aware of certain flavors in their beer, but no more Sixpoint for me.

2.43/5  rDev -37.9%

Clear amber with massive beige head of foamy hills, leaving behind multiple layers of lacing.

Astringent metallic pine nose, with a very shy hint of sweet honey. With the appearance and aroma, I find myself so far wondering how this is a Cream Ale.

And my suspicions are confirmed at first taste. It's closer to a pale ale than a cream, but it's neither. Bitter, dry, piney with some toffee, and nothing like a cream whatsoever. Should be deleted from the catalogue, or renamed.

This misses the mark for multiple styles instead of passably achieving one.

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

2.47/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours a hazy bright orange colour. Not what I was expecting from a cream ale. The smell is unexpected as well. It's got a zesty citrus smell.
The taste is more of the same. Nothing I would expect from a cream ale at all. This is more like how a hefeweisen tastes. I find it very peculiar that this would be identified as a cream ale. I feel like some other category would suit it far better. It's not a bad beer, it's just not what I was looking for. This is what I would want from a summer ale on the rare occasions that I'm in the mood for one.

2.48/5  rDev -36.6%