Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Style: Cream Ale

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,305 |  Reviews: 596
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

4.47/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I hadn’t had a Sweet Action in some time, and it beckoned. Billed as a cream ale, this 5% session beer delivers a malty, bready note while the hops dance tantalizingly around the perimeter. Carbonation is spot on and it tastes as good as it looks. Not as hoppy as an IPA, of course, and a tad lighter than a lager. As I said, it beckoned., and I’m glad I answered the call. You will be, too.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Can dated June 17th 2017 - Poured into an English pub glass - I received this sample from Sixpoint for review

L - Pours a clear golden amber color, foamy off-white 1 finger head that lingers for a few minutes before circling the glass. thin lacing as it goes down.

S - Upfront bready malt, hops and a faint sweetness.

T - Light bitter hops with a solid malt backbone.

F - Medium bodied, great carbonation.

O - I don't have a lot of experience with cream ales, however of the ones I've had this holds its own. I very much enjoyed the hop character, and the easy drinking quality of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into a pint glass

L: Pours a clear copper, with a 1-finger head that lingers a bit. Average lacing.

S: A balanced aroma of hops, bread, & malts.

T/F: Like the nose, the flavor is a nicely balanced mix of light hops, bread and malts. A little sweet up front, but not too much, and just a little bitterness at the end. Overall, very smooth. Good carbonation and a medium body.

O: Nice beer. Feels a bit like a Pale Ale. A good choice for something lighter than an IPA, but not as light as a lager.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a hazy orange/brown colored body with a small one finger off white head appears for about twenty seconds and then gently fades The smell had a combination of toffee and hops. The taste was toffee and hops up front, a bit of caramel and some slight malts come in as it warms. The palate was about a light to medium with a superior smooth creaminess (I see why this is a cream ale). Overall, this was a pretty drinkable cream ale. I would definitely have this again.

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I believe I got one of the last 6 packs of the old recipe Sweet Action as the Best By date is in July. According to the Sixpoint website the beer will now have a brewed on and best by date. I'll revisit this when I find one with the new recipe. That said, I really enjoyed this beer. As they point out it is a hard beer to classify and I wasn't sure I liked it when I first tried it. But the next day I revisited it and found that it seems to grow on me. It pours a deep amber gold with a really nice head that leaves a lot of lacing as it dissipates. The taste is different and I really can't compare it to anything else I've had. There is some sweetness but nothing like the horrid Honey Wheat I had from Blue Moon. Some light bitterness from the hops as well. Good medium mouthfeel delivered with relatively low abv.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

perfect with my juicy burger on my new grill. All the way down in texas.
Not a cream ale...pale ale

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a pretty, deeper gold with a decent head that retained nicely.

Typical citrus smell, but then plenty of bready malts and a surprising honey sweetness waft out of the glass. Plenty strong on the aroma.

The taste is quite well restrained and smooth. Enough citrus follows a malty initial taste to layer the flavors nicely. Just enough grassy and herbal, a touch of resin, and a pleasant bitterness.

An enjoyable beer, and I guess it has to be called something so it is a cream ale...it feels more pale ale with some cream ale elements, but OK. Regardless, it is an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not what you may expect in the word sweet... it has a very nice amber color with nice foam, but does not last long. smell has a nice citrus to it. taste comes across for me a little dry as with the feel... it comes close to the name " Sweet Action"...so don't be afraid of the name. Nice beer all in all.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

3.96/5  rDev +1%

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery