Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,321 |  Reviews: 598

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sixpoint - Sweet Action - Pint Can

Look - Pours hazy orange-amber (peach) with a smaller, fizzy head. Great lacing. Maximum carbonation. You can see this brew has body.

Smell - Orange cream, more sweet than tart. Subtle floral hops. Smells full, hearty, and creamy.

Taste - Full flavored carbonated citrus with a creamy malt introduction. Delicate hop balance after.

Mouthfeel - Malty and sticky. Decent drinkability. Reminds me of a dessert beer.

Overall - Interested brew, worth a try for sure. Sixpoint never ceases to amaze. Not really my bag but true to style and quite good at it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a orange with a slight red tint with a froffy head. Smells of grassy notes that dominate the beer, but otherwise pretty bland. Tastes of watery light grain with very slight hop bite, not very many different flavors. Beer is very light bodied and refreshing, goes down smooth, and good carbonation. Overall, an above average beer.

Presently, this is the #1 ranked Cream Ale here on BA.

Served in a Delirium Tremens shaped glass.

A: Hmmm.... Pretty scary looking (saturated) dark orange color, cloudy as hell, and with a soft marshmallow topping.

S: Definitely sweet, but not as candy-like as I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. More like a citrus, kids orange drink without the citrus zing.

T: Definitely some bitter component in there that was very unusual yet most inviting. It's not really a hop citrus sort of bitterness, more like a dark baker's chocolate type on top of melted orange sherbet.

M: In addition to the bitterness, the sugar component wasn't syrupy. The C02 cuts that down to size. It had a fresh quality that almost tasted like it was fresh from the tap, with some mild, splotchy lacing to boot.

O: I see why this is ranked so high. I'll definitely have this one again.

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A coworker was recently enumerating the prowess of Sixpoint to which I suggested that the few beers of theirs I had tried were all closer to average than stellar. Today I decided to buy a couple singles.

Poured into a stange. Produces amazingly thick lace. What a laceterpiece I had about halfway through the glass... The color is a muted shade somewhere between amber, umber, and rust. Brighter than the lager.

The aroma is sweet alright, I smelled it from a distance and was not sure I wanted to know more. American hops lend a spicy and citrus bent to the sweet doughy malt.

Sweet breadiness abounds as does the dense foliage of hops tossed into the beer. Seemed out of place but I wasn't really complaining once I got used to it.

Easily drinkable. I was guessing this was some version of a golden ale or session ale - I don't care for the fact that many of their beers are deliberately vague about the style within. If I wanted to taste a beer blind I'd have wrapped it in aluminum foil so that I couldn't see the blue liquid within.

This would be a good one to take to an event or something, well, if it were cheaper at least.

Cheers! Abort!

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

The web site states that this beer is a combo of styles: part wheat, cream ale, and pale ale.

Poured a 4 finger head in a pint glass, which did not retain itself. Golden color.

Light fruit in the aroma. Mouth feel a bit carbonated.

The taste was weird. A real combo of styles: some fruit, malty, light bitterness. Well brewed, but I not my favorite combo of styles.

This doesn't taste like a cream ale as listed. Definitely a style combo. It's an interesting beer, but not my type of style.

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured frow a growler into a pint glass with a vigorous pour.

A
Cloudy orange. Large bubble lacing with a lingering head

T
After tasting a sample at the growler store, decided to give this one a try. Really smooth and for me a very different beer. After all of the IPAs this one has minimal bite. Makes up for it it has some complex tastes going on.

M
A little thin with enough carbonation.

O
I liked this one because it I different for me.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured out a few punces in a pint glass to get an idea, but I'm a firm believer in drinking from the can. It poured out a golden amber color. Plenty of foamy pale yellow head. Strong retention and lacing.

S: I was pleasantly surprised from the huge piney hop smell from this one. Behind the hops was some fruity sweetness that kind of reminded me of grape juice.

T: A subtle version of the smell with some hints of apricot.

M: Medium and creamy body with medium carbonation. Very smooth.

O: I was very impressed with this one. Sixpoint are masters at the dry hop. All of their beers that I've tried have this in common. The smell on this one was incredible, especially when I was expecting very little because of the style. On top of that, this beer had a lot more character than any other cream ale I've had.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery