Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,335 |  Reviews: 603
4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color and a modest head that drops to a ringlet while leaving a bit of lace

Smell: Grapefruit with some biscuity undertones

Taste: Immediate blend of grapefruit and the biscuit with increasing fruity bitterness developing by mid-palate; nice blend of bitter fruit and crisp Germanic malt flavor after the swallow with a hint of sweet floral action on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Just a great drinking beer for a hot day (or a cold one for that matter); refreshingly crisp but with nice fruity complexity

4.3/5  rDev +10%

The beer pours a hazy dark golden color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pale and carapils malt scent along with a mildly hoppy aroma. The taste is great. It has a refreshingly smooth pale malt flavor with a very citrusy hop finish. It's light and quite bitter; very tastey indeed. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an excellent drinking beer. It's light enough for summer drinking, but hoppy enough for the alpha heads to enjoy.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%

Off the tap from Union Square Cafe...
Color was hazy/cloudy light yellow
Head was thin, foamy and Lacy
Aroma smelled of sweet fruit with a flash of bitter hops
Taste: amazing...like a summer bouquet...peachy, with a citrus blend.
Drinkability: could drink a million of these

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Poured into a pint glass at Sunset. Pours a hazy yellow with a dense .5" head.

S- Some light citrusy notes from the hops. Nothing overpowering but you know there are some Northwestern US hops in this.

T- I would say this is a nice pale ale. More hops then I expected but a tasty brew. There was a mild malt profile but the hops were the star here.

M- Good crisp carbonation for this beer. Thin to medium body.

D- So I thought this was a cream ale. I was very wrong. Not that I was that upset b/c it is an easy drinker and is quite tasty.

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%

Pale golden and hazy with a big fluffy white head. Serious retention and great lacing. This is one hell of an enticing looking beer. A real sexy blond.

Deep aroma full of hops - loads of grapefruit, citrus, and spice. Solid bread in the background adds some sweetness to the nose. A hint of vanilla is thrown in as well.

Kicks off with pleasant hop bitterness, more of a showcase of hop flavor than tongue lashing bitterness. A touch of pine is mixed in among the grapefruit, orange, and citrus. Quite juicy between the hops and a sweet peach maltiness. Solid toasted bread maltiness counters and stands up to the hops, rounding things out nicely. A hint of vanilla before finishing dry. Very fresh tasting.

Light to medium in body. Smooth, slightly creamy, crisp, and very refreshing. Tastes much bigger than it drinks. I could easily stick with this all night. Great flavor and complexity, low alcohol - a perfect session beer.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a cloudy orange color with a foamy, creamy head. Some lacing remains when taking a sip.

S: Definite scent of citrus in the nose.

T: Slight malt flavor with an excellent citrus hop finish - very tasty.

M: Mild amount of carbonation and a slick consistency on the tongue.

D: Not too high an ABV and not too hoppy - I could drink this all night without a problem.

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%

A: This beer pours a hazy dark copper with a decent sized, bubbly, creamy head into a pint glass.

S: The smell was quite light with some malty character I suppose. (I am a little stuffed up though)

T: The taste is wonderful. It has a crystal malt caramel flavor followed by a strong crisply bitter wheat finish all wrapped around a seriously fruity citrus hop flavor. Yummy and interesting.

M: This beer has a seriously smooth light body with crisp carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Smooth beer that goes down well.

Notes: This beer is classified as a blond ale but its hard for me to really put something like this in a box. This is a pretty unique tasting beer. Definately try it! It is a really good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap at Coles,poured from the tap into a standard pint glass a hazed light golden with a thinner but well retained white head.Mainly toasty in the nose with a bit of citrus and sweet-like vanilla wich was more pronounced on the palate.Flavors start out mildly sweet with some vanilla melding into a leafy hop finish.Not overly complex but it nicely blanced a good drinker.

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Tried this beer on a recent trip to New York city. I was pleasantly surprised at it's clairity and freshness, and depth of flavor. I was expecting something bland or watered down, but this was not the case at all. It was an orangey color with a small head, and the smell was of fresh grain and fruit. Taste was delicious, and a lot hoppier than I expected. I would definitely have this beer again.. too bad I have never seen it outside of New York.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Off the tap 5-5-2007. Pours a whirlwind of bubbles. Nose is very sweet hops. Flavor is a slightly subdued hop experience. At least subdued from the hop bomb comparable aspect. It is mildly firm with pine attributes. Subtle citrus tones on the body as a whole. Feel is smooth and slightly thick on the liquid. Overall a good drinker. More subdued than some of Sixpoints hop head creations.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

On-tap at Cole's. A creamy IPA. Lots of C-hop aroma and vanilla maltiness. Creamy head on medium golden soapy head,lace fresh. Really good hoppy flavour, a juiciness like a good American Pale Ale. Then this extra level of maltiness that sweetens the finish. Bottom Line:The beer works.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

dba in NYC had this one on cask so I gave it a try. This is a great beer! Everything I look for in a session beer. Great mouthfeel, very drinkable, refreshing (even at cellar temp), and great flavor. I would describe this as a English bitter with modest hopping and a slightly sweet taste. Excellent!

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

I should fill my water bottle with this & bring it to the gym. More tasty then Gatorade, & much, much more refreshing that that warm water fountain. That incline is a sneaky one though, so watch out.

It pours out of my jug of plenty, into a standard pint glass. The head starts off slowly underwater, but quickly rushes the surface, taking out all paper plates & beer coasters along the way. Even leaving two inches of clearing, it grew & grew. I sipped up a little & thought I had it, but one final push bubbled it overboard. As I watched the clouds drip into the sink, I was able to read the time on the wall through the most purely copper colored I've ever seen. A near mirror finish, with just the faintest trickle rising to the top. Once it subsides, pond scum.

Nothing too exciting about its scent. Just a pile of buttered down, white bread. A little green as well, but not much.

A mild, though constant buzz dominates, akin to having just brushed your teeth. Pleasurable amounts of diacetyl & toast. Quiet.

A soothing dulled out bitterness, paired with moderately aggressive bubbles & a watery texture make way for the most care-free of evenings.

It's just so easy.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

On-tap at Jimmy's 43.

A really nice, easy drinking ale. The aroma reminded me of an orangesicle and the flavor reminded me of guava juice with a touch of herbal tea. It's almost a shame that this is a cream, simply because I think it limits the fine subtle flavors this beer would otherwise be capable of. That said, this cream ale rocks.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at the Pencil Factory

A-Pours a medium slightly hazy brown with a proper foamy head.

S-bready with a good grapefruit zing

T-First sip reveals an ale like taste reminscent of Sierra Nevada Pale ale.The hops are the stars here as they step to the forefront with their grapefruit and slightly piney flavour. There is enough of the bready malt here to act as a good counterpart to the hops .

M-medium body, slightly oily and a mild carbonation

D-Not knowing what style this was as I was drinking it I thought I was drinking a British pale ale with american hops. Whatever way you look at it it is a tasty beer and one I can have a few of.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Served to me with almost no head, just a light white lace across the top. Color was amber, transparent. Smell was mostly piney hops, plus a touch of sweetness. Taste was crisp: dominated by piney, earth hops up front that gave the beer a dry, bitter taste. However, that was complimented by citrus flavors and caramel malts. A well-balanced taste. Good mouthfeel, light and well carbonated. I sipped on this beer over the course of an hour and enjoyed every bit.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle I got from Jeff at Sixpoint, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy burnt orange with a nice two finger fluffy white head that slowly dies down to a creamy layer. Smell is a nice buttery scent with a bit of wheat in the nose as well. Very bready notes are detected in the smell too. Taste is so smooth and creamy. Sweet caramel notes flow over the tongue. Tiny subtle hop bite towards the end, very balanced. Mouthfeel is a good full creamy body with minimal carbonation. Drinability is very good, could be a session beer for sure. A style that seems to be overlooked, but Sixpoint does a great job with this one.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet orange hop with a good bicuity grain.

The taste consisted of an upfront dry citrus hop with nice piney touch. A very solid doughiness at the finish.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with a dry finish.

Overall a very tasty ale. As for being a cream ale - if this is not an APA, then I am Chinese.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Coals, East Bronx, served in a pint glass.

Was happy to find a cafe near my work with decent beers on tap, so I tried this. Light yellowish-amber color, nice head with lots of lacing.

Not much aroma to speak of, but not optimal sniffing conditions.

Taste is a slightly sweet creamy maltiness with nicely balanced hoppiness. A good session beer, quite respectable abd well made.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Sixpoint's Sweet Action can be found on tap sporadically throughout NYC, Brooklyn and Queens so I've had the chance to taste it quite a few times. It seems to pop up every few bars or so that I seem to go to.

Pours a nice coppery orange with a fluffy, pillowy white head that has decent retention. Aroma is not real big here, but there's a slight hop presence with a bit of sweetness behind it. Light to light-medium body with a nice prickly, refreshing carbonation. The predominant flavor is a pleasant sweet malt with a decent bit of bitterness. The flavor finishes with a nice breaded dryness that keeps the palate clean and ready for another bug gulp. You can easily drink a lot of this. This is definitely what I fall back on it if its the only thing available among the usual suspects.

I also must note that I really enjoy the fact that the ABV is low. Cream ales were always intended, in my mind, to be highly drinkable. A beer you drink when you commiserate with buddies. I wish I was drinking this six years ago instead of Genesee Cream Ale.

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%

Glad that someone finally created a separate listing for this beer, now that it is being advertised as 'Sweet Action Cream Ale' on many of the tap handles across NYC. I had this beer back in April of 2005 when it was still a +7% Belgian/German hybrid - something that I think the brewer described at a local bar as a 'German Heffewiezen and a Belgian strong ale getting together and having a bastard child" - I liked that beer a lot, and I miss it now that it's gone. The beer that was Sweet Action then and the beers that have come and gone using the same name over the almost two years since I first tried it are almost all a far cry from the Cream Ale that is touted as Sweet Action today. The beer pours a light caramel color with a frothy head. Good head retention, nice lacing (both on my glass and my moustache) and strong sweetness in the aroma. The taste is balanced, but has very little hop character at all (I understand that this is a cream ale, but slightly more bitterness would be a nice touch). The sweetness that is present on the nose falls a little flat in the taste; in fact the taste itself is a bit flat, not so much with a lack of carbonation, but just in complexity. Overall this beer is drinkable, just not as flavorful as I would like in a Cream Ale, and just because it's not a Pale Ale doesn't mean hop bitterness or bite should be so subdued. I've shared my feelings on this beer and it's many, many incarnations with friends and we all agree that these last few months have shown a consistent product for the first time in a year. Assuming then that this is the final version of this beer (and maybe it's not) I find it to be an unsuitable replacement to the original beer that bore the name Sweet Action, and a pale comparison to other more notable Craft Brewed Cream Ales. Next time I'm given the choice of a Sixpoint beer, I'll stick with the Brownstone.

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

ok...this is my first review and I thought I'd attempt this one since there weren't any comments. I had this on vacation and had to review it to remember it for future reference.

I had this at the "world famous" Lombardi's Pizzeria in NYC. the tables had flyers for the Cream Ale as a perfect compantion. I have to agree, both go well together.

The Cream Ale lived up to its name..creamy head, amber/red color, a little sweet, not too heavy. I can see this as a good companion to italian foods with tomatoes and sausage.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a creamy dark caramel body that is foggy leaving a thin lace that is sudsy. The aroma is citrus, hoppy, sweet hard candy, very nice. The taste is slightly watery, but makes up for it with a malty caramel mouthfeel, followed by a massaging of hops to bring the taste to life. This is very drinkable, but overall not much going on in terms of complexity but that is what is meant of this style IMO.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Boat Bar in Brooklyn.

Appearance: Not really blonde, more like a blondish amber. A nice half-inch head that stuck around halfway down and the lace held up all the way down the glass.

Smell: A nice - but mild, I thought - aroma of citrus hops.

Taste and mouthfeel: Lots of different flavors here: a honeyish sweetness, a powerful hop hit, and a fruity finish. But the flavors meshed beautifully, no one flavor overpowered the others. And this beer was so smooth, rich without tasting syrupy.

Drinkability: Dangerously easy to drink.

Notes: Wow, I think I may have found my ideal session beer, and mere blocks from where I grew up. Makes me eager to try this brewery's other offerings.

3.95/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this on tap at the Lotus Lounge in New York City. It was served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange-amber with a thin creamy white head that leaves nice lace.

Smell: Sweet and peppery, with fruitiness and citric hops.

Taste: Mild malts upfront, with a peppery finish with citric hops. Nicely balanced in the finish. bu the malts could be more pronounced upfront.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, slightly oily and a little watery.

Drinkability: Easy to drink with a nice refreshing hoppiness.

Overall: Very drinkable, the only thing holding this beer back is the lack of malt character upfront.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery