Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

If you traced from 2004, you’d see that SWEET ACTION is a representation of our palates at any given point in time… it’s a vibe more so than it was ever one distinct formulation. This version, a juicy, blonde wheat ale, is the latest iteration in that story.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Ratings: 2,323 |  Reviews: 599
4.12/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.91/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can into a pint glass

L: Pours a clear copper, with a 1-finger head that lingers a bit. Average lacing.

S: A balanced aroma of hops, bread, & malts.

T/F: Like the nose, the flavor is a nicely balanced mix of light hops, bread and malts. A little sweet up front, but not too much, and just a little bitterness at the end. Overall, very smooth. Good carbonation and a medium body.

O: Nice beer. Feels a bit like a Pale Ale. A good choice for something lighter than an IPA, but not as light as a lager.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a hazy orange/brown colored body with a small one finger off white head appears for about twenty seconds and then gently fades The smell had a combination of toffee and hops. The taste was toffee and hops up front, a bit of caramel and some slight malts come in as it warms. The palate was about a light to medium with a superior smooth creaminess (I see why this is a cream ale). Overall, this was a pretty drinkable cream ale. I would definitely have this again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Time for an update. I've had the updated version of Sweet Action. BA still has it listed as a Cream Ale but Sixpoint now calls it a Blond Ale. Like many have said in recent reviews, it tastes a lot like a pale ale and that is how I would characterize it. that said I would think it is one very good pale ale. When I read the BA description of a Blond Ale it seem, to me, that this is largely defined by color. I really like what Sixpoint has done with this. There is a ton of flavor packed into a low ABV beer. I liked the old Sweet Action but I really like the new Sweet Action.

I believe I got one of the last 6 packs of the old recipe Sweet Action as the Best By date is in July. According to the Sixpoint website the beer will now have a brewed on and best by date. I'll revisit this when I find one with the new recipe. That said, I really enjoyed this beer. As they point out it is a hard beer to classify and I wasn't sure I liked it when I first tried it. But the next day I revisited it and found that it seems to grow on me. It pours a deep amber gold with a really nice head that leaves a lot of lacing as it dissipates. The taste is different and I really can't compare it to anything else I've had. There is some sweetness but nothing like the horrid Honey Wheat I had from Blue Moon. Some light bitterness from the hops as well. Good medium mouthfeel delivered with relatively low abv.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

perfect with my juicy burger on my new grill. All the way down in texas.
Not a cream ale...pale ale

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a pretty, deeper gold with a decent head that retained nicely.

Typical citrus smell, but then plenty of bready malts and a surprising honey sweetness waft out of the glass. Plenty strong on the aroma.

The taste is quite well restrained and smooth. Enough citrus follows a malty initial taste to layer the flavors nicely. Just enough grassy and herbal, a touch of resin, and a pleasant bitterness.

An enjoyable beer, and I guess it has to be called something so it is a cream ale...it feels more pale ale with some cream ale elements, but OK. Regardless, it is an enjoyable brew. Recommended.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not what you may expect in the word sweet... it has a very nice amber color with nice foam, but does not last long. smell has a nice citrus to it. taste comes across for me a little dry as with the feel... it comes close to the name " Sweet Action"...so don't be afraid of the name. Nice beer all in all.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

2.95/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

4.66/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A slight citrus front that is followed by a cracker, toffee, nutty aftertaste, that puts a big old period on the end of the sip.

Taste Rating in Words: It's hop scotch with a big double footed stomp on the final hop.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%