Sweet Action | Sixpoint Brewery

Style: Cream Ale

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Reviews: 585 | Ratings: 2,274
4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

A very exceptional ale...

I was surprised to see this is a cream ale, but then again I haven't had many cream ales...

A - Hazy, unfiltered light amber

S - Floral-earthy tones with some citrus, caramel/candy sweetness, and vanilla creaminess...

T - Equal to the smell...a definite sweet quality but also balanced by a hint of bitterness. This is a beer I would love to have on CASK. I'm sure it would be even better.

M - Medium bodied. Mild carbonation. Creamy smooth. very nice. very easy going down.

Overall - A really great beer. Totally not my style but none the less I would love to have it around always. Great beer. A slight english quality to it...I would love to have it on Cask or Nitro...would be amazing.

Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Review adapted from notes taken 6/29/11

Appearance: Hazy dark orange, starts off with a small head but it fades faster than average, minimal lacing

Smell: Somewhat sweet, with an interesting malt profile - bready, with some caramel and pale malts - some citrus as well as some grassiness, perhaps some corn husk

Taste: Kind of strange but undeniably good - bready, biscuity caramel malts at the base, some malt sweetness - citrus rind, and a slight hint of something tropical, but also a lot of grassy, herbal hops - a hint of spice - a nice mix of bitter and light sweetness

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between light and medium, smooth, could probably be a little more crisp but it works, refreshing

Overall: Definitely worth a try

This is unlike any other cream ale that I've encountered. Granted, I've only had three others, but Sweet Action stands out because of its interesting use of hops. It adds a nice balance.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks mikesgroove. Love a good can of beer.

Appearance. Pours a hazy amber with half a finger of frothy white head ...that must have had some shit to do somewhere else.

Smell. Grapefruit, a little yeasty, some light grains.

Taste. Citrus fruits and apples. Some funky yeast and light grains. A little bitter in the end.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with medium, smooth carbonation

Overall. Not a bad beer, just nothing too exciting. Easy drinking and pretty refreshing.

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a hazy orangey amber, with a 3 finger nice thick creamy white head. Head lasted a few minutes before leaving a thin layer, with some great clinging to the sides. Aroma was a bit strange. A tad of sweetness was offset by a bit of bitterness, but ended up to be a slightly strong sweet cream aroma with an undertone I couldn't place. Flavor was equally tough to place. Seemed to me to be strongly of a rice or corn flavor, not what I would expect for something called "Sweet" or cream. Felt decent, plenty of tickle from the carbonation, and was a decent coating. Overall this didn't do it for me. Not at all impressed, really seemed to be a low end macro almost, not a highly rated craft beer.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Growler from Marcy Beverage. Pours a translucent golden orange color with an inch of head. Lots of lacing. Smells sweet and hoppy. Whiff of citrus hops, namely orange peel. A bit herbal. Taste is sweet. Good amount of hop flavor with more of that spicy orange peel taste. Slightly bitter at the end with some herbal notes. Really crisp and easy to drink at a quick pace. Creamy mouthfeel. I wasn't in a rush to try this one since it was a Cream Ale, but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. This seems to be a perfect beer for the warm months. Overall, certainly worth having again.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Best by: 17NOV11

A: Pours a rusty orange with a finger of off-white foam which falls quickly to a central cap of the same. Limited clarity reveals golden hues around the borders. spotty lacing.

S: Nice sweetness I was anticipating (definite lactose, unmistakable), and I like it. There's beer here, but I keep getting distracted by the cotton candy like sweetness of the profile. Some floral hints as well (can't finger the flower).

T: Nice sweet beer with hints of coriander and cake flour. There a bavarian yeast character here as well. A bit of a sour pinch on the finish as well.

M: Medium on heavy with assertive carbonation - appropriate. The finish is a little dry,but also creates a layer of phlegm in my oropharynx which sufficeth.

O: A good beer, I'm certain this would be the bees knees on nitro - absolutely certain.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a hazy reddish brown color from a 1 pint can with ABV on the label.
Massive two finger head from a mildly aggressive pour that dissipates slowly, leaving behind a very nice lace. Good head retention.
Aroma is all fruity (sweet esters), smells more like a rich dubbel or even a tripel.
Taste similar to the aroma is also more on the sweet side. Sweetness is evident upfront and only towards the finish was there some tartness. A relatively dry finish, which compliments the sweetness well. Balance is good, although it is more on the sweet side. Easy to drink with a lot of flavor.
All in all a very good canned beer. I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

8/19/2015<BR>
I had the opportunity to try this beer again, I'm told the recipe has been reworked a bit. Resinous, earthy, light oniony hop nose with plenty of toasted bready maltiness to back it up. Firm earthy resinous spicy hop flavor with the same maltiness to back it up nicely. I'm not sure why both sites have this listed as a Cream ale, its more of a APA than anything, and its a damn fine beer if you get into the right frame of mind for it . I'm glad I revisited this! My rating reflects this session. <BR><BR>
9/17/2011 <BR>Pours a slightly cloudy deep reddish amber color with a smallish fluffy white head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of earthy herbal hops and biscuit bready malt. Hints of lemony dish soap turned me off a bit. Taste is malty but not a sweet as I had expected from a cream ale. Lots of bitter earthy hops keep this less balanced than the side of the can would lead you to believe. Medium body and carbonation level, slick almost sticky mouthfeel. This one grew on me as I drank it and as it warmed, but I really don’t see the attraction here. Its not really a cream ale, but its a pretty good drinker.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

on tap at tattooed moms in philly

Pours a clear golden orange with a thick crop of white head. Plenty of cloudy film and spotty lacing on the glass.

Scents of toasted malts with creamy caramel. Slightly sweet and hoppy at the same time.

Bitter up front with floral hops, followed by a sweet malt base. Faint milky malts with soft sweetness and citrus tones. Bready malt with light vanilla. Finishes crisp and clear with a faint note of hops.

Medium body, decent carbonation, faint lingering feel with sticky malts. I don't really enjoy cream ales but this is still a drinkable offering from Sixpoint (who have so much better to give).

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

a: golden and cloudy. I would expect this more out of an oak aged ale. some head but I didn't pour too vigorously.

s: fruity with some sweet light malty notes. pear and honey notes as well.

t: bready malt flavor. minimal fruit notes, but it has a bit of sweetness to it.

m: a good amount of carbonation, any more/less and the beer would suffer. finishes dry.

o: I really like this beer and even better that it comes in pint cans! It is a great, refreshing beer with a lot of flavor from what I thought was a simple style.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks Bendurgin for sending me a can! Poured into an imperial pint glass. There is a quarter inch large head with some nice lacing. The body is hazy red orange. There isn't much head retention except for a ring around the glass.

The aroma is sweet and I can faintly detect some bubblegum along with some fruitiness. Maybe it's a bit of pear. Mostly this smells like sweet malt.

The taste starts with some sweet fruity malt. The finish isn't exactly crisp as it has the same sweetness that is present throughout, leaving a malty aftertaste.

This is medium/light in body with not quite as much carbonation as I would prefer.

This is okay. It's pretty drinkable but a little sweet (I realize it's called Sweet Action). If I was to rate to style I might bump this up a bit, but I don't do that. This is just a mediocre offering that could be good for certain occasions.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a somewhat orange amber color with a thing layer of head that settles quickly.

Pretty hoppy on the aroma; grassy with a little bit of citrus with some lemon and a deep malt body. Seems to have a faint adjunct aroma here. The malt come through a little more on the pallet than the aroma would lead, letting the hops take a backseat. Caramel malts on the pallet with a very faint bitter finish.

The feel is light and the carbonation is medium. A solid offering here, really glad to see these guys a little more local.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

16 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

When I think of beer in a can, I tend to think of NASCAR beers. Improvements in technology, however, have made the taste of craft beers in cans much better than in the good old days. That said, here we go...

A: Very nice. Dark golden amber in color, with a 1 cm head that lasts a minute, if that.

S: It smells like I hoped it would. It has a good hoppy aroma, and there's also the sweet smell of caramel from the malt. Looking forward to the tasting.

T: Not what I expected it to taste like. I'm hit immediately by pepper. What follows is the hoppiness I was expecting, and it's somewhat creamy, not as creamy as I would be led to believe by something called a cream ale. That said, I like it.

M: I was telling my mentor that there's something off about this. I can't put my finger on it, but my palate is telling me that this ain't quite right.

O: It's alright, not what I would expect from a cream ale. Still good, though. Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

From 16oz tallboy can to nonic pint glass on 8/23/11
*From notes

A: This is easily the darkest damn Cream Ale I've ever seen. It seems lightly filtered, yet it appears healthy as hell. A good pour yields a two finger head and killer lacing.

S: The bouquet here just destroys every other beer within the category. Floral hops and a creamy pale malt add a complexity not typically found in an easy drinking ale like this.

T: Pretty damn hoppy, all things considered. It's slightly bitter, but the hops really come through in an impressive floral essence. The malt backbone is creamy and rich, yet refreshing and insanely quaffable.

M: Killin' it. Thick, rich and on point.

O: What more can I say about Sixpoint's Sweet Action? The bottom line: this is hands down the best Cream Ale in America.

Period.

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think this might be my second cream ale ever, so here goes. 16oz. can served in a tumbler. Pours a beautiful honey-orange hue with a semi-hazy clarity, and a rocky, 1.5 inch cream-colored head. Head eventually recedes into an 1/8th inch skim with some residual spots of lacing present during the tasting. Not much to the nose - a little grassy with perhaps a kiss of hops. I also get a slightly herbal quality. Taste expresses cereal malts, a light earthy bitterness and a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel is light-medium; however closer to light. Carbonation is lively and evenly distributed from beginning to end. There is also a slight acidity that kisses the salivary glands. As I'm not overly familiar with the style, I'll start with the obvious. This is an easy drinking, simple beer that would be welcome at a barbecue. It has some pilsner-esque qualities with a little something else happening at the same time. That said, I would more likely gravitate towards an APA than a Cream Ale; however, a very respectable beer nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Best by - 9/20/2011

Pour produced a hazy orange brew topped by more than 2 fingers of chunky head. Terrific retention, with the head never disappearing and lacing all the way down.

Smell is citrus hops, with very light malt. Hops clearly dominate. Hops smell almost sweet.

Taste is citrus hops, with light caramel malts and what seems like Belgian yeast spices. Delicious. Not bitter, but not malty either. Balanced and appealing. Hops first, malt second, yest third.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, with a dry finish leaving the sense of yeast spice. Dry finish.

Overall, this is very, very good. I have already sought out this brew time and time again. It is a unique mix of citrus hops, sweet malt and some yeast character, all without excessive alcohol which makes this beer very sessionable.

Great stuff.

16oz Can

Appearance - Hazy yellow/amber colour with a large size frothy off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, citrus

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and a fair amount of hops. Although the cream ale sweetness is there, this almost seems more like a pale ale.. It finishes with a sugary sweet citrus and hop aftertaste.

Overall - I've been impressed with all of the sixpoint beers I've tried so far. I find they all kind of have a similar taste. Looking forward to trying more of their products.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16oz can at fridge temp poured into an SA perfect pint glass. best before 21OCT11.

pours out a cloudy deep golden/ light amber color with a nice thick, bubbly white head. eventually faded to a thin patchy layer. not much lace.

slightly pungent aromas of yeast phenols and herbal citric hops. a slight lager like grain just noticable.

wow, not really what i expected. kind of like 3 beer styles in one. mineral water, almost a lager like yeast, but also some almost belgian like yeast phenols. sweet grains, a snappy leafy, citric hop. slightly muddy finish that i wasnt too crazy about, something ive found in some homebrews.

light bodied and a light feeling beer. snappy carbonation. fairly dry.

overall, an interesting beer. definatly one of the better cream ales ive had, but its a style im not crazy about. not something i would buy again, but i like what sixpoint did with it, and its atleast worth a try.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with over two fingers of fluffy off white head. Nice head retention and some lacing.

Smell: Bready malt with citrus and herb hop bitterness. Not too strong.

Taste: Very light and refreshing. A bit on the hoppy side for the style, but I'm loving it. Some malt with a light citrus peel hop bitterness. The finish is a bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with carbonation on the high side and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: This is a great beer. Nice and refreshing and perfectly hopped. I'm a bit fan.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a pounder can with a bright amber orange slightly hazed body with a large light khaki head forming thick and rising well above the rim of my glass. Lacing is well banded and even down the sides of my chalice. Aroma has more great smelling cereal grains with a bit of orange peel and marmalade sweetness in the background. It's like hanging out in the grain room it really gives the experience of mashing in freshly cracked malts. Flavor wise it's interesting I was expecting something one dimensionally sweet, because of the cream ale style and the name Sweet Action. However this beer is all about the balance between the malts and hops and even more so in this case it's got a nice solid lingering citrus hop bitterness with each sip. Each sip has a nice malty diverse flavor not just sweet, but a blend of diferent flavors hit the palate. It's actually quite dry even semi spicy with a dry yeast nuttiness going on, it's hard to pick out the hops used here not typical alpha acid hops used in most micros today something earthier. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an even nice flowing carbonation really nothing harsh about it and like I said the dry finish only helps the drinkability. Overall a quality beer out of Brooklyn NYC, I'm glad I got the chance to try it.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy orange with a 2 inch puffy white head that fades to a foamy, craggy cap. A very nice latticework of lacing forms on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of nice citrus zest and herbal hops with a slight honey smell as the beer warms. Taste is a nice balance between sweet malt and citrus zest and herbal hops. Mild hop bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good cream ale with a nice balance between the malt and hops.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from can into Pilsener glass.

A - Light amber with a white fizzy head. Clear and bubbly body.

S - Strong hop presence, sweet and light. Barley and bread finish the smell.

T - Very nice balance of flavor. Malts up front are rinsed out by a nice hop character. Very nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. I really like the subtle hoppy aftertaste.

M - Creamy mouthfeel as in the name, but a nice crisp finish that leaves the mouth dry at the end.

D - Very good drinkability. Light, refreshing and leaves you begging for plenty more. I would love to try this beer off of a tap.

Very nice, refreshing, well-balanced ale. Super light, would pair perfectly with pizza or bbq. Only the second Sixpoint beer I've tried but I've enjoyed both this and Righteous Ale very much. I don't mind the 16oz cans at all. In fact I like their different style.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A hoppy cream ale? I am all over that!
Best by December 01, 2011 whoot new beer!

A - Looks kind of hazy bright amber brown with an impressive inch of head that looks pillow like and sticky. Tons of carbonation on this one. It's so pillow like it seems like I have to plow through just to take a sip!

S - Smells of sweet honey, a touch of citrus hops and a little bit of vanilla is hidden underneath.

T - Ow wow that's interesting the base of the cream ale mostly with vanilla hits with an aggressive hop profile that really sticks to the tongue. Pale malts make it hard to enjoy at first but the second and third sip they become timid and more drinkable.

M - Light to medium I found it pretty smooth bodied.

Overall it's hard to say I liked it since I had to really look around how aggressive the hops and pale malts clashing hit me in a bad way. Maybe it's the can that makes the malts so harsh?. Will have to try their other beers and find a favorite.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Pint size can into a pint glass, best before 9/20/2011

A hazy unfiltered looking marmalade color with a 1cm head that dissipates into nothing after a few sips. Bubbles can be seen dancing to the top if examined closely.

Sweet fruit and citrus on the nose like pineapple, limes, and grapefruit. A touch of bitter pine and a hint of astringency woven into the most forward aromas. Rounded out with some honey and pale malt sweetness. Some gingerbread and graham cracker in there as well.

Forward with fruity flavors of pineapple and lime/grapefruits, followed instantly by pale malts and gingerbread. Some buttery biscuit notes in there as well. Not much honey or graham cracker as the smell, and finishes with a touch of bitter piney hops.

Soft on the palate with a lighter medium body. Crisp with just a hint at carbonation.

Bright fruity aroma with a sweet malt backbone, and a flavor that follows. Crisp on the palate as well while remaining smooth. A great ale that retains it's approachability while still maintaining enough flavor and aroma to interest the serious craft drinker.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

16oz Tallboy can.
A) Pours with a finger thick head. Settles to a thin, creamy lacing on top and at the edge of the glass. Some haze with active carbonation. Copper in color.
S) Piney. Pungent earthiness. Subtle spice aroma of coriander and clove.
T) Possibly a Belgian cream ale here... Notes of banana and clove but very subtle under the mellow sweetness of the malt.
M) Creamy. Medium body. A slick tongue feel in the finish, like I just smoked a clove cigarette.
T) A pleasant surprise of a beer. I don't know if I would say it is a "cream ale". I see the characteristics but according to Sixpoint's website this is a golden amber - not sure if I agree with that either. A good drinkable brew.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery