Otis | Sixpoint Brewery

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

3.8

1.98/5  rDev -47.9%

Had this on tap at Rattle N' Hum after having their IPA the night before. I was told they just changed the keg when I ordered.

Color was a nice milk chocolate brown and the smell was pleasant.

Upon first sip I thought, "Oats, thick, pretty good." Unfortunately, then came the bitterness. I must say that I am a fan of all that is dark beer and stouts but this was the most bitter beer I have ever encountered. There was no hop character, just bitter. I sincerely hope I just got a bad beer because I did enjoy their IPA. Hopefully I'll get to have a proper pint of it later on.

(Probably didn't help that Rattle N' Hum had it listed as a Sweet Stout. It was the polar opposite of anything sweet.)

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

Deep dark brown, thick tan head with decent retention and fair lacing. Found both the aroma and flavor on this one to be a little more skewed to sweet chocolate and coffee than the Diesel Stout by Sixpoint, but still had an overwhelming amount of toastiness and dry grass finish. The body also was very very thin for a stout, but a tiny bit thicker than the Diesel.

2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer looks silky smooth and dark with a nice head that is retained through the session.

This beer smells extremely hoppy for an oatmeal stout. The smell of malt is mostly masked by the hops.

The taste is hoppy as well, not expected in this style and it actually doesn't work so well.

Its hard to pick up the quality of the malt and expected easy drinking oat goodness as the hops prevent the true quality of this beer from coming through.

I am not able to get past the fact that this beer is way over hopped for the style. As I stated above, I can see there is a a good beer in here, brewed with quality ingredients, but the hops are hiding most of what I am looking for.

3.09/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Looked good – near black with about an inch of tan head courtesy of the nitro tap at the Blind Tiger, which left nice rings retained well by the pint glass. Smelled good like a good stout should – roasted chocolate malts swirled with toffee; the oats were present if didn’t come through as much as I like. But on the tongue, the diacytl that produced that pleasant toffee aroma was overwhelming. I wished I’d ordered a second Chelsea Dry Irish Stout. I didn’t taste a whole lot here because of the overwhelming buttery flavors, but there’s some molasses and roast coffee going on. It was smooth and creamy, despite. I’d try it again just to make sure that I didn’t just get a bad batch, but I was disappointed with this one.

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

"Otis" was on tap at Capone's around 4/25/2009, but I decided to take this Sixpoint home with me in a growler. I decided to pour all of the servings into a small 9 oz. Great Lakes Snifter.

The color of "Otis" can be deceiving at first. When I first laid my eyes upon it, it looked to be an ink black color. When I held it into the light, I found out that it was more of a murky dark mahogany brown color than a black color. Sitting on top of this dark brown brew was a minimal tan colored head of foam. This small head of foam had pretty good retention that left behind a string of foamy tan rings and a few blots of lace around the glass.

The aroma of this beer was lightly roasted with the scent of roasted walnuts, a hint of roasted malts, a gentle whiff of roasted coffee, a touch of chocolate, and then this roasted aroma finishes up with some floral hops.

While the aroma was roasted, the taste was more dry. The taste was still roasted, but to me it was more dry than anything else. The taste of this Oatmeal Stout contained dry roasted malts, oatmeal flakes, a touch of dry roasted coffee beans, a spatter of yeast, and a few dry roasted nuts at the end.

The mouthfeel was light to medium bodied with a dry aftertaste of roasted malts, coffee beans, roasted nuts, and a drop of yeast.

It wasn't a bad Oatmeal Stout, but "Otis" didn't really do anything for me. It would have been better for me if it was more roasted than dry or have the dryness level match up with the roasted level. I would more than likely pass this Sixpoint up if I ever saw it again. If you've never had, it's worth a shot at least once.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Rattle N Hum in New York, NY

A: Pours an extremely dark brown to black with a thick light beige head that reduces by about 50% but the remainder is retained. Significant lacing is observed.

S: Very light aroma with just some subtle hints of roasted malts.

T: The flavor is much more intense than the smell with lots of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, and some oats. Not as sweet as I generally expect from an oatmeal stout but I was pleased by that and really enjoyed the taste of this beer.

M: Light to medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery/thin.

O: Good but not great, a little too thin of a stout for my preferences. Very easy to drink and quite sessionable but needs a fuller body.

3.46/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -8.7%

Draft at Rembrandt's

Pours a deep, dark chestnut brown color that appears black and completely opaque in the glass with the faintest of mahogany edges when held to light. Frothy, pillowy two finger light beige head with excellent retention, barely fading into a lasting cap that leaves streaks and splotches of soapy lacing behind.

Slightly roasted dark malt aroma that is kind of bland with hints of cocoa, toast, oatmeal and coffee rinds.

Medium bodied with a nice balance of roasted, dry and sweet flavors. Lots of roasted malt up front with hints of coffee bean, chocolate and a prominent oatmeal character. There's a slight lactic cream presence mid-palate that provides nice balance and there is some more bittersweet dark chocolate toward the dry, roasted finish.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a dark silky brown with a light, crisp head. Aroma is strong in oatmeal, quite chocolatey and with some espresso beans (not like roasted beans, but like chocolate-covered beans). Mouth is very smooth and creamy. Very lite carbonation. Taste is a strong oatmeal presence with slightly bitter aftertaste. A good amount of pale malt is present. Smooth and creamy but the flavor is a bit off, or at least just not for me. I wouldn't get it again, but I'm sure others would like it.

Otis from Sixpoint Brewery