Diesel | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Stout

This undefinable black brew is part black IPA, part American Stout, but 100% Diesel powered. Robust chocolate and roasted flavors, with thick pine hop flavor and aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2005

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- really big khaki head with tons of retention above a pitch blak body. Rings of lacing left as it goes doen and this looks awesome.

S- slight roast and green earthy hops.

T- nice roasty malt with green slightly bitter hops. Not getting much more than roast and green hops. Not a bad drink but notreally what I'm looking for in a stout.

M- absolutely flat with a medium feel

O- definately a different take on a stout. A little too hoppy for a stout for me abd u love ah me some hops.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

I love six point, so I had to give this one a try.

Pours dark brown with an inch of off white head. Leaves a good amount of lacing down the glass.

Smells of coffee, roast, caramel and a hint of citrus.

Taste is of coffee and the roast flavors up front, moving into a creamy sweetness. Finishes dry with a hint of lingering coffee flavors. Well balanced, not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel is creamy and moderate body.

Overall, its a pretty good beer. Well balanced and full flavored with a reasonable amount of alcohol. Gets old quickly, at least for me.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

I was amused to read my previous review of this beer on tap, which was nearly 3+ years ago, but I thought it's arrival in cans has marked a different stage in this beer's life. Now it's really available to anyone who goes to a good beer store, instead of randomly finding it a few select bars.

Not much as changed for me in this stout, which I found to be a step lighter than the tap version. It's dark and virulent character still leads me to think of the great times I had in its company previously.

The dark brown ale with subtle lacing on top was more drinkable due to its somewhat lighter body, but the bitter coffee and the mixed chocolate were still very much there waiting for me as I raised my 50cl glass easily.

Cans or tap, this is a great beer.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

I have to admit I was going to lambaste BA for mislabeling a style, but then I visited the Sixpoint website and they call this a stout as well. I would never have guessed and at first, second, third and all the way through to the last sip I would have pegged this as a black IPA. I usually review to style, but I feel I must depart from that here to do this beer any justice.

This beer pours out of the can as a deep brown and in the glass it is nearly black, like most stouts. Also, like many stouts, the head is huge. It has small, tightly packed bubbles and it leaves behind a rocky lace, looking like a wasps' nest on the inside of the glass.

One whiff and you get hops and lots of them. Pine, citrus, spice and a bit of green onion. It almost smells like spruce. The peppery spice gives a gentle tickle to the nose. Darkly toasted bread gives some sweetness to all that bitter. Eliminate that onion flavor and the smell gets a 4.5.

The taste is also dominated by bitter hops that are aided and abetted by the roasted malts. A whole lot of pine in the flavor and the citrus and onion disappears, but the peppery spice persists. A hint of chocolate appears.

A big, unexpected smack in the face with the hops and it lingers, but not too long, keeping the juices flowing. Nice smooth feel to the beer too.

A well-constructed beer with many complexities to it. I've become used to these guys presenting beers that push the boundaries of each style, when they bother to try to present a particular style. This makes them one of the most exciting breweries out there and rival Avery (one of my favorite breweries) in this sense. Keep it up guys!

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours almost totally black, with a light brown head.

S: Toffee, hops, sugar, roasted malts, and chocolate.

T: Milky, chocolatey, and a bit sweet at the front and then it goes in for the hoppy bitterness towards the back (never really a dark chocolate kind of bitterness in my opinion). Some smoky notes in there as well.

M: Body is pretty light for a stout, but this make it very sessionable.

This certainly does have resonances of a Black IPA. Good stuff; full of flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into imperial pint glass

Appearance-Pours pitch black and gives rise to a sizable beige head which leaves behind a good film of lacing as it recedes. Looks lovely.

Aroma-Black IPA-like with lots of piney hops mingling with roasted malts, black coffee and chocolate notes are there in abundance as well however placing the nose firmly in 'stout' territory.

Taste-Initial wave of piney bitterness which is immediately tempered by a wave of black roast, black coffee and chocolate as noted in the aroma reigns supreme mid palette. Finishes with notes of pine sap and espresso.

Mouthfeel-Smooth medium body with a slick tongue-coating quality, medium-low levels of carbonation.

Drinkability/Overall-Awesome American stout by Sixpoint here, nailed it.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

A-Good looking brew. Pitch black. Head is tan and leaves massive amounts of lacing.

S-Quite a unique aroma. I'm getting a lot of herbal hops. Pine hops with that odd but attractive green onion smell. Dark malts are there but the hops reign supreme in the nose. Smells like a Black IPA to me. Very excited to try this. Would like a bit more roast/chocolate in the nose however.

T-This is a really different flavor. I actually am enjoying this a bunch. Herbal hops mix with some really legitimate milk chocolate notes to make one hell of a combination. Roast comes out more in the flavor than in the nose. Hard to describe the flavor but definitely tasty.

M-Medium body with some tickling carbonation. A bit dry and bitter. Smooth but the carbonation prickles as well. Good feel.

O/D-I love how Sixpoint's beers refuse to be brewed according to specific styles. This is quite a unique brew. I really enjoy this beer. Definitely worth a try. I love the 4-pack of big cans. Sixpoint has really impressed me and this is probably one of my favorites by them. But they're all so good I have trouble picking my favorite. Seek this out.

3.56/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

can picked up locally...best before may 15, 2012

a - sweet looking can from one of my favorite locals. popped it and filled my E snifter. the brew poured a pretty thick black with a frothy almost beige head. in the glass, looked like an 8 ball. pretty attractive. thick chunky milkshake like lacing (i throw around 'milkshake like' a lot, but when i say it this time, i mean chunks...the glass is coated with the head that was once there. pretty nice.

s - roasted malts. a tingle of a metallic tone. some dry hopped crispness. the roasted malts get kind of muted from the hops.

t - leads with roasted malt, then hits a mix of spiciness, into a dry hop and then finishes a bit odd with some hop bitterness.

m - body is initeresting. it is creamy and watery at the same time. the bitterness gives it some balls...definitely different.

o - overall...at first it was kind of a weird experience. i was expecting a classic stout and noticed that the can mentions that the beer is dry hopped...and it really shows in the nose and the flavor giving it a cross between a stout and a black ipa vibe. don't get me wrong, i like my hops as much as the next guy...but for my stouts i like chocolate and coffee and roastiness and boldness. darkness is stout where the hops really work for me...
definitely worth checking out since i could see this being someone's favorite stout.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Brooklyn tulip pint.

A: Pours a BEAUTIFUL deep brown with a huge white head. This beastly glob of ocean foam sticks around to the last drop and leaves so much lacing that the glass looks like a zebra's hide.

S: Rich milk chocolate and cocoa nibs blend seamlessly with earthy and citrus hops.

T: Hops blast you right away in a black IPA way, but the roast soon overcomes and reminds you that its a stout. Coffee and dirt in the finish.

D: Crisp, easy-drinking classic American stout; smooth and well-balanced.

Overall: I just love Sixpoint's devil-may-care, homebrewer attitude towards style guidelines. This beer (a 69 IBU) single stout isn't for purists. However, this is a kick-ass beer that makes no apologies for what it is: relentlessly original and in-your-face.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Diesel pours a deep Almost black mahogany. A little over a finger of mocha icecream colored head is produced from a moderate pour. Very solid retention with rings of lacing as one sips.

S- grainy roasted malt aromas present themselves with notes of brewed coffee, bakers chocolate and freshly doused embers. Pine hop aromas sing along side the roast with a touch of resin and oil. A slight alchohol touch on the finish.

T- Starts with a short burst of oily coffee bean that soon transforms into a crunchy pine hop flavor and bitterness. Espresso and Astringent flavors with a bit of tangerine hop lingers for a nice finish.

MF- slick oily mouthfeel with a medium body. Average carbonation

D- very good drinkability

Overall a solid beer that has nice flavor and bitterness.

3.39/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: Dark, almost black. Dark brown at edges when held to direct light. Head is tan, creamy and sticky. Small cap on the beer lasts for the duration. Pours with decent viscosity. Looks to be on point for the style.

Smell: Chocolate malts. Some nice pine notes from the hops. Roasty malts round everything out. Touch of citrus. Slight touch of char. Definitely a more aggressive hopping than I'm used to for the style. It's almost touching on a mild black ale.

Taste: Pine and roasted malts. Chocolate malts in copious amounts. Cocoa and milk chocolate. Some citrus notes as well. Char on the back. Hops dominate over the malts, again asserting that black ale characteristic. There's an attempt at balance, but it slowly loses out over the course of the beer. As it warms, the pine begins to dominate and shoves the malts back.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy. Almost as if it were a nitro can. Smooth and easy drinking. almost absurdly so. Carbonation is on the low side.

Overall: Another beer from Sixpoint that's decent, but doesn't really carry for the duration of the beer. Flavors are good, but lose a little balance in the long run. Points for being easy drinking, but there's something distinct about Sixpoint dry-hopping that just doesn't work for me.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

When I cracked this can and started to pour I could really smell the hops. The a aroma of this beer is hop forward but this is a very fresh can I am interested in seeing how this will change over the next month or so. As the beer warmed up the roasted coffee, and malt came out. This is a really like stout that is very drinkable. I look forward to aging this for a few months and seeing how it changes.

Cheers

An opaque dark brown with a light brown head of sizable proportions and a goodly amount of lace. Smell is full of coffee and chocolate malt. A nice yeasty fruitiness and a healthy amount of earthly and delicately floral fragrant hops. Slicing is is a rouge grapefruit tinged edge like a a sweetness assassin Some sweet dough. Taste is roasted grains and burnt sugar. Coffee is a big player as is some charcoal and molasses. Finish is dry and clean with a bitter chocolate and earth hop signature. Lingering bits of dark pumpernickel crust an a hit of grapefruit. Feel is full and and nicely carbonated with a surprising lightness. A top tier American stout that is highly drinkable and satisfying.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Can poured into a DFH signature glass. At the time of this review, this is the #27 beer on the Top Beers - American Stout list on beeradvocate.com.

Beer is black with a huge head of small and medium sized tan bubbles, lots of lacing, moderate carbonation. At first the head is huge, half the glass, but it settles down rather quickly into a half finger head. Decent retention from now on.

Aroma is surprisingly hoppy, sweet, nice. Mild roast, some earthiness, pine resin hops. Overall a nice aroma.

Beer is surprsingly light in body, mildly dry on the finish, the overall beer is good, minimal sweetness up front, minimal bitterness at the back a mild brown sugar taste in the middle. Interesting overall. I do enjoy it and I would have it again.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Making this my first beer of the day as I want to try this with a fresh palate. I was discussing this beer the other night and felt I could not gauge it’s level of hoppiness as I had two Flower Powers before opening a pint of this. Today I am with a fresh palate.

There is no doubt this is a great looking beer. A full tan creamy head builds and then stays for the duration. The structure of the head is like whipped cream. This tops a deep brown beer that doesn’t let much, if any, light through. A good amount of sticky lace.

Aroma is really hoppy with full pine and even some lemon/orange peel. Bright and fresh. Frankly, not a lot of dark roasted malt or chocolate here. (I know what’s to come in the flavor)

Tastes just as chocolaty as I remember from my first can. Like a nice chocolate sauce. This is interrupted with a rather aggressive hop flavor and bitterness. Almost a hop tea moment mid palate that leads to a moment of pine. After this we finally get some dark roasted malt and a touch of nuttiness. I like this the first time around and this time I really like it. It reminds me a bit of “The Alchemist” – “Mortal Sin” which is just a beautiful beer. A buddy referred to this as a black Ipa. There is no doubt that this defies standard style convention. I love the late aftertaste which is a mix of chocolate and the dark roasted malt. Just something about it that’s real nice. I think there is some lingering pine that’s playing a role in this flavor.

I think this has the potential to be even better if it was just a touch thicker. Not saying it’s thin… it’s not. Medium, to fairly bold with a slight grit to the beer. This almost makes it feel creamy, but it never quite gets there. Carbonation is about as mild as can be and still be considered carbonated.

I really like this beer. There must be something about the Sixpoint malt bill or yeast selection that works for me. I just really enjoy almost everything they’ve made. (Autumnation being the exception)

Well done!

Very interesting take on a stout. I thought Victory storm king was an interesting stout with all the different flavors. This stout has a grassy note with a strong roasted scent and taste with a nice backbone of bitterness not usually found in stouts.
The drinkability is very high for me on this one. Very easy to drink even though it looks like a heavy stout.
Pours pitch black with a thin off white foam.

Just another great offering from sixpoint.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a deep, opaque black with a two finger of brown foamy head to it. Head recedes quickly and coats the glass with lacing.

S: Nose is tons of dark malts, charred notes, and piney, floral hops.

T: Taste starts with charred malts, a mixture of milk and dark chocolate notes come through. While the beer is a bit colder, more of a floral hop flavoring is present, but turns to a more piney flavoring as he beer warms. Definite hop bite retains in the finish. The hop presence is far more dominating than any stout like qualities.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, oily yet creamy all at once.

T: Goes down easy, pretty tasty, not too filling, moderate kick, not a good representation of the style though. This is a good beer - no doubt, but this is more of a Black IPA/Lager than a stout. The hop presence is far more present the roasty notes of a stout. So if you are a stout person, this may not be what you're looking for.

Diesel from Sixpoint Brewery