"Hop Obama" Ale | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Brewed in tribute to the inspiration that has been Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign. In keeping with the Illinois senator's unifying theme, the "Hop Obama" is an indefinable ale that doesn't adhere to traditional style guidelines. The 5.2% ABV creation contains five different kinds of European crystal malt and three different kinds of Pacific Northwest Hops. Combined with a Scottish yeast strain for fermentation.

Added by RblWthACoz on 03-18-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

So glad I went down to Bar Great harry this weekend for a tasty delight. Hop Obama was put up on Thursday and was gone by late Saturday night. I just want to say thank goodness for Shane and his amazing Craft.

Obama poured a nice light redish amber color and had a decent head on it. The smell was fantastic hops, with the first taste not bitter but delightfully malty and delicious. The flavor stayed on the back of the palate for a while and I couldn't wait to take the next leap into the glass. My wife thought it could be more balanced as the hops overpowered the malts, but I couldn't have asked for a better beverage. The low alchol content makes it a super seesion brew as well. I love Sixpoint and I wish there was a place where all their beers could be had at any time. Everytime a new batch comes out I want to gather all my friends and go try it.

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Pacific Standard in Brooklyn sporting it's own smiling Obama bobble head tap handle. Described as " big on character but light on the details." HA! $1 of the pint price went to support the campaign - unless you specify otherwise. Do what you want w/ my buck - just pour the beer.

A sort of murky, chill hazed caramel amber color with a low tight head that clung in spatters to my glass.

Big hop aroma of mandarin orange and pine needles with some caramel candy sweetness. Some fruity yeast notes slide in but mostly this one seems all about the hops.

Flavor is all I would expect of a 6 Point * hoppy amber ale. Bold malty toffee flavors with strong green grassy hop character throughout. Well balanced medium bodied session ale, but decidedly hop forward with a very tasty brown sugar and hop finish.

Sort of IPAish but maltier, less IBU's with better balance and more drinkable than many IPA's.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Growler. I found this orange/gold ale at Superstar in Huntington to be very drinkable with the strong aroma of hops up front and interesting malts in the body. I couldn't name the elements of spice in the aftertaste or foamy head, but I just kept pouring as it went well with baked chicken and whole wheat pasta with diced tomatoes. Reflecting on it for a moment before pouring another pint, it reminded me of a maltier version of the Sweet Action. I could easily devour my growler's contents while wishing I had bought another one.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

First off a note about the style. This is per Jeff at Sixpoint:

"...as far as style it is no style per se. it's def not an ipa or a pale ale. we deliberately brewed it so it had no style guidelines. Maybe list it as a bitter/session ale."

So what to do? There really isn't anything that fits with what has been stated here. Due to that, I am going to put it under pale ale and leave this explanation.

Pours a clouded orange with a nice creme head. Floral hoppy nose. Strong citric hops flavor profile. Very firm bitter tone. Feel is good. This is very drinkable, even though it's so distinct and firm. Hop heads rejoice! Even in these times of hop-uncertainty, Sixpoint clearly delivers one for those who have the appreciation for it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last