The Crisp | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: German Pilsener

Old world craftsmanship with new, clean flavors. Bright pilsner malts meet Noble hop character. The Crisp, American Pilsner innovation.

Added by confer on 10-30-2010

Reviews: 416 | Ratings: 1,676
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pale gold to straw yellow in color with excellent clarity. There's an inch of frothy dishwater white on top. Aroma is of crisp, clean pilsner malt. I taste plenty of pale pilsner malt and gentle well water flavored German lager yeast. The mouth is fairly smooth, crisp, and quaffable.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light straw color with about a half finger of head. The body is light as is the flavor profile but there is a nice hop presence on the finish.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Looks like a pilsner, slightly darker, 3/4" head. Aroma was bland, mild pilsner toasted malts. Still was coming up with corn though. Couldn't pull hops out of it.

Didn't feel like a crisp mouthfeel. Feels like the hops weren't there, but excessive malt for style was. The bitterness was there, but the hop flavors and aroma was not. Not a huge Sixpoint fan.

EDIT: Got to try some fresher cans of this, was superior to my previous (2.93) score. Actually brought the hops that popped. Would bang again.

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my second review of this Pilsner. The initial six pack I purchased may have been stored incorrectly. Yellow with a nice 1" white head, poured into a Pilsner glass. I was lucky enough to try a fresh six pack, very recently brewed. Aroma is fresh cut grass, hay, orange and lemon peel. I get malts and faint hops, again with the hay and grass. Mouthfeel is extremely crisp and well carbonated. Very refreshing. I would love to try this in the heat of the summer. Finishes dry and begs for another can. The last six pack was sorta funky. No funk or skunk in this new one. I would love to try Sixpoint's beers on tap. This is not my favorite style, but if you dig German Pilsners.... seek this one out.

4.99/5  rDev +26%

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear, pale gold with a small white head. The aroma is a nice blend of hops and yeast. The taste is an awesome experience. The yeast and malt mixes perfectly with the hops and citrus.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Foamy on top and a crystal clear pale yellow on the bottom. Grass, lemon and melon to the nose. Clean all the way through with some light fruits and a touch of spice. Well made and flavorful. I can see quite a few of these in my future.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled back on 1/7/16. Comes in a 12 ounce (355ml) can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Brew pours a straw-yellow in color with about a good close to a 1-finger foamy/creamy white head. Some spotty lacing was seen when sipped. Aroma is like a pale ale actually with floral hops, pine and citrus zest. Going to go with that description for the taste as well. More like a Pale or even a IPA style brew. Medium hoppy bitterness and semi-dry for the finish. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it was OK.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Tall soapy head of 3 fingers, an 80% transparent blonde/straw colored body. Some sediment floating around nicely.

Pineapple and pine hop aromas, a touch of orange peel, followed by an overpowering whiff of stale barley.

Quite a bit of fruitiness on the taste, with tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, citrus; pine stabs as well, and then a finish stale blonde grain.

Quite a bit of creaminess as well as crispness on the eel. I like it, quite a bit.

Overall, this is again a very WEST coast style beer. Reminds me of my time in Seattle and Portland. Lots of hop profile, lots of bitterness. Still an exciting beer, though.

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is beautiful bright yellow hued brew with a pure white head which poured into a Ravenhead stein. The head was an impressive one finger in height with small bubbles.

A delicious faint odor of fresh lemons and grass.

Terrific. Lives up to its name. Almost zero hop bitterness. Perhaps I'm focusing on the malts which remind me of bread or biscuits. I know the hops are there but I appreciate the crispness.

Great Feel. Slick, fresh, refreshing. A great choice for a change from IPA overdose.

I tried this beer because I am getting really dried out since the heat came on this winter and I need a refreshing change to IPAs. I don't sense the hops that others are pointing out. They seem subdued in the presence of the malts.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

a: a mostly-clear golden amber color with some straw yellow notes. 1 finger solid, yet bubbly white head

s: crisp grains, dry crackers, lemongrass, slightly sweet malts. nice balancing earthy hop aroma as well. i'm also picking up some slighty juicy hops as well.

t: there is a refreshing grainy, grassy flavor upfront. behind that is a light malt backbone that brings some mild sweetness. behind that is a slight earthy/herbal bitterness that is very faint, but just the right level to cut the malts. there is a small tropical note from the hops as well - very slight. there is a dry crackery note towards the end as well

m: medium mouthfeel. carbonation seems a bit light for a pilsener, but there is some body to this beer. more than usual

o: its refreshing and straightforward. nothing over the top. as advertised, it is definitely a crisp beer. solid example of the style, however it could use a bit lighter mouthfeel and tone down a bit on the hops that are providing a juicy-like presence (i don't like my pilseners going down an ipa route)

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am facing a theological challenge in reviewing The Crisp. It is practically a dark night of the soul.

Where are the hops? The bold flavors? The haziness? The radical colors, practically neon, of my favorite IPAs? I see a crystal clear beverage, light copper in tone. I taste faint blueberries, some lemon. I smell more of the same.

I walked through the cloister, and stopped to smell the Bougainville; I looked up at the sky and saw the Milky Way, gossamer in the distance. I heaved a sigh and went back to my ledger. A long night awaited.

I dipped my quill into my inkpot, bit my lip, and laid point to paper. I scratched several words, and crossed them out.

I took a long draught from my tankard of The Crisp and smiled. I have rediscovered myself in its simplicity.

The Crisp is a masterpiece of a beer, and an advocate for the simplicity of the self, a tonic for the soul. This is clear flavor, refreshing mouthfeel, sessionable ABV; soothing yet thought-provoking, complex yet quaffable.

I had forgotten that to be a great beer can mean many different things. There is no objective lens through which to consider the beverage. Each beer must be evaluated on its own merit, considered in the context of its own style.

This is a great beer. I dribble some wax onto my parchment and affix my seal. The morning awaits.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12oz can:

Appearance: Clear yellow, good head.

Smell: Grassy, "crisp".

Taste: Some grain, then the grassy hops come in. Finishes very dry. I mean crazy dry.

Overall: I liked this beer but the dryness of the finish meant drinking another beer or some water afterwards. I've only had that with some super pithy DIPAs before. It might be one to try on my non-craft beer friends.

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer pours a pale straw with a large creamy head. The aroma leads with classic crackery pilsener malts, as well as some shy floral undertones, like violet, and whatever they use to scent bar soap (but it is not soapy). The flavor starts with that clean floral flavor, widening out into the malts, and finishing with a slight citrus hint. The mouthfeel is thin, dry, and very fizzy. Overall this is a veyr nice pilsener, not as flavorful as my favorites in the catagory, but a great example of delicacy.

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L (4.25) - Nice clear light yellow/gold colored beer. Little bit of thin white foam.
S (4) - Very subtle aromas here. Light light light malt with slight amount of hop. About what it should be.
T (4.25) - A nice, clean tasting beer. Proper to the style. Very well balanced.
F (4.25) - It is a very "crisp" drinking beer. Smooth with light carbonation.
O (4) - I really like Sixpoint beers and this one is good for what it is supposed to be. It's a Pilsener, and a respectable one at that.

4.12/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First time ever trying, and was pleasantly surprised in every way. Nice spicy and "crisp" noble hop flavors, a good malt backbone, and overall a very sessional and enjoyable lager. I'm a huge fan of the can profile, I wish more breweries used these can dimensions.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Slightly hazy gold with 1-2 fingers white head that retains well and leaves some nice lacing.
Smell: citrus, grassy, cereal
Taste: light dryish malt flavors with fairly strong citrusy grassy hops flavors coming through. moderate bitterness. pretty clean and crisp finish.
Feel: A highlight. lots of fine carbonation lends a creamy mouthfeel. light body.

Overall: Even though I prefer a solid traditional pils to the newer american varieties with different hops, I have to say this one is very well done. It has most of what I like about pilsners (dry, light yet aromatic) with a citrusy grassy kick and a creamy mouthfeel. Love the skinny 12 oz cans too - very compact.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About a finger of white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A crisp and bready malt forward aroma with a scent of cracker, biscuit, and subtle fruit. Pale malt with hints of grains, cracker, biscuit, caramel, and lager yeast. Some Floral and grassy hop hints. Citrus hints of lemon and orange. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like the nose hints at, a crisp and bready malt forward taste with notes of cracker, biscuit, and earthy hops. Pale malt with bready notes of cracker, grains, biscuit, caramel, and lager yeast. Solid presence of floral and earthy noble hops. Also some subtle citrus notes of lemon and orange. A pretty solid taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, pretty smooth, and drying on the finish.

Overall: A pretty solid take on a Pilsner. Nice bready malt notes with a solid hop presence.

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden yellow color with a brilliant white head looks nice , smell has notes of malts lemon grass and cracker meal, taste was awful for the style very little noble hops had an off setting soapy taste some sweet malts led to a tasteless finish , mouth feel was not crisp more sweet malt with dissapearing hops , this pils is nowhere near the style of a noble Czech style just awful IMO, will never buy this again a poor rendition of the style

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

L: Pours brilliant straw gold under a 1” white foam collar that is moderately persistent.

S: Floral aromas with some light grains.

T: a trace of fruit, light malts, a bright, assertive bitterness, grainy Pilsner malt background, light tartness on the finish. The malts are medium light, the hop flavors and bitterness are medium. Nice balance of flavors.

F: Creamy yet crisp, light to medium light body, medium high carbonation.

O: Very refreshing and easy to drink.

Tasted in a Spiegelau pilsner glass from a 12 oz can on November 26, 2015. Look is bright gold with a creamy white head and lingering lacing. Smell is floral hops and bread malts. Taste is herbal and a hint honey. Feel is light, crisp and and a little dry.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Golden, high carbonation, thin head when i pour in the glass
S:Hops, lemon,flowers grass
T: very tasty and clean , the hops dominante the taste, gives a rounded bitterness in the taste
F:Light bodied high carbonation, very easy to drink
O: A good Pilsener type , was very drinkable , i had my doubts when i bought this beer, but it suprised me.I would definetely try more from this brewery

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden lots of carbonation. Smell is sweet bready malts, noble hops. Clean drinking pilsner, they did not over-do it with the hops. Nice bubbly mouthfeel from the carb. I like it a lot could be a summertime go to

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a golden yellow color with a nice transparency about it. Carbonation ran up at a moderate pace to fill a slim finger's worth of white foamy head that ended up dissipating at a good rate. Light stringy lacing.
The smell had a "crisp" sweet corn, light grassy and floral hops and a light sweet grain to it.
The taste was moderately sweet with a nice crisp refreshing floral bitterness in the initial flavor and in the aftertaste. It gets wet and sweet in the finish.
The mouthfeel was light bodied with a nice sessionability about it. Carbonation does hit nicely on my tongue with a nice bitter harshness.
Overall, nice German pilsener well worthy of having again and preferably in the Summer, this time of year, eh, not so much but still a nice one.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

I was really wanting to try this and drove all the way across the lake to Total Wine. I searched for a long time before I found Sixpoint.
The can is cool
The beer looks really good going into a pint glass.
It smells like something I encountered before but have trouble placing.
It tastes like there are some heavy duty solvents in it that are slowly corroding the inside of the can.
I thought maybe Total Wine is too cheap to rotate stock. But the BB date is Oct 2016.
It was not in the cooler, but on the not refrigerated shelf. It says right on the can to keep refrigerated, but it wasn't. Also some of the cans have significant denting. Not to the point of leaking but still...
I never encountered a beer that was this shelf intolerant. Something went wrong. I will give it another try, but not from Total Wine.

Update: Sixpoint was supposed to send me a sixer of this in exchange for a decent review, but never did...

Oh well. I am too broke to buy more.. On PBR and Yuengling diet now...

2.54/5  rDev -35.9%

Ive REALLY been diggin good pilsners lately, so im pretty stoaked about this one. I had never heard of the brewery until our store was told we were goin to get it in last week, here goes...

L: has a nice clear golden color with a thin white head, carbonation looks medium light which excites me, not a fan of heavey/bloating carbonation.

S: It does smell "crisp" but also a little hoppy which is fine by me as long as its done right, the pilsner yeast is faint but definatley there

T: ahhh come on!! Whatever hops they used in this have avery strong florally taste, i HATE floral hop flavors!! Ick!! It over takes it completely. Lame sauce.

F: carbonation is medium/high to high, but normal for a pils, has a nice smooth after taste, almost slick.

OA: could be a much better pilsner if it wasnt for the floral hops!

The Crisp from Sixpoint Brewery