Autumnation (2011-2012) | Sixpoint Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by beerdrinker4life on 09-20-2011

Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 426
3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

pretty clear standard copper with a large, billowy white head that recedes quickly yet laces pretty well.

hoppy and spicy aroma. lots of bitter orange peel, definitely getting the ginger, maybe some cinnamon and nutmeg, but thats behind the hops and ginger aromas. its odd, but it works.

bitter citric hops with a bit of funk and definite ginger flavors. pumpkin spice doesn't come out until later. This is more of a pumpkin IPA. you do get a bit of real pumpkin flavor, but I don't think many would notice it too much if they were handed this beer blindly. fresh, wet, dank, and bitter hops give way to ginger spice, then it ends bitter.

light to medium bodied with slight carbonation and a resiny feel left on the tongue from the wet hops.

not my favorite Sixpoint offering, and definitely a different take on the style. But I like it.

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%

Couldn't wait to try this. Everything else Sixpoint has put into a can has been exceptional. And the pour here is nothing short of gorgeous - beautiful burnt orange with a thick one finger head.

I generally associate pumpkin ales with pumpkin pie filling in a can, i.e. spices, clove, sweet pumpkin, etc. Most of them have a tendency to be cloyingly sweet, and I was thinking Sixpoint could bridge the gap between the sweet and bitter. They got the latter down...., this is bitter, very hoppy, really more of an IPA. The can is saying there's ginger, but I can't really taste any....just getting mouthfuls of bitter hops resulting in somewhat of a metallic, astringent mouthfeel on the back end (maybe even a hint of hot dog on the nose?). A little harsh.

I could drink a 4 pack of Bengali Tiger or Righteous Ale every day for the rest of my life, but this isn't one I see myself returning to too much. Might be curious to try it on tap.

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Ok - I muscled my way through the 3rd can of this 4pk - I was eager to grab up Sixpoint's fall seasonal - the first one I drank directly from the can on the go,after having a few other beers, not knowing it was a pumpkin/spiced ale and after the first sips I thought there was something wrong (besides the fact that I was drinking directly from the can with a tainted palate) - I didn't like this beer at all,metallic and onion-ey - shades of 'the Gubna' - the 2nd can a few days later yielded the same taste results, with the 'metallic' aftertaste very prominent under my tongue - I just finished the 3rd can, poured into a pint glass - aroma was fine, but in the taste department I was getting more 'onion beer' than pumpkin beer - I really like the other offerings from this brewery but this one's a miss...

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

A: A cloudy orange pour, huge fluffy white (With just a hint of orange) head. Retention is excellent and lacing is everywhere.

S: Smells like a hop bomb IPA for sure. Super citrusy with just a hint of peppery spice.

T: Very hop-forward with lots of citrus. Quickly turns bitter and spicy in the middle. Can taste a hint of delicious spiced pumpkin in the aftertaste and for a while after that. As it warms the pumpkin comes out stronger and stronger. Great transition - not unlike a great imperial stout as it warms up.

M: Medium mouthfeel but quite creamy. Smooth.

O: Definitely an interesting take on the style, never had anything like it. It smells a lot like an IPA initially, but tastes way too creamy to be any IPA I've ever had. The pumpkin flavor is excellent and I love how it starts out very subtle in the aftertaste and slowly takes over the beer as you drink it. Amazing especially once it warms up a bit.

4.26/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

I haven't been this intrigued about a beer in a long time. A wet-hopped pumpkin ale? Yes, please.

I never thought I would see a beer that deserves a "5" in appearance, but I always thought it would have to be a stout with perfectly milk-chocolate, marshmallow head. Nope, it's this one. This one is orange, virtually the color of the can, hazy, with nice carbonation and a replenishing head. Just gorgeous.

Aroma is a blast of hops with the crack of the can. After the pour and as it warms, a lot of spice comes through, and the hops virtually disappear. This beer has an interesting evolution as you drink it.

There's a lot going on in the flavor. The funky, musty wet-hop flavor suits the harvest beers well, and it's nicely married with some pumpkin spice here. Again, there's an evolution of flavor- hops when it's fresh out of the fridge, and more sweetness and seasonal spices as it warms. There's a lot going on for sure.

This brew is almost creamy, which I guess is appropriate for the flavors. I'm wondering how the flavors would mesh if this was brewed a bit less cloudy and with a little more of a clean, crisp mouthfeel.

This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but this brew is fairly groundbreaking. I'd love to see more experimentation with the standard pumpkin ale.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

A: dark amber orange with a white head
S: mainly smell citrusy hops with a hint of spice
T: upfront citrusy hops, pumpkin and ginger liners in the background with a gingery spicy finish
M: tons of tony bubbles effervescing on the tongue, thinner body
O: boy bad and definitely not what I expected as a fall beer. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is more like an ipa than a falk seasonal brew. Definitely a welcomed beer as I'm not a huge fan of most pumpkiny fall style beers. Great job sixpoint

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Pours a hazy deep amber with a nice fluffy white two finger head.

S - A nice spicy aroma. Smells like fall in a can. I get the ginger, pumpkin and cinnamon. Sweet hops too.

T - The hops stand out but you also get the nice pumpkin and spice notes. The ginger and cinnamon are very present.

M - A nice medium body mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - It's tough to call this a straight up pumpkin ale. It feels more like an IPA. This has over taken Dogfish's Punkin as my new favorite fall seasonal brew. Sixpoint nailed this one.

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%

Calling this a pumpkin ale is slightly misleading - this is a hoppy "autumn" ale with a hint of pumpkin spice. I would call it a straight up IPA.

A: hazy dark amber with an off white creamy head. Nice lacing and overall a good looking fall beer.

S: fresh pungent Citra hops really stand out. I can get a slight hint of some maltiness, and just a touch of pumpkin pie spice, but it's all hiding under the hops.

T: not overly bitter (68 IBUs) but a nice citrusy punch that lingers for a long time. I mostly taste hops, but I can just pick out subtle pumpkin spice. There is a roundness to the flavor that is very enjoyable and keeps me coming back.

M: This is where it shines - the pumpkin gives an incredibly smooth, creamy body while not being overly full-bodied. It is an IPA, but the pumpkin does wonders. Maybe a little too much carbonation for me.

O: Will be my go-to fall beer. Thank you Sixpoint, glad I live down the road and can get this easily.

4.85/5  rDev +31.8%

i picked up this beer in nyc after last weeks sixpoint launch in the dc area i had to go out and find this they have rapidly become my favorite brewery

ok i poured this into my pint glass at my hotel and it was marvelous. nice amber beer kind of like the color of a pumpkin! red and orange and with a beige head on it :-)

taste oh soo good it really reminded me of a nice ipa beer but thats what it is according to the can, not really a pumpkin spice beer but more of a harvest ale beer, that's cool :-)

mouthfeel was a nice medium to full upfront but then the hops came in at the end and cleaned it out

overall i loved this beer and sooo much better than those pumpkin pie tasting spice shakes i usually had i hope to see this in DC real soon! :-)

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

this was an unexpected surprise on the shelves today when grabbing some brews for a trading partner. first seasonal in a can from sixpoint.

best by march 12 2012!

a - cracked the can and filled my E snifter. nice and murky orange/tan, same color as the can. thin foamy bubbly head with semi sticky lacing. head hung out for a while.

s - cinnamon spicey sweet hops. a bit belgiany, reminds me of bengali a bit. a bit of pumpkin, but nothing like most of the in your face pumpkuns, more ginger than pumpkin.

t - interesting. pretty bitter. pretty piney. nothing really in the nose shows itself in the flavor. mostly just spicey and peppery. it was pretty intense at first, but as I got into it I got more of the nose, but as far as pumpkin beers go, this one seems to be lacking the pumpkin. if this brew turned down the bitter and upped the sweetness it might hit the mark a bit better for what I look for in a pumpkin beer.

m - good carbonation, medium to light bodied. goes down easy and once you get over the spicey bitterness there is a pleasant after vibe.

o - overall I am a big fan of sixpoint and drink their other brews regularly, but this beer can't hold a flame to other pumpkins. it isn't a bad beer and catches the seasonal flavors a bit but everything seems to be washed in a bitter hopness that seems to clash. overall I probably will pick up other sixpoint four packs over this one, but am definitely glad I tried this and will certainly give it a shot on draft if I see it locally.

4.29/5  rDev +16.6%

Pumpkin beer in a can, alright! I got an email today from Sixpoint about this beer - 800lbs of fresh Citra hops shipped overnight, etc. Expected to see it show up maybe in a week or so but low and behold it was in at the Craft Beer Cellar!

Hazy orange, big fluffy white head at first, then big soapy bubbles

Smells potently of delicious fresh hops right from the crack of the can

Tastes really like an IPA to me and certainly not your typical pumpkin beer (overspiced, etc). Some spiciness in there that almost reminds me of a saison - perhaps that is the ginger and "spice" noted on the can. The fresh Citra hops are really nice, there is something about the wet hop that is notably different although I can't quite put my finger on it here. I don't taste any pumpkin but then again, it's such a delicate flavor it's no wonder it gets lost in a beer this hoppy. I'm aslo getting some of the malt character

The mouthfeel is nice - the carbonation seems kind of low after a while and there is a slickness, which I suspect might be contributed by the gourd.

Autumnation is a really welcome addition (and a nice alternative to the typical) to fall seasonal beers - despite being far from what one would expect from a pumpkin beer, and in the form of a pounder no less!

4.82/5  rDev +31%

Love Pumpkin beers. Love hops. Wet hopped pumpkin? I must be in heaven.

Poured deep amber. Lots of haze. Thick head. Mpungemt spice and citrus aroma. Maybe ginger in there too.

Taste is intense and aggressive hops. Real thick resin. Big bite upfront then crashing intense in the end.

Pungent herbs and spice wipes palate clean. Little graininess in the mouthfeel.

I think this might be my favorite pumpkin beer I have had.

LOVE THE AUTUMNATION PROCESS AND LOVE WET HOP PUMPKIN ALE

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Had the opportunity to sample this beer along with the Reverend in Brooklyn. Two IPAs in one night. Check that. Two new IPAs in one night. Yes!

Ok, well this is a Pumpkin beer, but it certainly did not taste like most that I had. Then I realized it had "wet hops" in it. My kind of beer.

I asked for a pint glass and poured it out. Went outside and sure enough, this beer is blaze orange with a massive pillow of foam on it. It had nice lacing all the way down.

Whoa, this thing smells like a hop farm. Really, intense herbal and dank aroma of hops in there. Super fresh.

Taste follow up with the same. Super intense and basil like flavor, with pine resin and sap. Wow. You can feel it like its sucking on a hop cone.

I get a little bit of the ginger and pepper in there too, but not much.

Overall, this is the most interesting Pumpkin beer I ever had, but as a hop lover, I am a bit jaded! I will seek this out again.

Autumnation (2011-2012) from Sixpoint Brewery