Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Liked:
4.12/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,775 |  Reviews: 880
4.08/5  rDev -1%

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a clear amber with a half inch white head that was well retained and left decent lacing. Smells of pine, citrus and a hint of malts. Tastes of pine, grapefruit, grapefruit rind, a sweetness that I am attributing to the malts and some tropical fruit notes. Quite bitter, dry mouth feel, medium bodied and carbonated.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Hazy amber with a creamy off white head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: Candied hop sweetness and rich malt. Candied grapefruit and orange peel, orange marmalade, caramel, toast, lemonade powder, pine sap, earthy dankness.

T: Big juicy orange and grapefruit upfront. Blood orange and ruby red grapefruit juice, as well as candied grapefruit peel. On the mid-palate there is a firm toasted bread malt backbone, slight caramel, slightly sweet but not too sweet. On the back end, in typical Sixpoint fashion, there are those subtle tropical fruit notes--candied blueberry with guava and lychee. The finish is piney, earthy, and resinous; moderately bitter of pine needle but not an overpowering medicinal bitterness. There are also faint green onion/garlic notes. Finishes well-balanced, with just touches of lingering sweetness and bitterness.

F: Medium-plus-bodied, well-rounded with a nice chewy breadiness. It's not creamy or milkshake-like, but it's a substantial filling sensation. Moderately carbonated, just enough to push across the palate fairly rapidly.

O: After all these years, still an incredibly well made DIPA. IPAs aren't always a very complex style, but this one is. Marvelous for multiple reasons.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.42/5  rDev -41.3%

I'm honestly baffled at all the good reviews this beer gets. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I see no indication of that and it was just recently put on the shelves of my local Whole Foods beer refrigerator. I keep close track of their inventory because I'm there buying beer once or twice every week because it's surprisingly enough the cheapest beer seller in my neighborhood. Whole Foods is generally pretty good about only selling fresh beer, too, at least compared to Harris Teeter, the other local grocery store in my area which often has seasonal/limited release beers months after they disappear from Whole Foods' shelves (the most egregious example of this was a Stone Enjoy By IPA, probably my favorite IPA, dated in June but being sold in August).

In any case, this beer is awful. It's insanely bitter, even for an IPA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but becomes a horrible thing when combined with the relatively shallow flavor. With a name like Resin I expected it to taste like it was brewed with bong water, but it actually had little depth. It tasted like it had a lot of one uncomplex hoppish flavor, as if they'd dumped a bucket of liquid hops substitute into the beer instead of hops.

I realize this review is very harsh and a big outlier from the rest, so I feel the need to say that I'm not some asshat who just one stars any beer that isn't perfect. If you look at my reviews you'll notice that I usually rate beers higher than the average. IPAs are my favorite type of beer. I've tried hundreds and the only one I can think of that I disliked more than this was Costco's store brand Kirkland IPA that I bought in a craft beer variety pack of 24 beers for $19.95 (except for the double bock, the whole case was pretty underwhelming, btw, which was disappointing since Kirkland wine is usually pretty solid for the price). Like I said, maybe I got a bad batch. But I really don't think so. This didn't taste like beer that spoiled. It just tasted like poorly made beer. At least it has high BAC. That said, it's not undrinkable. I managed to struggle through a six pack of New Belgium's Ben and Jerry's cookie dough monstrosity, so I'll manage to drink these too, but I am most definitely not going to enjoy them.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

12oz can into a pint glass

L: Pours a clear light copper, with a foamy 2-finger head that lingers a bit leaving average lacing.

S: Big nose, with predominant pine aroma and some citrus.

T/F: Very flavorful, definitely notice the dank hops. The finish is where you get the 103 IBUs kicking in, as well as the alcohol, especially as it warms up.

O: Nice double IPA. A little on the bitter side. I've had some that are a bit smoother, which is more to my liking, but still a very good pickup.

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.19/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

6/5/17...pours clear copper , see through, with fluffy 1/4 inch white foam. Resin soaked aroma with an edgy peppy malt. Heavy bitter oily resins. It burns, it burns! Boozy to boot. This is a tough one to get through, an all out assault of the taste buds. too much for me.

4.74/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So I would give this 5's across the board if I had the best beers in the whole world but I haven't so I can't say that something is the best possible whilst not know what could be better. All that being said, WOW talk about your daddy's beer. This could not have a better name. Every thing about this beer shouts HOPS!!! So if you love the bitter, nasty sweet pine taste of hops this is your best friend cause it is amazing. I have to say that I bought a six pack for about $12 bucks after tax and that's what attributes to my enthusiasm. If you "want you money worth" this is great! Definitely a must try for IPA fans

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light copper, somewhat hazy, with a short to medium head that has good retention, leaving a layer over the top and some lace. Nose is actually much lighter than expected with some dank pine and a few generic fruity tropical notes. Taste is bigger, and certainly features sticky resinous pine. Has a touch of sweetness, but not overly for for such a big beer. It also keeps some of those fruity tropical notes. Perceived Bitterness is certainly lower tha the 103 IBUs listed. Overall, a good beer that simply isn't as good as some of the other really big 9%+ IPAs at the head of the class.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery