Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Ratings: 4,767 |  Reviews: 878
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The malt won the battle. I was hoping for more piney tones

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear gold. Big head fades fast.

Smells more malty than hoppy.

Taste is hop forward, and too sweet, but a nice bitter finish.

Medium high carbonation and some alcohol burn.

A well made DIPA, but just too sweet and too high alcohol for me, and lacks my favorite hop aromas, like floral and passion fruit.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Pours a very clear, dark gold with about 1/2 a finger of white lacing. Great carbonation. Complex smell on this one. Slightly earthy with big fruit notes. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and peach. Of course, hints of pine and hops, too. Medium weight, and surprisingly smooth and creamy. Good amount of bitterness, but I wouldn't have guessed 100 IBUs. Pine and hops up front with a fruit middle (grapefruit/mango/pineapple). Sweet tasting towards the finish, with a pleasant, smooth end.

Overall, a very nice beer. It reminded me a little of FSW Double Jack initially, but after warming up the fruit really comes alive in this one. My wife even liked it, which almost caused me to fall out of my chair (she hates beer, but willingly samples everything I drink). I really have nothing bad to say about this beer. It didn't blow my mind, but I feel like the BA rating is a tad low.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev 0%

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

I've never had a chance to properly review this beer (even though I've had it several times), so here goes nothing. 12 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, eggshell in shade, and pretty damn ugly. It's super soapy-looking, has a rough texture, and poor retention. At leat some sudsy lacing sticks to the glass, giving it some aesthetic redemption. (3.25)

Smell: This is definitely different to the last time I had Resin. Instead of pure pine, it's a more varied hoppiness. I get plenty of lemongrass, melon, orange rind, stone fruits, pineapple, and grass alongside the aforementioned pinyness. Plenty of sweet, cookie-like malt also makes itself known. There's a definitely mutating complexity to this one that rises it above a lot of average DIPAs. (4)

Taste: It starts off supremely fruity - mango, orange, and melon all make themselves known immediately. And yet, it's blended with a powerful grass-laden bitterness. This finishes gently sweet - the more I drink it, the more the bitter attack seems to subside on my taste buds. I'm really enjoying the balance of malt sweetness, earthen bitterness, and tropical fruit goodness here. (4)

Mouthfeel: It isn't light or dinky, but it IS crisp and dry. Because the bitterness of this beer is front-loaded, it doesn't linger badly on the palate - and that my friends, is what makes it so damn drinkable. Carbonation does a good job of scrubbing the sweetness/bitterness off of the palate. (4.25)

Overall: I really like Sixpoint because they don't give a toss about traditional styles, and they're not afraid to reformulate a beer on a moment's notice. This used to be all pine and all bitterness - nowadays, it's been changed for the better. It's caught between being a tropical fruit bomb and a bitter piny attack, without being a compromised worst-of-both-worlds DIPA. I'll drink it again, I'll buy it again, and I'll even throw it in my regular rotation (when it's fresh, duh!) (4)

3.98/5: Sixpoint definitely changed this for the better

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

L - crystal clear gold. Looks like an exotic gemstone with a mystical aura about it.

S - combination of orange and a strong wintry pine. Fresh and potent. Sweet malts.

T - more of the nose, but the booze amplifies it. That wintry freshness is kicked up with a minty sensation. Cooling and numbing. Grassy candied orange and lemon.

F - low key and creamy. Definitely matches its booze level.

O - a robust and solid IPA from Sixpoint. A bit one-dimensional in its flavor profile, but it happens to be a dimension I'm fond of!

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic beer. Doesn't look as nice as Hi-Res in the glass, but for my money it drinks much better. Lots of crisp clean notes of pine and citrus with just enough accompanying floral sweetness. The texture is a near-perfect slightly sticky medium with light tingly carbonation and a clean dryish finish. I found Hi-Res to be just a bit on the syrupy side, but this is a real beauty that I'll be stocking up on.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear gold color, tight thick white head that hung around for a bit and left a thin lace around the glass. Hops up front (what did you expect from an IPA) pine and thin wisps of citrus. Taste is clean and crisp up front, slight hint of sweetness followed up with the hops giving in with (I thought) opposite of the aroma, citrus on the front with a pine bitterness on the finish. Smooth mouthfeel. You can enjoy this brew without having your taste buds destroyed. Worth trying.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +2%

I will open this with a confession. Prior to this beer, I was a Double IPA virgin. I am also not the biggest IPA fan in the world. Nevertheless I decided to give this a shot. I poured it from a can into a pint glass. The appearance is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect head. Perfect lacing. Beautiful deep golden color. It is hard for me to get over how good this looks. I was expecting the smell to be very intense. Again, Double IPA virgin over here! The smell was actually very mild and pleasant. Piney and citrusy scent. Not at all overbearing. But I almost feel let down by the lack of intensity. But that's probably the Double IPA virgin ine speaking. No deduction for that. The taste is very good. It is what I expected after the smell. It is a very well-balanced beer. It has a noticeable malty character. But there is a strong piney and grapefruit flavor. It is not at all overbearing though which is my primary criticism of most IPAs. But this is precisely what I wish all IPAs were like. I did not expect to enjoy this much. But damn this is one fine beer in every way. I will definitely be getting my hands on more of this. It is also my first Sixpoint beer and cannot wait to try more.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -1%

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%