Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Ratings: 4,809 |  Reviews: 888
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had hi-res prior to trying this. Resin is more impressive. Found this six pack within a week of bottling. Looks like a great beer. Wish it had a bit more aroma. Feel is amazing with nice hoppy bitter burn. Finish is slightly dry. In my top 5 DIPA list.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

4.79/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just like their cream ale, sweet action, mouthfeel is key here. Not as hoppy as I would expect with a name like Resin. However my palate could be misplaced by the previous IPA. Overall an excellent beer. I'm ecstatic to try other brews from them.

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

4.12/5  rDev 0%

4.08/5  rDev -1%

4.16/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The malt won the battle. I was hoping for more piney tones

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clear gold. Big head fades fast.

Smells more malty than hoppy.

Taste is hop forward, and too sweet, but a nice bitter finish.

Medium high carbonation and some alcohol burn.

A well made DIPA, but just too sweet and too high alcohol for me, and lacks my favorite hop aromas, like floral and passion fruit.

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Pours a very clear, dark gold with about 1/2 a finger of white lacing. Great carbonation. Complex smell on this one. Slightly earthy with big fruit notes. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and peach. Of course, hints of pine and hops, too. Medium weight, and surprisingly smooth and creamy. Good amount of bitterness, but I wouldn't have guessed 100 IBUs. Pine and hops up front with a fruit middle (grapefruit/mango/pineapple). Sweet tasting towards the finish, with a pleasant, smooth end.

Overall, a very nice beer. It reminded me a little of FSW Double Jack initially, but after warming up the fruit really comes alive in this one. My wife even liked it, which almost caused me to fall out of my chair (she hates beer, but willingly samples everything I drink). I really have nothing bad to say about this beer. It didn't blow my mind, but I feel like the BA rating is a tad low.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I've never had a chance to properly review this beer (even though I've had it several times), so here goes nothing. 12 oz can into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, eggshell in shade, and pretty damn ugly. It's super soapy-looking, has a rough texture, and poor retention. At leat some sudsy lacing sticks to the glass, giving it some aesthetic redemption. (3.25)

Smell: This is definitely different to the last time I had Resin. Instead of pure pine, it's a more varied hoppiness. I get plenty of lemongrass, melon, orange rind, stone fruits, pineapple, and grass alongside the aforementioned pinyness. Plenty of sweet, cookie-like malt also makes itself known. There's a definitely mutating complexity to this one that rises it above a lot of average DIPAs. (4)

Taste: It starts off supremely fruity - mango, orange, and melon all make themselves known immediately. And yet, it's blended with a powerful grass-laden bitterness. This finishes gently sweet - the more I drink it, the more the bitter attack seems to subside on my taste buds. I'm really enjoying the balance of malt sweetness, earthen bitterness, and tropical fruit goodness here. (4)

Mouthfeel: It isn't light or dinky, but it IS crisp and dry. Because the bitterness of this beer is front-loaded, it doesn't linger badly on the palate - and that my friends, is what makes it so damn drinkable. Carbonation does a good job of scrubbing the sweetness/bitterness off of the palate. (4.25)

Overall: I really like Sixpoint because they don't give a toss about traditional styles, and they're not afraid to reformulate a beer on a moment's notice. This used to be all pine and all bitterness - nowadays, it's been changed for the better. It's caught between being a tropical fruit bomb and a bitter piny attack, without being a compromised worst-of-both-worlds DIPA. I'll drink it again, I'll buy it again, and I'll even throw it in my regular rotation (when it's fresh, duh!) (4)

3.98/5: Sixpoint definitely changed this for the better