Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Ratings: 4,733 |  Reviews: 869

Perfect

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

What a phenomenal beer. Smooth, highly drinkable, with subtle flavors. Nice elements of sweetness on the finish, and gentle hoppiness. Was surprised to see that this is an imperial IPA--it's really not that hoppy, and it doesn't slam you in the face. The ABV is high, but this beer is so tasty and suave that you won't know what hit you. Light, refreshing and flavorful. Great beer.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Resin: with a name like that I just know that I am going to enjoy this beer. Sixpoint Brewing is a new one for me - hailing from the newest of Yorks, Brooklyn to be precise, these guys obviously make a point of dry hopping their beers - point in case; 103 IBU's? (International Bitterness Units - the most widely recognised measurement of how bitter a beer is) I don't think I've ever tried anything that hoppy before. Taste buds set for: destruction.

Poured from a 355ml can into a nonic pint.

A: Appears as a delightful hazy amber body with a light half centimetre off-white head that sticks around rather well.

S: Pine resin [see this beer lives up to its name] and bitter grapefruit citric hops make themselves well known off the tee. There is a caramel biscuit malt base lurking around somewhere however the hops are, as they should be, the champion here.

T: Bold, to say the least, hops dominate the entire palate from back to front. There is a pine resin and grapefruit slant on this brew, along with fresh grated pepper and a herbal vivaciousness. It is a bit of a one-sided battle without a decent malt base and to be honest these hops are just too damn strong (and I say that with a tear in the corner of my eye - people I LOVE HOPS!). The after taste is damningly bitter - even for an American beer.

M: Medium bodied, sticky (coats the tongue with its bitter orange-rind viscosity) and lightly carbonated.

D: Too far hop car. I wanted to love this beer - I really did, but the hop bitterness was too extreme (I guess I know my IBU limit is up around 103) and lacking in variety - more aromatic hops would have made this brew a master stroke. That being said it is still a decent effort, the freshness of the hops went down well, and it was interesting to reach my limit on bitterness, at least I now know where it is. Overall I'm probably being harsher than usual because I'm comparing this to the Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, which is a brilliant IPA. Give it a go if you love hops but remember: this is not for the faint of taste buds, you have been warned.

Food match: It's difficult to advise of an appropriate food for this brew given the severity of the bitterness - I will say spicy cuisine (Indian, Thai, Mexican) would be the best way to approach this hop monstrosity.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery