Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can poured into a tulip

A - A very attractive orange-copper color with a white head and minimal carbonation. Slightly hazy.

S - Big hop punch up front. Resinous hops, slightly piney. Pretty muted.

T - Resinous and piney hops up front. Some sweet malt in the background. Somewhat one-dimensional but executed well.

M - Shockingly clean finish. Just a tiny hint of lingering bitterness in a very pleasant way.

O - I did have this a touch past prime but I won't hold that against the beer. It was slightly one-dimensional but I believe this was the intention. Resin and pine are the prevailing flavors and it's quite enjoyable. The finish was shockingly clean as well. Well done brew.

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Re-visiting the first dipa I ever bought, and the beer that got me into the ipa/dipa style. First, the aroma and taste are dominated by pine and then a little grapefruit, but mainly pine. This lends to a bitter dipa despite a sold malt backing. The malt consisting of some bread and some caramel sweetness. I must say while this is a good beer, but after a year of beer drinking this beer is tasting different to me. I remember the citrus/floral aspect being big, but I don't recall the pine being so dominate when I last tried it in 2013. Overall I'd say this is a solid dipa, however, the pine isn't pleasant to me. The malt helps to balance the bitter/pine a bit, but not enough. Still, this is a beer I will revisit, and one that I would recommended. (85/100)

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Best by 7-13-14

Appearance: A Beautiful amber, Honey like almost glowing appearance. Very pretty.

Aroma: Whoa! Floral, grapefruit, pine resin, honey, biscuit, tobacco, citrus, pineapple, slight rum, I could pull aromas off of this for hours!

Taste: Oh yeah, just how the aromas lead you to think this will taste. Big slap of bitterness followed by just enough malty sweetness, but not too much. AMAZING.

Body: Even better than I remember it. I know that they extended the boil time a little and I think it was a good move. I could swirl this around my mouth forever.

Overall: One hell of a DIPA, a go-to for sure. I think that their "tweaks" on this recipe were for the better. Everything I look for and more in a Imperial IPA. Well done Sixpoint.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%