Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Ratings: 4,858 |  Reviews: 903

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Too bitter at the start, taste better as it sits and warms. Good color and mouthfeel but expected a richer, more syrupy character to balance the high ABV. Had the "Florida Man" imperial IPA the other day at Cigar City and this similar beer does not quite hold up to that level of excellence

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Orange, a touch of haze, good head and sticky lace.

Aroma and flavor match the name, very resiny hoppy, with a touch of malt backbone just for a hint of the semblance of balance, and the lightest sweetness. Hops mostly dominate tho, with pine, citrus, a touch of spice perhaps.

Body is very nice, almost chewy, much thicker than many double IPAs, but that doesn't take away at all, if anything it's a plus. Resinous, bitter, oily finish.

Very nice, I'm glad I picked up a four pack. I will try another four pack of a different sixpoint beer next time I shop for commercial beer.

My only suggestion for the brewery is that their packages aren't clearly labeled as to what style of beer is contained within. I was a little hesitant to pick up a four and try them because I wasn't sure which one was which style. Decided to just take a chance on this one, figuring resin COULD mean IPA or IIPA (but I suppose it could have meant other things too).

Overall, a very tasty and interesting take on a IIPA. I will certainly buy this one again. I like the slim-line cans too, they fit on the door of a fridge more efficiently.

Edit: my comments and descriptions remain about the same. However, I have bumped my ratings just a little. Reason for this is that I keep buying this beer, and it keeps impressing me, which makes me buy another four pack etc etc. This really is a very fine IIPA, and I think it's Sixpoint's best beer.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a burnt with a thin white creamy head
smell is amazing. Very strong and very fruity
taste amazing as well. Big time hops, citrusy and delicious. No mention in there about 9% abv
feel is just right with the correct amount of carbonation and nice slickness to each sip
overall, this is the first of the new recipe I've tried and it is phenomenal. The old recipe was amazing but this is a whole new level. If you haven't had resin in a while, put down what you're doing and go get some.

You can thank me later