Resin | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An ode to the sticky quintessence of hops that never forgoes balance. This piney, resinous Double IPA clocks in at over 100 IBUs.

"First formulated in 2004, this is the story of the sticky quintessence of the hop cone, and all of the joy it brings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4neeh3ziWw "

Added by Jason on 01-10-2012

Reviews: 856 | Ratings: 4,670
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

It's a good beer, with one small flaw.

It truly does taste like a classic double IPA, which is a good thing. I had no way of knowing whether this 4-pack I bought was actually fresh or starting to lose the hoppy flavor. I found this in a local Spec's, and the guy in the store told me they just had gotten Sixpoint beers few weeks ago.

Having said that, the taste is very good except that it seemed that the alcohol was coming through a bit too strongly. I'd have to give this beer another go someday soon to see if it's just a one-time phenomenon.

I'd drink this again, but since it's coming all the way from New York, and it seems like anything from New York City is ridiculously overpriced. $9 for four-pack? I'm undecided if that's too much or not.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

From the cool can into the pint glass, the appearance is a slightly hazed amber color with a decent white powder puff on top that deflates quickly to a solid cover and plenty of lacing. The aroma brings a decidedly crisp citrus theme with a subtle pine biscuit and a fair malt presence as a supporting cast. The flavor grabs your taste buds with aggressive citrus grain hops that tingles the tongue. Lots of caramel grain and citrus bite. Body is solidly medium-plus with tiny, sprite bubbles to provide a tingly, refreshing feel despite being a bit on the viscous side. Very nice hop brew!

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer is a knockout. Literally. Halfway through the beer I was really feeling it! At 9.1%ABV, this is no joke. It is a perfectly named beer with amazing hop resin oozing from every sip. The perfect balance of bitterness, and it doesn't taste high in alcohol. This beer is dangerous. One of the most balanced Imperial IPAs I've had. This beer is the energy drink of hops (and the can looks like it too)!

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours a hazy honey amber with 3 fingers of cream colored head. The head melts slow and steady while leaving very little lacing.

S - Pine oils, leafy green hops, spearmint, sweet pungent citrus, tropical fruits, dense pale malt.

T - Follows the name, resinous pine with bright ruby red grapefruit, leafy green hops, faint mint, grapefruit pith bitterness quickly cuts through the sweetness. The hop oils blanket the palate. A shortbread malt provides mild sweetness with some saltiness on the back end. Has a bright grapefruit bitterness long through the finish.

M - Oily, bitter, resinous, medium body, medium creamy carbonation.

I love this DIPA! It's everything I want in the style. Loads of sticky, oily hops, creating a bright sweetness but plenty of bitterness. I know people say this alot, but I would seriously have this in the fridge at all times if I could get it in Oklahoma. It's nice to see a step away from the American Strong Ale, Barleywine category. Seek this out!

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint glass. Light and hazy orange/gold. About a finger of white head that disappears rather quickly. Decent retention on glass. This appears to be a very good beer. Smell is amazing, with sweet pine and citrus aromas and a bit of malt. Taste is where this falls off slightly. I am not disappointed with the taste, but I think it must be a combination of factors that lead to my slightly above average taste rating. Pine and citrus flavors are prominent, but grapefruit rind sort of dries out any sweetness I may have picked up from the smell. It's not bad, but the taste is not as appealing to me as other beers like this. I suppose it is resinous, too. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, almost like a bite of bread, or something similar. Overall this is a decent beer. It's unique, too, and that is why I say that I still enjoy it, even though some elements are not as agreeable as some of my favorite DIPA's. Cheers.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Had bought a 4-pack in early August. Last one left. Poured into a snifter for review.

A: Pours a gold with light amber tint and massive foamy, almost styrofoam-like head. Head actually looks like spray-on foam insulation. Some lazy carbonation evident.

S: Smells like a hop lover's paradise with pungent aromas of pine & citrus. Totally in-your-face hop aroma. I dig. The name "resin" aptly fits this beer from aroma alone.

T: Truly resinous on the teeth. It feels like there is so much hop residue that it coats your tongue. I like it. Does seem a bit out of whack, though. Very faint malt character but mostly hops through & through. Some warm alcohol notes are evident.

M: Highly bitter. Feels a bit heavy due to the high amount of hop residue. Drinks like a barley wine.

O: A very nice interpretation of a DIPA. And an East Coast version at that. I really like this one and will absolutely come back to it again and again.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

I enjoyed it, but prefer their other offerings. I've never been sure if I'm supposed to get more hope, more alcohol, more sweetness, or all of the above from a DIPA, but this one tends towards the sweet side. It's not at all bad, but I prefer their Bengali Tiger, which has more of a straight hop flavor.

I'm after hops when I have an IPA/DIPA, and this had more malt with it. Again, not bad, but if I'm choosing a Sixpoint offering, I'd rather have their Bengali Tiger or Diesel.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Another awesome beer from a very generous trader. Thanks again Andrew!

12oz can

A - Pours a hazy copper with a one finger off white head. Head dissipates at a fairly hasty rate, but there is a plenty of lacing that clings to the glass...

S - Lots of delicious citrus and pine coming through on the nose. Pine, grapefruit, mango, and hints of sweet caramel. Very inviting...

T - Good dose of caramel malts up front. Orange, mango, and grapefruit follow with pine, grapefruit, and lingering caramel on the finish. Lots of bittereness on the finish. Abv is very well masked...

M - Medium bodied with a lighter amount of carbonation, and a dry finish...

0 - Pretty solid DIPA. Not as smooth as some because of the bitterness, but definitely very drinkable. Not sure what the price of these are as I obtained it in a trade, but I could easily see myself drinking these on a regular basis if it was available in my area...

Cheers...

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Apricot body. White head with ok retention and lace.

S - Bright mandarin orange, honey, and warm alcohol.

T - Deep caramel sugar with a thick, resiny woody bitterness that coats your palate. Orange fruit center. Lingering honey and a pine resin finish.

M - Medium/full with nice carbonation.

O - A fantastic brew. Unique hop character loaded with sweet woody bitters.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Poured from a cold 12oz can into a weizen glass, Resin IIPA yielded a half-finger of bone-white head which immediately dissipated. Thick, dense lacing and extremely strong retention as I tilt the beer around the glass. Color is a dark, semi-opaque amber/bronze.

S: Up front, the piney hops hit the nostrils, immediately followed by warm, caramel-malt tones. If the beer tastes as balanced as the smell, I'm sold!

T: Right off the bat, extremely bitter hops assault your tongue in that face-contorting kinda way. A glance at the can reveals it's rated at 103 IBUs. NO WONDER! Carbonation is extremely mild, allowing the hop rush to slam you unbridled, sip after sip. After repeated sips (and as the beer warms), I catch faint hints of the maltiness I smelled earlier. However, this is not what I would call a 'balanced IIPA', and I have to dock it a bit for that. The hops lean heavily toward the sharp, pine variety; not much citrus or flora in the equation. Additionally, I would appreciate a bit more malt to balance things out.

M: The actual feel of the beer is among the best I've had. The extra-mild carbonation gives the beer a quick, smooth flow and crisp dry finish, indicative of the best IIPAs out there.

O: Six Point's 'Resin' is a no-nonsense IIPA. It's a whole LOT of bitter, piney hops and not much else. While I appreciate an extra bitter IPA/DIPA as much as the next guy, overall balance and complexity are things that shouldn't be forsaken in order to hit an IBU benchmark. Beers like Sierra Nevada's 'Hoptimum' and Dogfish Head's 'Burton Baton' are shining examples of well-rounded, balanced, complex IIPAs. Resin is more of a one-trick pony (or one-trick Clydesdale!)

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Slender 12oz can, freshest before 3/3/13.

Orange-gold body, creamy white head. Above average lace and retention, particularly for a Sixpoint IPA. Hop oil aroma grabs my senses quickly, imparting its hoppy freshness into my skull.

Hop bite is middlingly sharp (oxymoron?), some malt here but not enough. Sticky hop resin coats my mouth. Viscous body caught me off guard -- really enjoyed that part of the beer.

A nice DIPA, but nothing special.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A-Cloudy yellow orange, some carbonation, two finger hear. Clears up as you drink it.

S-Lots of hops. Citrus and floral notes with grass and pine sneaking in.

T-Hop goodness. Caramel malt is balanced out with earthy hops and citrus notes. Good bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, velvety, nice carbonation and sticky hop resins.

O-A nice DIPA, good bitterness with a solid hop profile.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a narrow 12oz can into a glass. Expiration on package was about 6 months from serving date. A nice yellow-orange color and a nice creamy head. Aroma was subdued but pleasant. Overall an impression I have come to expect from this sort of beer. The emptied glass had a light lacing of foam.

Firm bitterness with a rich hip flavor. If there is any complaint it is that it lacks the hop complexity of some other similar beers. Despite high alcohol content it remains smooth and not at all "hot". Malt is a simple but sufficient backdrop to the hops. This is a great one to sip on a one or two beer night.

An enjoyable if not spectacular example of style I would be happy to try this any time, especially if I could find it on tap.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A: This beer pour a slightly hazy light copper. The half a finger of long lasting, rocky, white head leaves some lacing on glass.

S: It smelled like I just opened a bag of hops when I cracked open the can; resin is a great name as the strong hops aroma is thick with piney, resinous aromas. There is a moderate citrus, mostly orange and grapefruit, fruity ester along with a light malt sweetness and caramel malt note supporting the hops. There is a hint of the alcohol in there as well.

T: The flavor follows the aroma with a bit hit of resinous and pine hop flavors layered over moderate pineapple and citrus notes. The moderately-low malt support provides a good supporting malt sweetness and light caramel flavors that allow for the high hops bitterness and flavors to shine. The balance is decidedly bitter with a dry finish and a lingering pine flavor and bitter aftertaste.

M: The is a medium-light bodied beer with a moderate carbonation. There is a very low creaminess and a touch of alcohol warmth, but on the whole dangerously smooth.

O: This beer is deserving of the title Resin and is so much better than I had anticipated. I had feared a hop bomb that was going to be the equivalent of chewing on pine needles but this is a balanced, bitter hop bomb I happy enjoy again and again.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

After my first round of OBPA at the Bridge View Tavern (17AUG12), lunch came and I went with Resin to accompany my pulled pork. Ended up having two wide-flutes of this, about 12oz each, at $7.00 per. A bit steep, but considering the location (Sleepy Hollow NY)...

Glass was filled with a medium golden brew which was a slight bit hazy and had sporadic carbo. Head was creamy and bright white, short but lasted well, and left super lacing. Mild citrus was present in the aroma, easily noticeable though not overpowering. A little prickle hit the tongue, and the body was a solid medium.

Light sweetness and a touch of toasty malt hit the palate first. Afterwards it turned to being pithy, resiny, and a bit piney, with solid citrus through and through. The grapefruit action lingered well in the finish and was quite pleasing. Very nice! Prosit!!

4.03/5 rDev +3.1%

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Bright, hazy apricot/orange color. Nice head of tightly packed, off white carbonation bubbles. Lacing is nice & the head retains

S: Loads of citrus and tropical fruits with a blend of spicy and herbal hop notes.

T: slightly spicy hops upfront that are balanced by the malty body, big citrus hop flavors. IMO, perfectly sweet- real easy to suck down, especially forgetting it's 9.1ABV (I couldnt detect any alcohol)

M: Full bodied, great mouthfeel. Wouldnt mind more carbonation, but I'm not mad at it.

O: How I like my IPA's. I love the extra body to it and balance of sweetness & hops. Will definitely keep this beer around for myself and to share.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz can poured into a snifter
A: Slightly hazy amber color with a one-finger head that quickly settles
S: Resin indeed. This certainly fits with the name- mostly pine sap/resin. Underneath that is a fair amount of brown sugar ending with pineapple.
T: Brown sugar up front, then pine, but that's followed by a bitterness that's not from the hops that doesn't leave a pleasant taste in the mouth. It goes away a bit after a few sips.
M: Between the sweetness & bitterness I can't say I'm a huge fan, though it's not out of line for the style.
O: This has a couple of nice elements, but overall the non-hop bitterness kills it for me. Excluding that it's well made and I'm wondering if something is off about this batch, though other reviews mention it as well.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange/amber with a two finger head that retained for quite a while. Spotty lacing.

Smell: Very hop forward aroma with a mixture of pine and citrus. Not much else beyond that.

Taste: Smacks the palate with hops. A bit of pepper taste and a big bitter kick as it finishes.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, sticky, average carbonation.

Overall: A bit one-dimensional, but appealing for those that like their share of hops.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Resin pours a slightly hazy orange color and is topped with ¾” of off white colored head that lasts for quite a while. Belgian lacing rings the chalice as I drink the beer it makes it easy to tell how many drinks I have had since I started this review.
Smell: A blast of grassy, pine and citrus aromas fill your nose upon the first smell. It is followed by the slightest hints of malt sweetness.
Taste: Hop bitterness is the first thing that I taste and I really can’t discern between hop flavors they just kind of melt together to make a tasty stew of bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Resin is right in the middle of the road on the body of the beer; easy drinking and yet nice feel to it that the flavors stick around tastefully. I was hoping for a little better hop profile while drinking Resin but it felt a little bit on the muddy side, it is still a very tasty beer just a bit under what I was expecting.

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recommended by former coworker at my local pacakage store.
Glad i took his word for it;

A-Dark orange slightly hazey amber

S- Not a very pungent one at least on the nose; mint and hops faintly whisper

T- Spicy, minty, pine sap, with a sweet malt with round it off but still ending with the bitter bitter resin of hop and alcohol; I love it.

MF- Heavy and slightly carbonated. The alcohol feeling lasts.

Overall a very interesting Double out of a can nonetheless a good smack in the face and ruin on the palate from one of my favorite plants the Hop. Havent had my palate this bland since Stones Ruination

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the Fat Cat in Chicago.

Appearance - Mildly Hazy Orange with minimal carbonation. Decent lacing on the sides.

Smell - Piney/Citrus Hops, Malts, Toffee, with a hint of caramel.

Taste - Malts, Piney Hops, Malts, Caramel and Toffee. Not quite as strong as I had anticipated, but pretty good nonetheless

Mouthfeel - Somewhat light and smooth with very little carbonation.

Overall - For a Double IPA, it's not what I would call "strong" but as a stand alone IPA, it's very delicious and easy to drink!

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Dark red or copper color. Clear in appearance with many ultra tiny carbonation bubbles that lead to a large two finger head that is tan colored and creamy in appearance. Head recedes fairly rapidly and leaves a huge web of lace.

Smell is on the earthy side. Grass, yeast and mild sweet malt. Some light citrus, overripe orange or blood orange and a bit of alcohol.

Taste is tongue lashing bitter citrus. Yellow grapefruit. A bit of alcohol in the taste too.

Mouth is bright. Carbonation is on the spritzy side. Finish is long and tongue coating wet.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good DIPA but not a world class one. This was my first Sixpoint brew and am pretty impressed with this one. Thanks to TIMMYJ21 for this one.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Bright, hazy golden color with an orange tinge and wisps of yeast beneath a billowy, three-finger head of tightly packed, ivory carbonation bubbles. Lacing is quite nice and head retention is solid.

S: Loads of citrusy, tropical fruits and a blend of peppery, spicy and herbal hop notes. Pineapple, orange rind, guava and lemongrass tickle the nostrils.

T: Juicy malt sweetness up front throws some white peppery into a mix of Valencia orange, pineapple and peach. The mid-palate carries some maltier caramel notes before being crushed under a wave of bitter hop resins. Bitterness ranges from musty grapefruit to sharp, acidic cattiness. Fruity malts pop up before a resinous, bittersweet finish wraps around the tongue with a warm, boozy embrace.

M: Bright and refreshing up front, the hop resins make handiwork of the sweet balance before becoming a bit hot and bitterly puckering.

O: A very bold, fruity and brash DIPA, Resin embodies all that is wonderful about high alpha-acid hops washing away the sweet palate of a big beer. The 9.1% ABV is there, but almost feels smaller beneath the soft, tropical fruitiness of the brew. Make no mistake, though, this is a big, sweet, bitter triumph of a brew.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can from Bessette's Canton NY for 3$

Appearance - Hazy copper colour with a large size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. There an average amount of carbonation and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, oranges, pineapple, caramel

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste hops and malts mixed with pineapple, apricots, and oranges. There is also a caramel sweetness and some pine/resin. It finishes with a pineapple/caramel aftertaste with a decent amount of lingering bitterness.

Overall - Definitely the best Sixpoint beer I've had so far. It has a nice amount hops and a good dose of fruitiness. Well worth trying if you happen to see it on the shelves.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz. tallboy can with a best buy date of Apr 2013 (!!!) poured into tumbler.

A: Typical DIPA. Orange with a finger thick white head. Clarity and retention expected with the style.

S: Again...average. Strong bouquet of piney and citrusy hops.

T: The pine hops are pretty prevalent here. The citrus stays in the background, along with a semi-sweet malt base. Very bitter.

M: Slick and medium bodied. The 9.1% abv is nowhere to be seen. The bitterness makes it slightly more difficult to drink at warmer temperatures.

O: A good, but not great, DIPA. It's a bit old school in it's one-dimensionaless. It has a strong bitterness without much else to back it up. If you love the strong, piney hop bite, then this DIPA is for you. Otherwise, it's interesting to try, but there's not enough drinkibility to make it a mainstay in the fridge.

Resin from Sixpoint Brewery