Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Apollo | Sixpoint Brewery

Added by Jason on 04-25-2012

1.16/5  rDev -69.6%

1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.46/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Poured a pale orange color. Smelled a lot of citrus and wheat in this beer. The taste was terrible. Tasted like orange, vinager, and moldy wheat. Could not finish this beer poured it straight down the drain. Maybe there was something wrong with the 4 pack I got, but after two sips this beer made me half sick.

1.51/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a can of this yesterday from a local bottle shop, cracked it open and immediately smelled a strong urine odor along with rotten bananas, For some reason I went on to actually taste this abomination of beer, it was like Donkey Kong went on a banana binge and the gave me a golden shower the next morning. Putrid bananas and strong dark urine is all I can think of....but I looked at the bottom of the can once I was done muscling through this beer, since I dont believe in drain pours, and it was canned in July of 2013...7 months ago, I hope thats the problem. If not, I am seriously surprised that this crap came from 6 point

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

1.96/5  rDev -48.7%

Poured into a wizened glass.

Caramel color. I expected lighter color given its kristalweizen tag. It looked murky, with almost no clarity. Its head was a big bummer. I expect a billowy frothy head from any weiss brew. This beer was as fizzy and lame as a bud light... What little head it had fizzled away and left the beer look so unappetizing. Disappointed without even taking a sip yet.

Aroma is big on banana syrup, sugary bread and a little bubble gum. It smells a bit over the top and heavy handed.

The flavor follows suit. Banana owns it. Candied malts are prominent. But Flavors fall flat and are not bright... Syrupy is all that comes to mind. Kind of a mess. They're overworked and are not inviting.

The mouthfeel is a big downfall. Almost flat, oily. Not light.

This beer was a huge let down for me. I don't understand the high scores. I tried two cans.

This is not a kristalweizen, and regardless of style, it's not a well made beer to me. There is no finesse and it all falls flat on multiple fronts. Epic fail.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.29/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance:
Slightly warm golden color, hazy (inappropriate for a Kristalweizen), medium head that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. If this is truly a Kristalweizen – it’s not crystal clear.

Smell:
Bubblegum, banana skin, paper ash, saltine and sweetness, slight lemon/grapefruit citrus, and tartness like the water in plain yogurt (lactic acid).

Taste:
Slightly tart, alluvial carbonate brightness, mushed orangey citrus character, saltine tea (if it existed), Perrier like mineral presence, acid reflux.

Mouthfeel:
Medium light, medium carbonation, finishes carbonate and powdery dry, like orange Tums.

Overall:
First I tried a few weeks ago was crisp and bright. The carbonate balance suited it. Still it far more character of a Berliner Weiße than a Kristalweizen. Yesterday I tried another and dumped it. Today I gave it another go. I know what a Kristalweizen is supposed to be, I know what a Berliner Weiße is supposed to be. This is far more the latter, but it’s not developing well at all. Maybe too much carbonates in the water conditioning. Unfortunate.

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

A friend brought me a can yesterday night. I was excited to try a new hipster beer. I split the half-liter can with another friend of mine. As I poured it in the glasses, it looked and smelled like a normal wheat beer. (A little cloudy, yellow). I thought perhaps there was not enough carbon because the foam didn't look as crisp as usual, but this may just be because I am used to getting wheat beer on draft.

The taste, however, was hideous. Overpoweringly tart and yeasty, it felt like it had been canned before the fermentation was through. (Not that I ever tried a beer that actually was canned before its time; I am just trying to describe). Neither I, nor my friend, were able to finish our beer, and it went down the sink. I don't remember ever throwing out beer before, and I am 30.

I hope it's just a bad batch of cans. Given the very high reviews here, I can't see how it could taste so disagreeable to me if I tasted the real thing.

2.42/5  rDev -36.6%

Yeah...nooo! This is not a good beer....or I got a bad can. The beer poured into a Weizen glass was cloudy gold with no carbonation. No head no anything. The smell reminded me of medicine and the tast was brutal. The mouthfeel was light with zero carbonation. Overall this a just not good.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery