Apollo | Sixpoint Brewery

Style: Kristalweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by Jason on 04-25-2012

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a dirty straw color with a big moderate bubbled head that quickly settles into a light ring leaving some of those big bubbles on the side of the glass.

The aroma is of a true bavarian hefe. Noticable banana aroma, both ripe and unripe. The unripe banana and lemon notes gives the aroma a light tart edge. Some musty clove. A bready malt scent as well.

The taste is of bananas; again both ripe and unripe. There also is some lemon and metal that gives the beer a tart twang. Substantial wheat malt presence that gives the hefe a bready base. Some brown sugar sweetness.

Good balance between sweet and tart. Perhaps a bit more tart than the average hefe. Lightly astringent in the finish, not super creamy.

A solid hefeweizen. Not sure about the Krisalweizen classification as the beer is a bit murky and brown. Most Kristalweizens that I have seen are more pale in color with a slight haze.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into hefe glass from can. Really nice burnt orange color with a slight haze. Thick sticky head. Smells amazing...wheaty clove and banana malts. Taste is of major banana and clove and wheat. Its so fresh and crisp and easy drinking. This is a fantastic brew!! Another amazing sixpoint brew!

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
The beer pours a clear orange color with a slight brownish tinge. The head is white and frothy.

Smell:
A strong scent of clove and banana yest with hints of tartness. There are also some sugar notes as well to the point where it smells bubble gummy.

Taste:
Tarty. The tart seems to overwhelm all of the other taste and the yeast is barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel:
Biting carbonation and light bodied. A little too light bodied for my taste.

Overall:
A decent and certainly unique kristalweizen. I might get one if it's on tap but I gave the rest to my roommate.

3.59/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed light orange color. Almost two fingers of foamy white head that falls quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

4.0 S: Big banana esters, clove from the yeast, bubblegum, and melon. Light grassy hoppiness. Neutral wheat. Quite nice.

3.5 T: Surprisingly tangy. The base mostly follows the nose, but the strength is reduced. Banana, clove, bubblegum, melon, grassy hops. Tangy earthiness with lemony tartness. Lightly bready with neutral wheat.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation that is appropriate to style. It's missing the creaminess that you'd get from a hefe though. Still, not bad.

3.5 D: Interesting. Didn't expect the tanginess from this. Still, it's tasty and a good summer beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

16oz can into a Duvel tulip. Enjoyed side-by-side with Weihenstephaner Kristalweissbier in a battle for style domination.

A: The orange body is way too cloudy for the style, looking much more like a Hefe- than a Kristalweizen. Above is a finger of frothy off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring. Compared to the crystal-clear body and majestic head of its German rival, this is nothing if not disappointing.

S: Powerful banana, floral spiciness, and some vanilla. Really different, and quite enjoyable. It's a bit heavier than the Weihenstephaner, but since it's a pleasant heaviness I don't really mind.

T: Opens with ripening banana, followed by a touch of spicy wheat, and closed out by ridiculously intense, pure banana. This seriously tastes like it was brewed with real bananas, especially on the aftertaste. I love it, but it's definitely a bit of a one-trick pony.

M: Medium-bodied with creamy carbonation. A bit sticky, but still great.

O: The bad appearance really turned me off to this one at first, and I'm a bit disappointed in its complete and utter lack of anything resembling complexity (especially compared to the remarkably complex, layered offering from Weihenstephan), but it's still a really tasty beer. I don't know that I'd want to drink more than one, given its heavy, insistent fruitiness, but it's a pleasure all the same.

Cheers!

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can a deep clear gold with two fingers of frothy off-white head. A good amount of sticky lacing left behind.

Very sweet aroma of banana, geen apple, tropical fruit, cloves, and grainy malts.

The taste was tart with fresh-squeezed lemon upfront. Light amounts of wheat and green apple followed. The tartness lingered through the finish.

Medium bodied and quite dry with a moderate carbonation.

I liked the combination of tartness and wheat. Very interesting, for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Very good!!! I was expecting the usual slightly watery, lemon zest-heavy beer. This one is true to style, featuring yeast and richness.

Pours a slightly hazy straw gold color into my Bud Select Pilsner glass. Big frothy head with good retention, scattered bits of lacing.

Smell of yeast and lemon zest, very pleasant...reminiscent of better hefeweizens.

Taste is top shelf, Belgian yeast, lemon zest, and a more subdued cloves and bubble gum thing going on. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is rich and tart. Very nice and very refreshing. I could pound a bunch of these.

This one is a lot closer to German hefes/Kristalweizens than the standard American versions. Good flavors, right complexity...very good!!!

2.51/5  rDev -34.3%

16oz can poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden/burnt orange; nice fluffy white head which eventually fades, lots of legs, decent lacing and retention; looks nice. The aromas are subtle. They're nice, but not too aggresive. But this isn't an aggressive style. There's alot of funky yeast along with your typical banana and bubblegum. The flavors are interesting. Wow, this is TART! Very sweet, almost sour! I can't get past the sweetness, it diminishes everything else going on. It has alot of Hefe characteristics. I'm picking up alot of green apple and pear. There's obviously no bitterness. This reminds me ALOT of a Berliner Weissbier, which I wasn't expecting, but hey they're both German. The flavors are also very one-note, which hurts the more I drink it. Mouthfeel is nice, light, and it has the right amount of carbonation. This is a nice wheat beer to enjoy on a hot day, it's just not one I'd like to drink alot of. It's easy to drink due to low abv, but the sourness takes a toll.

I didn't find this beer too enjoyable. I guess I'm the minority because people seem to really enjoy this one.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

4.05/5  rDev +6%

16 oz. can.

Chill hazed tawny orange body. Pinkie finger of moderately dense, light beige head. Some lacing. Nose is loaded with clove, bubble gum, and banana. Borderline almond extract and sugar cookie dough as well. Good thing I like all of those things.

Lightly doughy, bready up front. Banana and clove fill in. Banana bread notes. Becomes slightly tangy with an almost tart, dry, bitterish edge. Clove and lemon peel mingle in the finish. Lingering banana and banana aftertaste. Medium body with a slightly creamy, yet somewhat lively, refreshing feel. A very nice sidekick for battling the summer heat.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks shutyourface for this extra!

A. Pours an orange gold with just a wisp of crisp white head. Head is somewhat disappointing and doesn't have great retention. Lacing is decent.

S. Clove, banana, apple, and freshly cracked pepper. Bit of toasted bread crust.

T. Pear, banana, apple, clove, but a slightly astringent, metallic finish.

M. Crisp, light-moderate body.

O. This is my first foray into this style and I feel like it's a slightly more concentrated, one-note hefe. There is a sharp pucker on the back end of this, an almost plastic quality that I think is the phenols that are supposed to be more subdued in this style. It's not bad by any stretch, in fact, I think this is a good beer. But I can't comment on how it measures up to the best in style and I can readily say I prefer Hefeweizens to this if this is the standard profile.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery