Apollo | Sixpoint Brewery

Style: Kristalweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by Jason on 04-25-2012

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a lightly hazy, bright golden yellow color with 3/4 of an inch of white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

A pleasant clove aroma greeted the nose, under that was a nice base of wheat and grain, and a nice bit of yeast spice in the background. On the tongue, the aspects started out the same, with everything being a bit better defined, and also had a bit of a bubblegum. There was a bit of tartness on the finish that I wasn't expecting and was a nice touch.

The body was very nice, crisp and light, with the flavors lingering just a bit, but not enough to be annoying. Drinkability was very good, the 16oz can was gone too soon. Overall, a very nice brew. I generally tend to prefer Hefe's over Kristallweizens, but this is among my favorite examples. You should try this if you can.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured into a weizen glass, murky burnt muddy orange color with a flash head and no real lacing. Very nice tart "lemoney fresh" aroma and flavor over a smooth and richly textured medium-heavy wheaty malt body. Puckery almost Berliner-Weiss character overall. In fact, if I were to blind taste this I would have categorized it as a Berliner Weiss...and that is the only reason why I didn't rate it any higher than I did...because the beer seems to be marketed as a standard weiss and it came across as somewhat misleading in that regard despite being delicious.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with a little off white head.
S: It smelled like strong lemon with grassy hops and unripe apricot, and a little fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like lemon and unripe apricot, with a little grassy hops and candi sugar. It had a clean and bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This wasn't bad, but I wasn't a huge fan of the scent or taste. The body was alright, and the finish was smooth, so it was easy to drink. Not worth trying more than once.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery