Apollo | Sixpoint Brewery

Availability: Summer

Added by Jason on 04-25-2012

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 fl oz. can, with best before date of sometime in July 2013 smeared on the bottom of the can. My friend gave me a can of this stuff so I could review it on here. My fourth beer from Sixpoint, and my first encounter with a kristalweizen style beer so I don't really know what to expect.

Poured into a Shock Top weizen glass, based on the BeerAdvocate recommendation.

A - Pours about three fingers of foamy off-white head that fizzles down to about a finger. Body color is an amber orange, almost similar to a pale ale, but with tons of bubbles streaming up the sides of the glass. Looks pretty nice.

S - Bananas, carbonation, bubblegum malts, cloves, vinegar, maybe a hint of lemons, and some earth. Not ideally how I like my beer to smell, but I suppose it suits the style.

T - Taste follows the nose, but with a bit of vinegar tartness somewhere near the middle. Creamy bananas, lots of clove, and a bit of grainy wheat. I am actually really enjoying it, except the cloves are a bit overpowering.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and refreshing. Bit of vinegar tartness, and some spicy cloves lingering on the palate. Very light, easy drinking.

Overall, an interesting beer, definitely a bit different than what I expected. I personally think this would be a better beer without the cloves, or at least with them toned down a bit. Either way, flavorful and sessionable, especially for those more inclined toward German / Belgian style beers, I'd say. Not exactly my favorite, but it has me interested to try more kristalweizens.

Sixpoint Apollo ---3.5/5

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Apollo
Sixpoint
20130625
16 oz can to Duvel glass
Wheat
5.2% ABV

A – A uniformly cloudy (and very thick) light amber. Somewhat translucent. Poured quite vigorously, but the head subsided very quickly, leaving just a whisp of it on top.

S – Wheat, berries, and smoke. Almost like a maple smokey smell. I can pick out strawberry and blueberry. There is no citrus or bubblegum right now. The maple-smoke is covering up a twang of something, as well as the other smells/flavors in general.

T – Smoke, berries, and smoke. Actually tastes OK, surprisingly. I continued to sip on it, and eventually the berry smell turned into a blueberry/strawberry yogurt smell.

M – Light body on the tip of the tongue, becomes medium bodied as you swallow. Soft (but not silky), and not dry at all. I can feel the mouthfeel transition clearly, and a lingering wet-feeling on the tongue when I swallow.

D - I'm getting a maple-smoke smell and flavor, book-ending mainly a blueberry yogurt taste. Also, the color is darker than advertised. Possible off batch? Nonetheless, I'm finding it OK to drink (smoke in a kristalweizen, wha? Surprise.)
3.25, 2.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3; 3.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

3.86/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, trxxpaxxs

Hazed golden. Nice, creamy, near-white head. Not a lot of retention and leaves the glass fairly clean.

Mild banana and bubblegum in the aroma, some wheat.

Flavor follows the aroma with a nice wheat finish. Just a touch of tartness.

Near-medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation.

Incredibly drinkable.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a 16 oz. can into a weisen glass. Nice head at first but it quickly dissipated. Not a traditional thick frothy wheatbeer head, more like a budwieser. The taste was not too bad once I added fruit. If you dont like fruit in your beer then pass on this. It is pretty undrinkable on its own. I would but it again only if it was on sale for 20 bucks per case, which is why I tried it in the first place.

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - Poured a brownish straw color, not very appealing really. Initially the beer formed a big, bubbly head, but it dissipated almost immediately, and there was virtually no carbonation to keep it going. No lacing at all. Not a lot here to be impressed with.

S - Caught a decent whiff of the flavors that I was expecting, mostly clove with some banana and a shade of earthiness.

T - Follows the nose. The clove dominates, but not terribly so. These are definitely nice flavors.

M - I would be more favorable towards the flavors if the beer was pleasant to drink. There was no carbonation whatsoever and the beer left me with almost an oily feeling. I haven't rated many (any?) beers this low in mouthfeel before and I don't like doing it, but this just felt slippery in my mouth.

O - I was severely disappointed in this beer. I liked the flavor well enough, but every other element in the beer took away from what I hoped would be a nice experience. I can't recommend this one.

Note: Discovered the following morning that the beer was two weeks past its best-by date.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange with a off white head.

Smells fruity and wheaty

Tastes cloves and banana with some tartness. Theres also some citrus in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall-This is one of the first craft beers that I had out of a can and it gave me the confidence to try others. Great fruity summer drinking beer.

Apollo from Sixpoint Brewery