3Beans | Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery
New York, United States
sixpoint.com

Style: Baltic Porter

A Sixpoint & Friends jam session one-off. Made with Mast Brothers Chocolate cacao husks and infused with fresh Stumptown Coffee Roasters cold brew, and then aged on oak.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013

Ratings: 1,211 |  Reviews: 250
3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Aggressive pour from the can.

Nice deep black with 2 fingers of wet sand colored head, which fades over a minute or two with some residue.

Nose is pretty subdued, largely with flavors of toffee and caramel.

Taste is predominantly milk chocolate with some rich, toffee maltiness. Finishes with light coffee roastiness. Don't really notice the ABV at all.

Mouth feel is decent, nice body with a lingering tingle of coffee and chocolate.

It's pretty decent overall, just not incredible. I'm not really sure what to call it. BA labels it as a Baltic porter, which is probably close, but not quite right. I've see it also called an imperial stout (not even close) or a generic coffee stout (lacks some of the coffee punch for me). So it is a solid, drinkable, enjoyable beer with some good but not overly potent flavors. Would love to try it on tap some day to see if I feel differently. Interestingly, I often feel this way about Sixpoint's cans, that they lack the flavor punch that I am hoping them to have. Except for Resin.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.37/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to maximum12 for this extra!

12 fl oz slim can served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a lumpy, rocky khaki head of three fingers. Color is a dark, brown/amber color. Retention's decent given the high ABV. I'm looking forward to it.

S - Unrefined cacao is prominent. Burnt caramel, toffee, and fig lend a noticeable sweetness. The coffee is surprisingly subdued, but present. Faint alcohol. Moderate strength.

T - Freshly ground Italian roast coffee opens, countered by semisweet chocolate and dark fruit notes. Boozy on the finish, to its detriment. The bitter, roasty notes and alcohol presence upset the balance noticeably. A little restrained still. I'd like to see it even more coffee forward.

M - Medium bodied and a little thin.

D - A good porter. Definitely a sipper. I appreciate the smaller format I wish I'd see in more high ABV beers. I'd try it again, preferably on draught.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12oz. skinny can into a Founders snifter

A: Aggressive pour yields about 2 fingers of tan colored head.

S: Strong smell of alcohol followed by coffee with just a hint of chocolate.

T: Coffee laced with hints of chocolate. Alcohol is very prevalent...perhaps this would smooth out with some age.

M: Overly carbonated and thinner than I had hoped for.

O: Not a bad beer, just not quite what I was hoping for. I'm probably gonna hold on to the rest of the 4-pack for a while hoping that some age will mellow out the alcohol flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz can into a Russian River Tulip

A- Pitch black with a 3 finger dark cream head. Dissipated to a small ring in less than a minute.

S- Dark and toasty malt notes with a little bit of chocolate. Did not get much coffee at first, but as it warms you find it.

T- Good dark malt flavor. Alot of roasted flavors jump right at you. Actually has a little hoppy bit to it but its masked by the chocolate and coffee. The taste I am thinking is chocolate might be something else, but it tastes alot like artificial chocolate powder that is a little bitter sweet. Might actually be just the coffee showing up differently for me.

M- Big and full. Fitting for the style and much what I expected.

O- I've had a couple of these and while I think it is a personal thing I am thrown off by what I feeling is a bittersweet chocolate taste in this beer. Something intrigues me though, as I keep coming back to try and figure it out. Always enjoy what I get from Sixpoint and will probably end up buying 4 more of these at some point.

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter

A: Dark brown with a half finger head that dissipates. Frothy lacing.

S: Coffee strong. I'm awake now.

T: Heavy coffee with light hops and chocolate undertones. A great breakfast/brunch drink.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: For coffee beer fans, this one is a standout. Stout, robust and "wake up" yummy.

4.33/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this on draft at Aunt Chilada's in Hamden, CT. Served in a snifter because of the high ABV. Appropriately named because you can actually taste all three beans. Very strong. Very tasty.

This was my first time finally trying a Six Point brew. Can't wait to try more varieties.

3Beans from Sixpoint Brewery