Hopknocker Imperial IPA | Schmohz Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 93
Reviews by Lauthaha:
3.41/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an average beer mug at around 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: I'm a little nervous to try this one...no head whatsoever suggesting a lack of carbonation. Thick dark brown (read: murky) color dotted with what looks like chips of white paint. Maybe it's just the batch, or maybe it's just the sediment left over from brewing, but this beer is by far the worst-looking beer I've had this year.

(amendment: read some other reviews and realized that it was my mistake to pour the sediment into my glass...whoops! LoL...I raised the score from a 1 to a 2.5)

Smell: Thankfully MUCH better than the appearance. Robust flavor permeates the air; coffee and/or toffee, gentle hoppiness (for an Imperial IPA), and an enchanting sweetness that is at present unidentifiable. Also, in spite of the high ABV, there is very little in the way of "alcohol" when it comes to scent. This is perhaps the beer's redeeming quality.

Taste: Very good; very good. Boldness and strength are supplemented equally by bitter and sweet sensations. The finish is anything but ambivalent, however; it is, in fact, almost too sweet. Were the aftertaste a bit less wild, I might give the taste a five. As it is, it's still better than average. Just what I expect from an Imperial IPA.

Mouthfeel: Better carbonation than it had appeared, but aside from that, it's perfectly average. Goes down without a struggle, feels much lighter than it looks.

Drinkability: It's a very tasty beer, but the high ABV combined with the over-sugary aftertaste make it more of a dessert beer or a sipper. Definitely wouldn't make it a daily choice, but I would still recommend it to a friend.

This particular bottle seemed like perhaps something was wrong with it. The look was ALL wrong; luckily, the taste and smell of the beer saved it from being absolutely terrible. Definitely worth the two dollars I paid for the 12-ounce, but not much more. Try it if you like DIPAS or Triples.

2.46/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours from the bottle a deep dark reddish brown with a small head that quickly fades and some visible floaties in the glass. Probably the darkest double IPA I have ever seen myself. Aromas start off with some caramel malts and a bit of a fruity undertone but there is where it pretty much ends. Not very appealing at all with no hop profile going on and what reminds me of a dirty water smell. Not sure I want to proceed further.

First sip brings caramel and biscuit malts upfront that leads into a fruity flavor profile. Hints of diacetyl meander through as it flows down with a kick of hop bitterness (that's where they were hiding) along with some pine and herbal afterthoughts. More on the malty side than hoppy though really. Not really enjoying this one, kind of a mess of a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good creaminess. It's not overly heavy and pretty much on point for the style overall. Still, I just didn't enjoy this beer overall as it didn't live up to the style. I wouldn't seek this one out again but I'd like to try some of the breweries other offerings.

3.57/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A strongly red ale malty characteristic to a secondary hoppy ale. Drinkable, but not what you would expect from a DIPA. Caramel. Fresh from Champane's. Drinkable on some nights, not for me tonight. Middling mouthfeel, off-white coloured body. I would drink this if I couldn't find a beer during a natural disaster.

3.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label depicts, as do most of these guys' labels, a buxom girl holding beer. No freshness dating.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of medium tan head. This settles to a thin layer of foam, leaving behind decent lacing. The beer itself is the color of tarnished copper and slightly cloudy. Solid layer of compact sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Slightly sweet caramel malt with hints of tart cherries and distinct high ABV sweetness in the finish.

Taste: Spicy hops upfront, followed by an orange citrus tartness. Some malt upon which these flavors are layered, but not much depth. Very little bitterness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Average to average plus carbonation. Body is just okay, a little on the thin side.

Drinkability: Spicy and hoppy, yet not to the level I typical associate with a DIPA. Also lacking sufficient malt to balance it out. All in all, everything seems dialed back a bit and significantly out of balance. Not bad, but won't be seeking this out again.

2.77/5  rDev -7.4%

Visually, it's not impressive at all. It's a toffee colored murky brown with minimal tan head. It looks nothing close to an IPA.

Smell is earthy and pine hops, but they're overshadowed by a brown sugar sweetness. It has a musty scent to it.

Blah. Earth (dirt) and musty flavor with a punch of rubbing alcohol. Light touch of brown sugar is the only forgiving quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation was alright by me.

I feel like overall this beer isn't is bad as I've scored it, but it's nothing more than average.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

2.75/5  rDev -8%

2.38/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and murky. Almost no head. Very much unlike any other DIPA I've ever had.

Smell: Very sweet and sour. Like some sort of sour fruity candy. Unusual.

Taste: Biscuity malt in the background. Sour hop weirdness upfront. Gets some mint flavors once it has a chance to warm. This is one mess of a hoppy beer. Perhaps American Strong Ale would have been a more appropriate label.

I hate to rank craft beer so lowly but this one has deserved it.

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Drank this at the brewery. Served in a Schmohz Brewery pint glass.

A: cloudy chestnut brown, orange around the edges. Light tan head that disappeared fast.

S: caramel with slight fruits, slight hops, slight spices and nuts. Key word is slight, not a lot to the aroma.

T: spicy, caramel, dates, prunes, pine

M: easy to drink. Alcohol is not completely hidden in this one. Tingle on the tongue.

O: I will drink it to support the small Michigan Brewery. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a IIPA, just an above average strong ale.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

This is my first bottle from Schmohz, a brewery that has, shall we say, never been on our bar-hopping tour in Grand Rapids. 12 oz bottle, no date, 9.5%, can't believe how dark this looks in the bottle. It also sports one of the worst labels I've ever seen: cheap, faded colors, and an ominously flat-chested south German serving woman who looks anything but confident in the beer I'm about to drink.

I was going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and really try to write a full review, but I can't bring myself to waste my time. A few observations will have to do. It's super dark (like Quad dark), it has some kind of candied (or bad) yeast, so it drinks more like a Belgian dark ale than anything else, there are no hops I can detect, and I literally don't believe that it clocks in at just under 10%. Like, seriously, I call bullshit.

If this beer had been advertised for what it was, a 6% ABV Belgian dark ale, I think its scores would be substantially higher. But the false advertising or extremely poor craftsmanship obviously pissed off the BA community (myself included).

Avoid.

2.75/5  rDev -8%

3.1/5  rDev +3.7%

1.58/5  rDev -47.2%

Honestly, this was one beer I hated. Perhaps it wasn't as fresh as would be preferred, but this is one of the only time's I've ever drain poured a beer that wasn't BMC swill.

The beer started off on an okay note. It poured a nice murky brown color, formed a decent head, and had some piney and citrus aromas going. However, when the foul wretch hits the mouth, all I could taste was alcohol. The beer was quite literally an over malted mess with so much alcohol heat that neither of us could stand more than a few sips. Perhaps if someone handed me a fresh bottle for free I could be coerced into retrying it, but neither me nor my friend enjoyed it at all.

For a much better Michigan double IPA, check out Kuhnhenn DRIPA, Greenbush Brother Benjamin, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.

Hopknocker Imperial IPA from Schmohz Brewing Company