Hopknocker Imperial IPA | Schmohz Brewing Company

schmohz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

I use this website constantly in my IPA tasting crusade and usually agree more or less with what I read here. Which is why I use it. With the exception of sometimes inflated scores for high alcohol content this site has never steered me wrong. Which is why I felt obligated to sign up and review this product. For if my phone was working in the grocery store I never would have bought it.

This beer was dirty, smelled good, tasted great and felt a bit watered down which was a good thing because every bit of the 9% ABV was firmly in place. My drinking partner and I found ourselves singing "let's get this party started right...lets get this party started quickly". Which says a lot cause I'm an old fart who doesn't even like rap hop music.

Sure I tried their regular IPA last summer and it was the worst in my mixed 6 pack. I felt like a sucker for the pretty "face" on the label. This blonde cutie however lived up to her good looks.

Standing tall in a six pack containing IPA's from some of Michigan's finest breweries. And that was before adjusting for price level. This was 1.79 versus 4.79 for the Double Crooked! No it didn't taste better. But I didn't overdraft my bank account either.

3.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured into a pint glass. A dark translucent amber color. Darker than expected but appealing. Smell was typical of IIPA's I have had before but this had more of a hop aroma than earlier. A deep carmel with hints of citrus but not overpowered by the hops. The 9.5% abv is not glaring. A more robust feel that was quite delightful. A bit hoppier than earlier Hopknocker's I have tried. Worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured to a nice inch and a half head. Head was a little brownish in color. Also had some big bubbles in the head. Left some very nice lacing with every swallow. Brew itself was brownish in color, with a slight red tint. Had that hoppy pine smell. Also a slight sweet smell. Also I thought strange, it had a slight chocolate aroma. Tasted very good. Then again, a little chocolate, hops, and malt. Also hints of fruit or maybe apple. Again I thought the flavor was very good. Felt good in the mouth. I thought carbonation was about right. I think overall this brew was very good. With the higher alcohol content you couldnt make this a session beer. But you could certainly enjoy drinking a few and enjoying the flavor. I would buy and enjoy again.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

3.66/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev +20.1%

Color is dark brown

Mouthfeel is thick and little carbonation (I prefer less)

Taste reminds me of a Tripel I had recently, but not as strong
Not what I expected from a DIPA. Something is overpowering the hops. Perhaps too much sweet and I detect a leather smell.

Strong Alcohol that doesn't show. Sneaks up on you.

Won't have more than one as it's very filling.

Good to Average beer. Won't buy another, but won't refuse a cold one from a friend.

3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Drank this at the brewery. Served in a Schmohz Brewery pint glass.

A: cloudy chestnut brown, orange around the edges. Light tan head that disappeared fast.

S: caramel with slight fruits, slight hops, slight spices and nuts. Key word is slight, not a lot to the aroma.

T: spicy, caramel, dates, prunes, pine

M: easy to drink. Alcohol is not completely hidden in this one. Tingle on the tongue.

O: I will drink it to support the small Michigan Brewery. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a IIPA, just an above average strong ale.

3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to Rouse for this one!

A murky copper body with a dense little head of tan foam that leaves plenty of lacing.

A very barleywine like smell. Caramel and toffee malt with a touch of burnt sugar. Hops are there, although a bit light.

A huge hop punch in the mouth up front. A very pungent and dank hop presence that blends with a bit of astringent alcohol. Solid barleywine like malty backbone. Fruit notes come in as it warms. Not bad, but a little messy.

Full bodied with a touch of prickly carbonation and a sticky finish.

It's not a bad overall beer by any means, but could use some refining. If thought of as a barleywine, this fits the bill.

3.57/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hopknocker Imperial IPA from Schmohz Brewing Company