Hopknocker Imperial IPA | Schmohz Brewing Company

schmohz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

3.48/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.04/5  rDev +1.3%

3.14/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I use this website constantly in my IPA tasting crusade and usually agree more or less with what I read here. Which is why I use it. With the exception of sometimes inflated scores for high alcohol content this site has never steered me wrong. Which is why I felt obligated to sign up and review this product. For if my phone was working in the grocery store I never would have bought it.

This beer was dirty, smelled good, tasted great and felt a bit watered down which was a good thing because every bit of the 9% ABV was firmly in place. My drinking partner and I found ourselves singing "let's get this party started right...lets get this party started quickly". Which says a lot cause I'm an old fart who doesn't even like rap hop music.

Sure I tried their regular IPA last summer and it was the worst in my mixed 6 pack. I felt like a sucker for the pretty "face" on the label. This blonde cutie however lived up to her good looks.

Standing tall in a six pack containing IPA's from some of Michigan's finest breweries. And that was before adjusting for price level. This was 1.79 versus 4.79 for the Double Crooked! No it didn't taste better. But I didn't overdraft my bank account either.

2.24/5  rDev -25.3%

When I first smelled and tasted it, I thought the bartender poured the wrong beer since I asked for a IPA. I honestly thought she gave me their Oktoberfest. This beer resembles nothing of an imperial IPA that was told to me the by bartender who bragged of its "extreme happiness". I tasted very little hops and more dark malt backbone. Good to try. Wouldn't get again

3.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.66/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

2.25/5  rDev -25%

3.75/5  rDev +25%

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3/5  rDev 0%

This is my first bottle from Schmohz, a brewery that has, shall we say, never been on our bar-hopping tour in Grand Rapids. 12 oz bottle, no date, 9.5%, can't believe how dark this looks in the bottle. It also sports one of the worst labels I've ever seen: cheap, faded colors, and an ominously flat-chested south German serving woman who looks anything but confident in the beer I'm about to drink.

I was going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and really try to write a full review, but I can't bring myself to waste my time. A few observations will have to do. It's super dark (like Quad dark), it has some kind of candied (or bad) yeast, so it drinks more like a Belgian dark ale than anything else, there are no hops I can detect, and I literally don't believe that it clocks in at just under 10%. Like, seriously, I call bullshit.

If this beer had been advertised for what it was, a 6% ABV Belgian dark ale, I think its scores would be substantially higher. But the false advertising or extremely poor craftsmanship obviously pissed off the BA community (myself included).

Avoid.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

2.57/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Too dark in appearance for my liking for an imperial IPA. Along with the heavy color was a heavy taste. An almost chocolaty taste, similar to a stout, which just doesn't belong . . . If you are an imperial IPA fan, this beer is worth a try, just don't buy a whole 6-pack ... and don't have high expectations on this one . . .

Hopknocker Imperial IPA from Schmohz Brewing Company