Hopknocker Imperial IPA | Schmohz Brewing Company

schmohz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

1.46/5  rDev -51.3%

Went to a little hole in the wall local bar the other morning. Seen they had some beer other than the typical budmillercoors. Seen an IPA a IIPA. I thought great!!! ordered the IPA fisrt, then the double.

Poured dark and a bit thick with little head or lacing
smelled very little hops, more grainny malt, much like a scotch ale.

If I didnt know this was supposed top be a IIPA I would have thought it was a bad scotch ale with a little bit more hops than usual.

Very dissapointed in the brew. not reccomended. Too bad though because its made here in Grand Rapids.
I will say this however, I am glad the little hole in the wall bar is at least trying to get some better brew in. It is better than BUd LOL

1.58/5  rDev -47.3%

Honestly, this was one beer I hated. Perhaps it wasn't as fresh as would be preferred, but this is one of the only time's I've ever drain poured a beer that wasn't BMC swill.

The beer started off on an okay note. It poured a nice murky brown color, formed a decent head, and had some piney and citrus aromas going. However, when the foul wretch hits the mouth, all I could taste was alcohol. The beer was quite literally an over malted mess with so much alcohol heat that neither of us could stand more than a few sips. Perhaps if someone handed me a fresh bottle for free I could be coerced into retrying it, but neither me nor my friend enjoyed it at all.

For a much better Michigan double IPA, check out Kuhnhenn DRIPA, Greenbush Brother Benjamin, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.

1.92/5  rDev -36%

Appeared a dark amber with a white head. Smelled like pear or apple juice with a bit of hop. Mouth feel was medium bodied and the taste was not per usual IPA. It tasted juicy with a small hop finish. Too much alcohol in the flavor. This did not seem like an IPA at all to me.

$7.99 for a mixed 6'er, I think. Listed on the bottle as an Imperial DIPA, at 9.5% ABV. Pours out to a very dark brown, forming a dark yellow head with average retention and sparse lacing. The carbonation is mild to moderate. This is the darkest DIPA I've ever seen. The aroma is of crystal malt with caramel, a faint hoppiness, cola, and maybe sour milk and kiwi fruit when swirled. The mouthfeel is tart and syrupy. The taste starts sour like citric acid, then into a sour candy sweetness and cola, followed by a mild metallic bitterness, and an aftertaste of leather and chemicals.

I agree with the other reviewers here. This tastes like a really bad homebrew barleywine attempt. It's nowhere close to being a DIPA. Schmohz has a ton of work ahead of them. Out of this mixed six pack, I haven't had one good beer. Yuck.

2.12/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into a globe glass-

Oh my god, are we sure this is a DIPA? It pours a dark copper with red highlights and a couple fingers of head. Not really the look I'm used to. The nose is mainly sweet malt with a hint of hops. It smells like a strong ale not a DIPA. The taste is all about the dark fruits, I'm thinking rum cake while sipping here. I think what we have here is a drain pour gentlemen.

2.21/5  rDev -26.3%

Extremely murky caramel brown with blurry tangerine highlights. This has to be the darkest DIPA in the history of DIPAs. The head is golden brown sugar in color and looks to be firmy creamy in texture. An attractive king's crown of lace is beginning to be laid down now that some amount of deflation has occurred.

The nose is almost 100% caramel malt and is barleywine-like more than DIPA-like. A whiff of citrus fruity hoppiness is barely perceptible, but that's only if my nose risks getting wet. 136 IBUs seems to be a ridiculous claim given what the beer smells like. On the other hand, bitterness and hop aroma/flavor aren't necessarily synonymous.

Hopknocker Imperial India Pale Ale is not a good effort. Not even close. If blinded, I would have guessed boozy, too thin, caramel-malted English barleywine... from a brewery that has a lot to learn about craftsmanship. Other than a bracing bitterness, there isn't much about this beer that says American DIPA.

Flavors include watery caramel, tart grapefruit juice, wood resin and a few shots of grain alcohol. After every small sip, I find myself grabbing the mouse and clicking the last three scores down another half-notch. Looks like the final resting place has been reached. The gravestone should read 'not yet gone, but soon to be forgotten'.

This may be the thinnest DIPA that I've ever consumed. Did they add any malt at all? Not only that, but there aren't many bubbles, despite a healthy 'pffft' on crown cracking.

Hopknocker IIPA is not good beer no matter how you slice it. Bonecrusher Stout was lousy as well. If Schmohz hopes to compete in one of the most outstanding craft beer states in the nation, they need to step up their game in a major way. Trouble is, they have a long way to go to be considered average.

2.24/5  rDev -25.3%

When I first smelled and tasted it, I thought the bartender poured the wrong beer since I asked for a IPA. I honestly thought she gave me their Oktoberfest. This beer resembles nothing of an imperial IPA that was told to me the by bartender who bragged of its "extreme happiness". I tasted very little hops and more dark malt backbone. Good to try. Wouldn't get again

2.25/5  rDev -25%

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and murky. Almost no head. Very much unlike any other DIPA I've ever had.

Smell: Very sweet and sour. Like some sort of sour fruity candy. Unusual.

Taste: Biscuity malt in the background. Sour hop weirdness upfront. Gets some mint flavors once it has a chance to warm. This is one mess of a hoppy beer. Perhaps American Strong Ale would have been a more appropriate label.

I hate to rank craft beer so lowly but this one has deserved it.

2.46/5  rDev -18%

Pours from the bottle a deep dark reddish brown with a small head that quickly fades and some visible floaties in the glass. Probably the darkest double IPA I have ever seen myself. Aromas start off with some caramel malts and a bit of a fruity undertone but there is where it pretty much ends. Not very appealing at all with no hop profile going on and what reminds me of a dirty water smell. Not sure I want to proceed further.

First sip brings caramel and biscuit malts upfront that leads into a fruity flavor profile. Hints of diacetyl meander through as it flows down with a kick of hop bitterness (that's where they were hiding) along with some pine and herbal afterthoughts. More on the malty side than hoppy though really. Not really enjoying this one, kind of a mess of a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good creaminess. It's not overly heavy and pretty much on point for the style overall. Still, I just didn't enjoy this beer overall as it didn't live up to the style. I wouldn't seek this one out again but I'd like to try some of the breweries other offerings.

2.57/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Too dark in appearance for my liking for an imperial IPA. Along with the heavy color was a heavy taste. An almost chocolaty taste, similar to a stout, which just doesn't belong . . . If you are an imperial IPA fan, this beer is worth a try, just don't buy a whole 6-pack ... and don't have high expectations on this one . . .

2.77/5  rDev -7.7%

Visually, it's not impressive at all. It's a toffee colored murky brown with minimal tan head. It looks nothing close to an IPA.

Smell is earthy and pine hops, but they're overshadowed by a brown sugar sweetness. It has a musty scent to it.

Blah. Earth (dirt) and musty flavor with a punch of rubbing alcohol. Light touch of brown sugar is the only forgiving quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation was alright by me.

I feel like overall this beer isn't is bad as I've scored it, but it's nothing more than average.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

I sampled this at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Golden-bronze, clear, very little head.

S: A little pine, citrus & caramel.

T: Citrus hops, a little grass and pine. More of a lack-luster American pale malt flavour (than quality continental malt). Not enough bitterness.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, but not enticing. I'd find it more sessionable with some more bitterness.

2.81/5  rDev -6.3%

a - BROWN. thick, opaque brown. this took me by surprise, i have never come across a brown dipa/imperial ipa and i have had ALOT of them. wispy tan lacing.

s - smells like watered down leather and not much else.

t- about what it smells. theres a litte brown sugar sweetness, very light piney hops, alot of straw flavor. very flavorless. quite disappointing. the alcohol is not detectable at all in the taste.
there is absolutely no aftertaste or flavor to savor.

m - decent. slick with light carbonation, slight alcohol tingle that fades quickly.

o- disappointed. dipa/imperial ipa are my favorite beer styles. this has no characteristics associated with either. its bland and boring. wont be buying this one again.

2.84/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

bottle into snifter

appearance: dark amber brown, 1 finger white head

smell: caramel, lots of malt, not really any hop presence

taste: Tastes more like a strong brown ale or a barleywine, alcohol is apparent, hardly any hop bitterness, i'm not sure why this is a "DIPA".

mouthfeel: not very carbonated, thick and syrupy

overall: HOnestly, I wouldn't buy this again. Not very good for a DIPA, maybe if they labeled it something else it would be rated higher but I expect some sort of hop presence in a DIPA, and this has none. It tastes, smells, and looks like a high abv brown ale.

Hopknocker Imperial IPA from Schmohz Brewing Company