Hopknocker Imperial IPA | Schmohz Brewing Company

User Reviews & Ratings
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 98
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Big surprise.
With that label, I'm thinking these guys aren't thinking about brewing. With the designation of an AIIPA, I'm thinking these guys are home brewers who haven't quite done their homework in home-brew school.
But I get a lesson I learn too often: don't judge a book or a beer by its cover.

Looks a totally surprise. Its dark malts are a welcome change.
Smells are not the rip-snorting hops I expected; rather I get a deeply malted, fruity brew like an American barleywine.
Tastes are the same. I'm still looking for the hop assault and it does not come. Balanced; unlike most AIIPAs.
Finishes dry with the fruit and bitter playing nice. Again, balanced.

My first from Schmohz, so I went on their website. I was a bit surprised that they are a teenaged brewery. (I thought they were startups.) But they are old enough to keep it all going. Two breweries and content with distribution limited mostly to Michigan.

3.42/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Murky ruby hue.

Tan head; minimal lace.

Caramel, barleywine-style nose.

Thick mouthfeel.

Smooth caramel & strong booze. Not much hops; this tastes like a US Barleywine but isn't bad.

3.78/5  rDev +20.8%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours murky dark reddish orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense and fluffy light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of tangerine, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, light pepper/pine, caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/fruity/earthy hops and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of big tangerine, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, light pepper, pine, caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of tangerine, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, apricot, mango, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, pine, caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/fruity/earthy hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance; and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/grainy, fairly sticky, and lightly resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Minimal warming alcohol for 9.5%. Overall this is a very good DIPA. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/fruity/earthy hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink for the ABV, with the mellowly bitter/drying finish. Nicely juicy and light dank hop complexity; nice dark/bready malt backbone, not overly sweet/heavy for the ABV. Adequate lingering dryness and well attenuated. Likely classic C's and Amarillo hops. A very enjoyable offering.

I use this website constantly in my IPA tasting crusade and usually agree more or less with what I read here. Which is why I use it. With the exception of sometimes inflated scores for high alcohol content this site has never steered me wrong. Which is why I felt obligated to sign up and review this product. For if my phone was working in the grocery store I never would have bought it.

This beer was dirty, smelled good, tasted great and felt a bit watered down which was a good thing because every bit of the 9% ABV was firmly in place. My drinking partner and I found ourselves singing "let's get this party started right...lets get this party started quickly". Which says a lot cause I'm an old fart who doesn't even like rap hop music.

Sure I tried their regular IPA last summer and it was the worst in my mixed 6 pack. I felt like a sucker for the pretty "face" on the label. This blonde cutie however lived up to her good looks.

Standing tall in a six pack containing IPA's from some of Michigan's finest breweries. And that was before adjusting for price level. This was 1.79 versus 4.79 for the Double Crooked! No it didn't taste better. But I didn't overdraft my bank account either.

2.24/5  rDev -28.4%

When I first smelled and tasted it, I thought the bartender poured the wrong beer since I asked for a IPA. I honestly thought she gave me their Oktoberfest. This beer resembles nothing of an imperial IPA that was told to me the by bartender who bragged of its "extreme happiness". I tasted very little hops and more dark malt backbone. Good to try. Wouldn't get again

This is my first bottle from Schmohz, a brewery that has, shall we say, never been on our bar-hopping tour in Grand Rapids. 12 oz bottle, no date, 9.5%, can't believe how dark this looks in the bottle. It also sports one of the worst labels I've ever seen: cheap, faded colors, and an ominously flat-chested south German serving woman who looks anything but confident in the beer I'm about to drink.

I was going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and really try to write a full review, but I can't bring myself to waste my time. A few observations will have to do. It's super dark (like Quad dark), it has some kind of candied (or bad) yeast, so it drinks more like a Belgian dark ale than anything else, there are no hops I can detect, and I literally don't believe that it clocks in at just under 10%. Like, seriously, I call bullshit.

If this beer had been advertised for what it was, a 6% ABV Belgian dark ale, I think its scores would be substantially higher. But the false advertising or extremely poor craftsmanship obviously pissed off the BA community (myself included).

Avoid.

2.57/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Too dark in appearance for my liking for an imperial IPA. Along with the heavy color was a heavy taste. An almost chocolaty taste, similar to a stout, which just doesn't belong . . . If you are an imperial IPA fan, this beer is worth a try, just don't buy a whole 6-pack ... and don't have high expectations on this one . . .

1.58/5  rDev -49.5%

Honestly, this was one beer I hated. Perhaps it wasn't as fresh as would be preferred, but this is one of the only time's I've ever drain poured a beer that wasn't BMC swill.

The beer started off on an okay note. It poured a nice murky brown color, formed a decent head, and had some piney and citrus aromas going. However, when the foul wretch hits the mouth, all I could taste was alcohol. The beer was quite literally an over malted mess with so much alcohol heat that neither of us could stand more than a few sips. Perhaps if someone handed me a fresh bottle for free I could be coerced into retrying it, but neither me nor my friend enjoyed it at all.

For a much better Michigan double IPA, check out Kuhnhenn DRIPA, Greenbush Brother Benjamin, or Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A thick murky brown concoction with way too much sediment collecting at the bottom, a decent tan layer on top and pretty good lacing. The aroma suggests a quick whiff of grass-pine hops but says more about dank malt and alcohol. Really sort of devoid of merit. Upon tasting, nearly all hop hopes are dashed, a touch of grassy pine perhaps at best. But again it's mostly nutty malt and alcohol. The grassiness actually builds as you go but nothing can undo the alcohol dominance. It doesn't necessarily warm like so much alcohol but it tastes that way and it's a big disappointment. Where's the beef? The body is medium and it has a somewhat aqueous feel with a hint of chalkiness on the tongue. Carbonation tasteful, a bit "tingly". Overall, it becomes more drinkable as you go but the alcohol just seems like a spoiler here and the hops are generally MIA.

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hopknocker was supposedly designed for "serious hop heads" but I've got to wonder what kind of Imperial IPA this flat, nearly turbid dark mahogany ale really is. The beer's pretty much the same colour as the bottle! It sure doesn't look like hops were the priority in this recipe...

It certainly doesn't smell like it either. The beer displays a rather busty, pretty blonde on its label but its aroma is the polar opposite of that: flat, uncomely and full of brown malt. There's a trace of weedy earthy character but, by and large, it shows nothing but mildewy cereal grain and a roasty, overly astringent coffee-like note. Nothing exactly smells "off"... except the recipe.

Were it intended as something else - an imperial brown ale or old ale maybe? - the flavour wouldn't be considered half-bad. I'll go on record as saying it tastes pretty good to me. Of course, to be sure, as an Imperial IPA it misses the mark by a country mile; the flash-in-the-pan trace of pine resin goes nearly unnoticed amidst the alcohol and roast malts.

Flavour is one thing but mouthfeel is quite another - it's the reason low-fat ice cream is less enjoyable than the real thing. The beer is flat carbonation wise but also lacks any kind of tangible texture; hops should be sensed as well as tasted and this offers no kind of citric, resinous or grassy sensations. Still, it's surprisingly drinkable for such a poorly-made 9.5% beer.

Hopknocker is an unfortunate Imperial IPA. While it had certain elements that I liked, there's really no way around saying that this recipe is desperately in need of a complete overhaul (though some people might insist the label art is fine as is). If I didn't know any better I'd of thought that Schmohz Brewing Company was merely the garage of a couple homebrewers.

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

bottle into snifter

appearance: dark amber brown, 1 finger white head

smell: caramel, lots of malt, not really any hop presence

taste: Tastes more like a strong brown ale or a barleywine, alcohol is apparent, hardly any hop bitterness, i'm not sure why this is a "DIPA".

mouthfeel: not very carbonated, thick and syrupy

overall: HOnestly, I wouldn't buy this again. Not very good for a DIPA, maybe if they labeled it something else it would be rated higher but I expect some sort of hop presence in a DIPA, and this has none. It tastes, smells, and looks like a high abv brown ale.

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A strongly red ale malty characteristic to a secondary hoppy ale. Drinkable, but not what you would expect from a DIPA. Caramel. Fresh from Champane's. Drinkable on some nights, not for me tonight. Middling mouthfeel, off-white coloured body. I would drink this if I couldn't find a beer during a natural disaster.

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Dark caramel brown with about an inch of off white head. Quickly the head disappeared and left zero retention or lacing.

S - Malts, caramel, some yeast, faint hop characteristic smell.

T - Oak flavored and earthy with a nice amount of hops. My complaint is that as the brew came to room temp it got worse and seemed a tad flat and one note.

O - Kind of seemed like a "home brew" beer, but overall it is worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to Rouse for this one!

A murky copper body with a dense little head of tan foam that leaves plenty of lacing.

A very barleywine like smell. Caramel and toffee malt with a touch of burnt sugar. Hops are there, although a bit light.

A huge hop punch in the mouth up front. A very pungent and dank hop presence that blends with a bit of astringent alcohol. Solid barleywine like malty backbone. Fruit notes come in as it warms. Not bad, but a little messy.

Full bodied with a touch of prickly carbonation and a sticky finish.

It's not a bad overall beer by any means, but could use some refining. If thought of as a barleywine, this fits the bill.

1.92/5  rDev -38.7%

Appeared a dark amber with a white head. Smelled like pear or apple juice with a bit of hop. Mouth feel was medium bodied and the taste was not per usual IPA. It tasted juicy with a small hop finish. Too much alcohol in the flavor. This did not seem like an IPA at all to me.

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Drank this at the brewery. Served in a Schmohz Brewery pint glass.

A: cloudy chestnut brown, orange around the edges. Light tan head that disappeared fast.

S: caramel with slight fruits, slight hops, slight spices and nuts. Key word is slight, not a lot to the aroma.

T: spicy, caramel, dates, prunes, pine

M: easy to drink. Alcohol is not completely hidden in this one. Tingle on the tongue.

O: I will drink it to support the small Michigan Brewery. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a IIPA, just an above average strong ale.

3.59/5  rDev +14.7%

Color is dark brown

Mouthfeel is thick and little carbonation (I prefer less)

Taste reminds me of a Tripel I had recently, but not as strong
Not what I expected from a DIPA. Something is overpowering the hops. Perhaps too much sweet and I detect a leather smell.

Strong Alcohol that doesn't show. Sneaks up on you.

Won't have more than one as it's very filling.

Good to Average beer. Won't buy another, but won't refuse a cold one from a friend.

2.81/5  rDev -10.2%

a - BROWN. thick, opaque brown. this took me by surprise, i have never come across a brown dipa/imperial ipa and i have had ALOT of them. wispy tan lacing.

s - smells like watered down leather and not much else.

t- about what it smells. theres a litte brown sugar sweetness, very light piney hops, alot of straw flavor. very flavorless. quite disappointing. the alcohol is not detectable at all in the taste.
there is absolutely no aftertaste or flavor to savor.

m - decent. slick with light carbonation, slight alcohol tingle that fades quickly.

o- disappointed. dipa/imperial ipa are my favorite beer styles. this has no characteristics associated with either. its bland and boring. wont be buying this one again.

2.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Visually, it's not impressive at all. It's a toffee colored murky brown with minimal tan head. It looks nothing close to an IPA.

Smell is earthy and pine hops, but they're overshadowed by a brown sugar sweetness. It has a musty scent to it.

Blah. Earth (dirt) and musty flavor with a punch of rubbing alcohol. Light touch of brown sugar is the only forgiving quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation was alright by me.

I feel like overall this beer isn't is bad as I've scored it, but it's nothing more than average.

2.91/5  rDev -7%

Bottle depicting the buxom blonde, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- Wow! Not what I was expecting. 1-finger tan-brown head was created by a moderate pour. It hung around as a thin film. Any sticky spots fell back into the body. What a body!? Rich, brown color. Much, much darker than expected. Maybe not a typical DIPA, but it still looked pretty nice.

S- Very rich. Almost barley-wine territory here. I got raisins at first. Leather and tobacco come through strong. Malts create a caramel/brown sugar effect. It's missing those crisp hops I like in a DIPA (grapefruit, maybe pine). It would be wonderful as a strong ale or barley-wine.

T- It matches up with the aroma. Tobacco-like hops pair with a rich, malty backbone. Hints of Hawaiian sweet bread. It straddles the DIPA and barleywine styles. Some pine in the finish.

M- Very full feel. Moderate carbonation. While well hopped, there wasn't a bite in the mouthfeel. Alcohol is sweet, not burning.

O- There are high standards for the category. It's an interesting take, but missing the hop punch A little too earthy, not enough citrus or pine for me. I'd rate it much higher as a strong ale or barleywine.

3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured to a nice inch and a half head. Head was a little brownish in color. Also had some big bubbles in the head. Left some very nice lacing with every swallow. Brew itself was brownish in color, with a slight red tint. Had that hoppy pine smell. Also a slight sweet smell. Also I thought strange, it had a slight chocolate aroma. Tasted very good. Then again, a little chocolate, hops, and malt. Also hints of fruit or maybe apple. Again I thought the flavor was very good. Felt good in the mouth. I thought carbonation was about right. I think overall this brew was very good. With the higher alcohol content you couldnt make this a session beer. But you could certainly enjoy drinking a few and enjoying the flavor. I would buy and enjoy again.

3.27/5  rDev +4.5%

Small head, but I didn't give this a very good pour. Head is off-white and fades. Leaves good lacing.
Body is brown with hints of red. I remember this as being a little more red when I had it on tap

Smell is a little strange. Some aromas similar to those in wild ales. Slightly grassy. There is something pretty offputting as well, but not sure what it is

Taste is surprisingly fruity, lots of citrus flavors come through. Not much of the traditional hop flavors come though. Pretty sweet overall. Slightly sour. Almost like a Flanders Red. Slightly unpleasant aftertaste.

Good mouthfeel. Overall very drinkable for being 9.5%, but this seems misclassified

A. Pours a reddish dark mahogany that has a thin tan head with some retention and little lacing.
S. the smell is floral hops and citrus along with a sweet syrupy like sugar.
T. the taste is floral hops along with some citrus followed by some alcohol, some weak tasting sweet caramel, some sugary syrup that has a watered down sweet taste to it and finally it finishes off with the citrus.
M. The mouthfeel is a sticky, yet chewy feel that sticks to the lips.
D. It is a drinkable beer, but not for me since this double IPA did not seem to have any outstanding malt characteristics or that strong hop bite that is expected in an IPA, let alone a double IPA.
I think the Brew Master at Schmohz might want to go pick up some Bell's Hop Slam Ale to get an idea of how a DIPA should look, feel and taste.

2.12/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured into a globe glass-

Oh my god, are we sure this is a DIPA? It pours a dark copper with red highlights and a couple fingers of head. Not really the look I'm used to. The nose is mainly sweet malt with a hint of hops. It smells like a strong ale not a DIPA. The taste is all about the dark fruits, I'm thinking rum cake while sipping here. I think what we have here is a drain pour gentlemen.

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label depicts, as do most of these guys' labels, a buxom girl holding beer. No freshness dating.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of medium tan head. This settles to a thin layer of foam, leaving behind decent lacing. The beer itself is the color of tarnished copper and slightly cloudy. Solid layer of compact sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Slightly sweet caramel malt with hints of tart cherries and distinct high ABV sweetness in the finish.

Taste: Spicy hops upfront, followed by an orange citrus tartness. Some malt upon which these flavors are layered, but not much depth. Very little bitterness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Average to average plus carbonation. Body is just okay, a little on the thin side.

Drinkability: Spicy and hoppy, yet not to the level I typical associate with a DIPA. Also lacking sufficient malt to balance it out. All in all, everything seems dialed back a bit and significantly out of balance. Not bad, but won't be seeking this out again.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast