Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Raspberry Sparkle | Anacortes Brewery & Rockfish Grill

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Anacortes Brewery & Rockfish Grill
Washington, United States | website

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by TheBungyo on 02-27-2008

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by TheBungyo:
4.88/5  rDev n/a

First brewed a year ago and brought to the WA cask fest (where it blew me away and made me long to have it again), this growler was shared with me via Skyhand.

The color is pale honey gold, almost like lazy sunshine. Speaking of which, this would be perfect for sitting on the porch on a warm sunny summer day. The head is dense and the color reminds me of meringue.

The raspberry I smell in the nose is extremely mild and understated. If this weren't named Raspberry Sparkle I could almost see some people missing the raspberry notes. There's a slight funk that becomes more obvious once detected. I'd call it seductive.

This is the perfect marriage of a mild yet
complex sessionable brew. It's so good that geeks could talk about it for great lengths of time yet sessionable enough to enjoy at a party or gathering. The sourness is pretty mild, though slightly more forceful than it was a year ago at the cask fest. As for the fruit, boasts only a hint of the fruit of it's namesake. Even at that, you have to search for it, which is a good thing. Many times such beers are overly sweet but here the fruit is used as a perfect combative element to the sourness with a neat layer of mild malt sweetness as a buffer. This brew does with brett and fruit what The Abyss did with bourbon ... it's been reduced to a background element to enhance the other flavors in the beer. The result? Brilliance.

Hands down my favorite beer at the cask fest last year and I'm thrilled to say it's just as great a year later. I've heard that Kevin at Anacortes has no plans to brew this again because it was a pain in the ass. I have to say that would be an awful shame. This was so good I'd put it up there with some of the best stuff of similar styles that I've had from Russian River. In my opinion this is the true mark of a great brewer ... a lower ABV ale that packs as much flavor and complexity as the biggest burliest brew yet remains as drinkable as Belgian Pale should. Beautiful stuff!

Raspberry Sparkle from Anacortes Brewery & Rockfish Grill
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.