John's Generations White Ale | Millstream Brewing Company

Millstream Brewing Company
Iowa, United States
millstreambrewing.com

Style: Witbier

White Ale's are Belgian style beers, often refered to as "Wit" beer. Our version of this classic style is a wonderful spicy brew, infused with orange peel and coriander spices. It has a crisp refreshing flavor and a slight 'white' haze from the large percentage of wheat used in the mash.

Added by Todd on 05-01-2002

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

1.96/5  rDev -47.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden yellow. Small head with little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells of spices (coriander) and a hint of fruits, possibly oranges or lemons.

Taste: Sorry, but it isn't to my taste. The spices are just too much. I like flavor but it tastes like I mixed nutmeg, coriander, cilantro, and pepper with water.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel. It's light, grainy, and smooth.

Drinkability: If you like the taste, you'll be able to easily throw down a few of these without too much trouble.

I'm from Iowa, but I just can't give my home brew a high score. I don't care too much for the taste or the style, but that's personal preference. If you don't mind spices and want a nice White Ale, pick up a case of John's...but if you're not on the adventurous side or don't like spices, stay clear.

2.7/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Initially it came out crystal clear white and looking like a pure beer. By the time I finished the pour, however, it turned kinda cloudy and I actually saw sediment floating thru the liquid! I hardly ever notice sediment. It seems almost too cloudy to be a "white" ale, but I'm wondering if the muddiness might make this one better...

The smell is a lemony burst--it approaches pungency. Despite its carbonation and fizziness, it's like old lemonade. It smells more like lemon PEEL than lemon--really more like discarded lemons/peels. I'm picturing the morning after an obnoxious Cinco de Mayo party (replace lime with lemon). The smell of this beer definitely has character, and I respect it for that.

The taste is like everything else so far: interesting, but not quite good. In fact, further sipping leads to more associations with the stale lemonade. I want to respect John's Grocery and Iowa City, and I do. I want to like this 50th anniversary production, but I can't. I just don't think it's very good. It's over-carbonated, under-filtered, and totally unpolished. That might be what they were going for. Still, it's too acidic--like it's corroding my teeth. Oddly, however, I continue to drink it. I wonder if it'd be better if I put an orange in it. Without one available, I'll have to conclude that more sugar and citric acid won't offer too much help.

I'm amazed I continue to drink this while I continue to confirm the stale, sour qualities. It's funny because it's still not a bad beer. The feel isn't great but, as with the smell, I respect a beer that's trying to do something. Though I don't really like it, the mouthfeel is a distinct one.

Though I can talk about and give credit for uniqueness in every other category, the bottom line is I wouldn't really ever want to drink this beer again. All this description...and then that;)

2.71/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I was not very impressed with this beer. There was no head to speak of and the color seemed a bit pale even for a witbier. The taste was a bit yeasty (I noticed yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle so I left that last part in the bottle). There were other notes of citrus but overall it wasn't great.

Reading another review on here I'm thinking I may have had a bad batch so I would't rule trying this one again but if given the choice on a regular basis I would drink a Banquet over this one. The only reason it's 2.74 is because I was ranking it compared to the BA description of a Witbier.

2.72/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks to Hero27 for the brew.
Pours a hazy pale yellow with brite golden hues at the bottom of the glass. Light thin head fades pretty fast.
Heavy citrus aroma. Lemon and some grass.
Taste like a like lemon juice with a touch of pineapple. Loads of lemon in the finish. Alcohol seemed pretty noticable for a light abv beer. A touch of Belgian yeast in the flavor.
Mouthfeel is light and crisp.
I had trouble finishing my glass but it gave me the oppertunity to share with Enola (my friend and fellow BA).
This was my least favorite of the Iowa beers, but overall Millstream is a very solid brewery. This review is also a result of my personal taste and not the beer overall, as Enola liked it a lot and he doesn't generally like witbiers.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

2.77/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz stubby bottle with A marked on the side.

Poured into a shaker pint glass and got a cloudy, dark urine yellow liquid with nearly no head, only a slight white ring.

Smell is banana, cloves, and wheat husks.

Taste follows suit of smell. Very up front bready yeasty character with banana and clove. There is some residual huskiness to it as well. No alcohol to be tasted at all, and no hops i could pick out either. Almost a doughy, belgian yeast character finish on this one. Very sweet.

Slightly thin up front, but finishes sticky and sweet with no alcohol or hops to dry the palate.

This one is drinkable but just not my style I guess.

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.9/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

BOTM offering...

Pours slightly hazy amber with a short creamy head that quickly dissipates. Good carbonation, slight lacing but rather thin. Nose is acrid yeasts and sourness, slight wheats. Taste is quite light, not enough wheat in this one, the yeast overpowers it and makes it very sour, especially towards the end of the sip. Lingers on your mouth with lemony sourness. Burping up odd yeast tastes as well. Overall, I've had better witbiers but this one isn't the worst.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Dirty peach colored body with no chance of transparency. The pure white head is bubbly and standing about an inch and a half tall before fading slowly to a quarter inch.

S - Banana, apricot and a spicy hint.

T - It has a mix of malt and subtle banana to start. There's an odd flavor in the middle that has a somewhat stale taste to it. Unfortunately, it's carried out through the rest of the brew.

M - Smooth, silky and creamy to start. The middle offers a slight coarse texture and the finish is again soft and easy.

~ That sad part about reviewing beers is when the everything goes well except for the taste. The truth is, it is hard to give a beer a high drinkability value when the flavor just isn't up to par.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Aroma's mostly yeast with a bit of spice. Colossal head that settles shortly. Flavor's like nose plus fruit and a little malt. Something about this beer rubs me the wrong way.

I was not really impressed with this witbier. The citrusy taste was a little too tangy for my likings. Even though it is bottled by Coors, I prefer Blue Moon to this. Everything about this beer seemed average, thus I wouldn't recommend it except for those who simply must try everything once and will drive all the way to the middle of nowhere, Iowa to prove it.

John's Generations White Ale from Millstream Brewing Company