Love Belgian Beer?

Millstream Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Now this is a Hefeweissen made for Iowa! We took a little liberty with putting a twist on the name and making ours a Hefe"r"weissen to fit in the whole Iowa thing we have going on at Millstream Brewery.

While we took liberties and played with the name, we did not compromise on making a true German Hefeweizen. As with a Hefeweizen, ours is quite sweet and fruity, with a full body. Our yeast produces the unique phenolic flavors of banana and cloves. It is very lightly hopped so it has little bitterness.

Added by cokes on 08-27-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 47
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

There is a nice golden honey color to it. It is cloudy, light passes through it easily enough, you just can't see through it clearly. When poured there is a good half inch white head that rapidly dissipates to a thin head and then to nothing.

The smell is a very discernible combination of banana and cloves like most hefe weissens. There are some other subtle scents to it, but I wasn't able to accurately identify any of them. However the combination is reminiscent of pear. The taste is a pleasant mix of banana and cloves. It's not overpowering like I've tasted in other hefe weissens. This is a very pleasant combination that is pleasing to the tongue.

It is a light bodied beer that slips past the tongue, there is no mouth coating at all. It is very easily drunk. This is a perfect hot summer day beer. It's easy to drink and palatable.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

thanks to hero27 for the chance to try this neat beer. another rainy day, another barbeque, another wheat. A trend if you read my reviews in my sequence, pointless notes otherwise. A nice golden color with a white head. Very light wheat notes dominate. Light bodied, summer session beer. I'd be curious to try this on tap if I'm in the Iowa area.

quite yummy. had this at the brewery and in the bottle afterward. nice color, slight cloudiness. good head and steady carbonation. nice flavor of wheat with a little bit of citrus. decent amount of lace down the glass. this is a pretty darn good beer from an unusual brewer. this brewery is in a small german town of amana. nestled in central Iowa... cool.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich amber with pale lemon edges and a pristine interior that indicates filtering. I hope the hefeweizen yeast character hasn't been filtered out (as in most kristalweizens). The snow white crown is neither attractive nor ugly, but somewhere in between. Acceptable foam persistence and a decent amount of sudsy lace help the cause.

Cloves are barely detectable and there are no banana esters either. Nor is there much wheatiness goin' on. Hell, there isn't much emanating from the glass at all. Is this a true hefe or is it a pale wheat? Warming pulls the nose, kicking and screaming, up to average.

One sip is all it takes to confirm that Hefe Weissen isn't simply Windmill Wheat with a new label. While I couldn't appreciate fruit and spice in the first few sniffs, the flavor profile is much closer to where it needs to be. This isn't an outstanding effort, but it ain't half bad either.

The barley and wheat malt backbone is just about right in terms of heft. Sweetness and bitterness are pretty closely matched, with spiciness nipping at their heels. This offering definitely isn't bland. The hefeweizen banan-o-meter score is a respectable 2.5/4.0 and the clove esters are warm and mildly pungent.

Mouthfeel is a tough call. The underlying light creaminess is nice, but the harshness of the bubbles isn't. The fact that they're settling down as the ounces pass is the main reason why the score ends up where it does.

Millstream Hefe Weissen (label)/Hefeweissen (website) is pretty good, pretty drinkable beer. Although it's nowhere close to scaring the Bavarians, it's a nice option for those Iowans who prefer local products. Guaranteed freshness is nothing to sneeze at.

3.44/5  rDev +0.9%

So let me preface this review by saying that I lived in Germany for 3 years as a young lad so I was able to enjoy some of the best Hefeweisen this world has to offer.
I was given a bottle of this by my soon to be brother-in-law, it came as part of his most recent beer of the month club shipment. I choose it because Hefe's are one of my favorite styles of beer. I was a little surprised to see that it is brewed in Iowa, never really thought of Iowa as a hotbed for micro-brews. None the less the beer poured a little less cloudy than I am normally used to (for a hefe) a good two finger head quickly dissipated and left a slight lace around my glass. The brew was enjoyable. As another reviewer already said certainly not the best hefe that I have ever had and certainly not the worst. I would drink it again if it were offered to me, and I'll be sure to thank my brother-in-law the next time I see him. Thanks Brent!

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

Millstream's Wheat is pretty bland, but John's White is consistent and solid enough that I was really surprised they shelved the pilsener for a Hefe. But then I checked out their website and saw that the hop shortage was to blame, but they still wanted to come out with a summer seasonal.

Pours great into a Hefe glass. Maybe a little dark for the style--not quite the sunshine golden you get from a perfect hefe pour--but there's still a wonderful head.

Smells like your usual suspects. Strong wheatmalt with large nodes of white pepper and cloves and just a wee little hint of citrus. Not quite as ballsy or complex as some of the more stellar hefes, but pretty damn good nonetheless. No off nodes.

The mouthfeel is a bit off. Great hefes are smooth all the way through, this one's kind of fizzy at the back. But that's my only complaint, really. This is yet another solid offering from Millstream.

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz stubby bottle courtesy of BuckeyeNation.

Pours a cloudy, unfiltered tan color with a white frothy head that doesnt last long.

Smell is ripe banana, clove, and lighter fruit, maybe pear.

Taste is strong on the over-ripe banana with a hint of clove. not picking up much of the pear aroma in the taste. There is a husky aftertaste as well.

This one is light to medium in the mouthfeel, not much to dry the palate.

It does not finish crisp or clean which for me makes it tough to drink. I would not choose this one again although it was not horrible at all, just not at the top of the style, and with so many choices this would not be mine.

3.27/5  rDev -4.1%

Muddy golden-orange body, with minimal head. Good lacing however.
Appealing nose of banana, pear and clove.
Taste follows suit with banana, clove, and (guess what) pear. Relatively large dough flavors, with some slightly sour yeast notes. Mushy banana aftertaste. Not bad, but nothing dazzling. Seems restrained.
Body is somewhat spritzy, but lacks substance. Thin, and not very creamy.
Not a beer I'd choose to consume in quantity, since there are alot of great hefeweizens around. This is far from the worst I've had, but equally far from the best.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last