Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout | Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Trader Joe's Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Jason on 08-25-2002

2.87/5  rDev -25.5%

A - Pours a deep brown two finger head that dissipated quickly. Minimal lacing, definitely below average.

S - Coffee and oats. Smells roasty, almost burnt.

T - Somewhat malty and sweet, but not as flavorful as I like. Good aftertaste of coffee/mocha. Sweet and nutty with no hops perceived.

MF - Velvety with good carbonation. Some sips were thinner than others. Thin drinks for a thin pricetag.

D - Easy to drink but not a favorite.

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

Single 12oz bottle from Trader Joe’s. Poured into a pint glass...

A: Black; creamy, tan head; nice retention that leaves a few strands of lace.

S: Butterscotch; sweet malt and toffee; not much roastiness or oatmeal... bleh.

T: Sweet malt; just a touch of roast; seems really sweet.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; has some zing and a nice feel.

O: Not impressed. Overly sweet, no roast or oatmeal... Drinkability is low due to lack of flavor - and the lackluster aroma doesn’t help. I’ll stick with the Mission Street stuff at TJ’s.

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours out basically black with a slight head. Can't see through it. Looks OK. The smell is faint and mostly of burnt coffee. I was disappointed here. The flavor is also somewhat weak, with hints of toast. Dominantly bitter. The bottle mentioned chocolate flavors, but I couldn't find any. The carbonation is OK, but it's overall a little watery. It was at best an OK experience, but I'm uninspired to have one again. Maybe I'm just too jaded by delicious double and imperial stouts.

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

App: Tan, soda head, nice retention. Dark, dark ruby in color. Minimal, but present lacing.

Nose: Sweet malt, vanilla bean, cacao, and a little toffee. Very pleasing nose.

Taste: Soft and sweet with some carbonation at the end. Well balanced. Sweet malt, faint carmel, with a clean finish.

Notes: I am impressed. It went for a good price and is a tasty beer. Perhaps not a "stout", but it fits my palate.

3.01/5  rDev -21.8%

My wife grabbed this for me from a local Trader Joe's. Poured into a pint glass. Dark reddish brown pour with a 2 finger head that is pretty sturdy and leaves a good bit of lacing. Smell has some big chocolate aroma to it as well as a weak coffee scent. Tastes like watered down coffee with a slight dark chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, however, there is a nice redeeming creaminess. For $4.99 per six pack, this is by no means a bad deal. Easy to drink, but not in the upper echelon of stouts. Slightly recommended.

Oh, this stuff is great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - Stockyard float, try it out!

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a very black color with a nice chocolate head. The beer had a deep roasted malty taste and smell but is was way too sweet tasting. The beer had a bit of a burnt after taste. I will not buy again.

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

My friend brought me home a package from his travels. It had a sixer of this among other things. What a friend thinking of my beer needs during his vacation.

A: Pours a deep black in color with a nice 3 finger head. The head quickly dies though and leaves just a small outer ring at the edge of the glass and there is no lacing to be seen.

S: Has a nice mild smell about it. There are notes of nicely roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate. I would like a more powerful aroma.

T: The taste is mild as well. What is there is nice but I would like it to me more forward. There is a nice sweet maltiness at first sip. It is not until the finish that I finally detect notes of chocolate and coffee.

M: Way too thin for a stout, especially an oatmeal stout. This one needs more body and creaminess.

D: I am sure the thin body makes this one non filling and quite seasonable, but this not a beer I would want to session.

Overall: An average stout. One to drink to say you have tried it. Some reviewers gave it pretty high marks so I guess it is the right beer for some. The stout lover in me was not real impressed though. The one positive I see is that it can apparently be obtained for $5 a six pack at Trader Joe's. If this one is your cup of tea it would be easy on the wallet, apparently you get what you pay for and I will continue to spend more on my stouts.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very sizable fluffy, off-white head. Pours a medium-dark brown, with a little light showing at the bottom of the glass and ruby red streaks when held up to light. The head creates convincing curtains.

Smell: It's definitely got a lighter profile than some stouts, with caramel and brown malts apparent. There may be a little bit of hops, but it's subdued. Some toasty character, but nothing really dark. Some ripe autumn fruit, perhaps.

Taste: I'm not getting a whole lot. I detect some malt sweetness, and maybe some alcohol-ish off taste in the background. It's not very compelling. I'm really struggling to get the oat grain or chocolate advertised. It's more like a brown ale.

Mouthfeel: I do give it some points for smoothness. The body is fairly heavy, and the alcohol/carb kinda leaves a metallic feel at the end. The carb is light in quantity but prickly.

Overall: I can definitely say I've had better oatmeal stouts. Not enough punch for me.

3.07/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Smells like metal. Taste like metal too but not that bad taste wise. Pretty flat. I still prefer velvet Merlin

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Purchased this at Trader Joe's in Falls Church, VA. Appearance was nice with a really creamy looking tan head. It tasted straight like coffee and the taste was actually pretty good. The weird part about this beer is that I couldn't drink it. It just sat there and I seemed to forget about it. I seemed to be sick of it after just a few ounces. Kinda boggled my mind.
Anyways, this is so cheap and good enough to try for yourself.

Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout from Trader Joe's Brewing Company