Caldera IPA | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Ratings: 1,276 |  Reviews: 510

12 oz can poured into duvel snifter
A - pours a deep amber, very lively, large white head that stays for a bit, very good looking beer
S - huge citrus notes, absolutely amazing smelling beer
T - amazing citrusy grapefruits and oranges amazing IPA, absolutely, the bitterness is perfectly balanced
M - very smooth, creamy, easy to drink
O - the best IPA I have ever had, absolutely amazing beer

Love this beer, one of favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Great looking 12oz can poured into pint glass. Pours a golden amber color with tons of frothy head and gobs of lacing on the sides of the glass. Very piney hoppy smell. Taste is a slap in the tongue with pine followed by orange citrus. Amazing hop profile on par with super hopped double/imperial IPA's. Light dry mouthfeel that really dries out your mouth. Great drinkability hindered only by the hop blast that will quickly leave your taste buds dulled. Overall this is an amazing IPA that blows my mind every time I drink it.

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

My new favorite IPA which continues the awesome trend of canned microbrews. Pours a nice head that sticks to the rim. Smell has a hint of citrus (pineapple/orange) but doesn't over power anything. Tastes great with plenty of hops but not too bitter. Priced right as well.

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from a can. It is attractive, with a clear amber body, and a frothy head that leaves nice fat lacing. Smell is good for a brew cold out of the fridge. Bready, slight spruce. Wow!!! Flavor is fantastic!!! Bitter, citrusy, piney, malty...a perfect blend! Mouth feel is also right on. Overall I put this in the top West coast IPA's that I've had. Impressive. "May I please have another!?!"

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company