Caldera IPA | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Ratings: 1,281 |  Reviews: 512
2.96/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz. can poured into pint glass. No dating.

Pours light amber or transparent copper with a one and a half finger white head. Plenty of bubbles rising to the top. Good retention and good lacing.

Aroma is of floral and earthy hops, candied oranges, and fruit juice. Tastes of grassy and piney hops with a touch of orange rind. Malt sweetness adds some balance, but not a lot. West Coast in terms of bitterness, but not a lot of aromatic or fruity hops. Finish has lots of bitter floralness. Medium bodied and sticky with full carbonation.

Very similar to the pale ale, but with more hopping and more malts. I thought initially this was better, but then realized I would rather have less of this flavor since I don't particularly enjoy it. Not enough malt to be "balanced" but not floral or fruity enough to be a tasty San Diego style either. So-so.

Finally starting to see this much hyped brewery show up here in the Fourth Corner. The Amber and Pale I tried weren't all that thrilling so I didn't have much in the way of expectations for the IPA. Well it turned out to be just an average example of the style. It's worth a shot if you see it, but it's not great.

3.02/5  rDev -23.7%

A-Full bronze. big light tan head. brilliantly clear.

S-Some toasty malt. Light citrus hop aroma. Not a lot going on.

T-Carmelly malty. Firm bitterness but more balanced to the malt than their Pale ale. Not much in the way of hop flavor. Lots of bitterness but not much flavor.

M-medium bodied. medium carbonation. No alcohol burn.

D-An average tasting IPA. Needs more hop flavor and aroma. Bitterness and malt are spot on. Still not a bad beer.

3.04/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

MEH. Didn't really get any hops on this. Near the end of its shelf life, so that's probably why. I hate that I'm becoming a date snob, but it does make a difference.

3.05/5  rDev -23%

A tasty canned IPA. A nice balance of citrus hop and sweet malt. Lacing sticks to the glass and a nice cloudy amber/orange color.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

Can recieved in a recent trade as en extra.

A: Decent head, takes a minute or so to settle down. Very clear light orange colored beer. Some lacing.

S: Fruity scents with not too much hops present in the nose.

T: This beer just is not a solid example of the style. Really not much of a hop presence at all. With what I have heard about Caldera 'Old Growth' I was hoping this would be a pleasant surprise. I'd skip this one if I was looking for a solid IPA

M: Low to medium carbonation. Slightly oily mouthfeel.

O: Move along, nothing to see here.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

Chilled can into a glass. An extra courtesy of bvc. Thanks!

A: Pours a clear amber body with active carbonation up the glass. Has an inch off-white head with good retention, and it leaves some spots of lacing down the glass.

S: Citrus and pine hops, with a slight resiny and earthy/dirt/grass undercurrent to it that is a bit of a turnoff.

T: As the nose suggests, the taste is dominated by citrus hops, with pine coming second. Caramel malt fleshes out the mid-taste, but toward the end, an earthy and grassy blend takes over and pulls throught into the aftertaste. There is a lingering resiny bitterness as a result.

M: Sticky, with bitter resin coating the mouth. Sometimes I like this, but here it's too grassy and earthy to enjoy.

D: I really wanted to try this, and I'm glad I did -- because I'm satisfied that I don't need to have it again. It's apparently pretty pricey, and there's nothing in here that justifies that to me.

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Can from Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured copper and bright with light carbonation. One finger of fluffy beige head. Good lace rings and a film of retention.

S - Citrus and toffee, fairly light.

T - Citrus, strong grass, some toffee, pineapple. Not great, just seemed standard.

M - Medium body and good carbonation with a bitter pineapple finish.

O/D - This beer was alright. Seemed like a run of the mill American IPA with no one element really surprising me at all. A little underwhelming and plain. Nothing special but a decent enough IPA.

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Very good ipa from Oregon

3.12/5  rDev -21.2%

I got a nice head on the pour but the coloring is a much lighter and watery looking amber color than that is expected of most IPA's. The smell is pretty nice. Mostly sweet pineapple but the hops aren't that noticeable. Very sugary as well. But I do have to give it points for being pretty strong in the nose even if it isn't showing bitterness. The bitterness is fairly sharp in the front but it fades into a kind of cheapish sweet corn and cereal like lager. Aftertaste also leaves a lot to be desired. Actually after the initial bitterness there really isn't much other flavor besides the corn and more bitterness. Pretty one dimensional. A bit too overcarbonated and kind of leaves a bad feel in your mouth. Well it is easy drinking. I can give it that. Heard a lot of good things about this beer. It failed to impress me. No canned/best by date so who knows how fresh it is. At $12 a six pack this beer is total fail! I didn't even see the price til it rang up and I thought it was a mistake and had to look at the screen to make sure. Even if it was pretty good that price is pretty bad.

3.12/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Had from a 12oz can purchased in Portland, OR. The can artwork definitely evokes some Grateful Dead artwork. The overabundance of leafy hops on the label makes me assume that I'm supposed to smoke a spliff while enjoying this canned brew.

Pours a light golden to amber/orange color with a velvety and creamy looking white head. Really good retention and impeccable chunky lacing throughout.

Rich, dank aromas of Yeti sweat, Mary Jane, cucumber, orange rind, citrus, quail egg, bitter herbs, grass, dandelion, and boots muddy with laterite soils.

Medium bodied and aggressively bitter and herbal on the palate. Persistent bitter herbal flavors carry through to the finish. Maybe a hint of citrus peel.

It's hard to tell if this is beer is actually serious. However, I am super eager to try it with some roasted meats. I could see it going very well with bird. However, on its own, just too much bitter swampiness. Not a lot of focus or clarity of expression.

3.13/5  rDev -21%

Poured from a 12oz can into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at local health food store for $1.49. My first craft beer from a can.

A-Clear amber-orange with 1 1/2 finger, off-white head with average retention and moderate lacing. Very pleasing appearance.

S-Piney hops with some citrus aroma present. Very inviting.

T-Somewhat disappointing since the flavor does not match well with expected smell and is dominated by earthy bitterness that is ultimately unbalanced. I couldn't discern any malt backbone. Very bitter, persistent after taste. Not very pleasant. Unsure about freshness, but this has not been a concern from the seller/distributors. I like hoppy IPAs, but prefer balance too. Balance was absent.

M-Begins well but ends up being harsh because of the after taste. Low to medium carbonation gives is it a smoothness that is unfortunately emasculated by the bitterness.

D-An average West Coast IPA. Okay, but I won't buy again. The bitter aftertaste nearly gave me heartburn.

If offered one to drink I would drink it but only after concluding nothing better is available. A bit pricey compared to better Oregon brewed IPAs. I bought this today because I wanted to try some different IPAs on hot day in the Willamette Valley. Overall, I was nonplussed.

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company