Caldera IPA | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Ratings: 1,285 |  Reviews: 513
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into DFH pint glass. Looks like a nice fresh hop IPA, such as Celebration. Murky orange/copper poured to a half inch creamy head. Love the lacing as it disappears down my gullet...

Aroma wafting toward me reveals all the IPA scents: citrus, pine, with a hint of rising bread.

Many of the previous reviews state a syrupy consistency, and I agree it is syrupy, however, if your a DIPA lover, you won't mind it a bit. Chugs more like a DIPA which I love.
You'll get whacked up front with a nice citrus profile before a light sweet malt and lingering bitterness take over. The bitterness is just right leading you to raise your glass in another slug creating a nice drinkabillity which many IPAs do not nail.

Carbo is a touch soft which is my only knock here, but like I said the feel is heavier like a DIPA

Overall, this is a great IPA and will absolutely have again...

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a chilled Founders pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a nice white, frothy head that recedes very slowly. Excellent lacing retention throughout the glass.

S: Huge tropical notes up front with grapefruit being the main scent. I also can smell traces of pine and some orange and malt.

T: I taste more orange than the scent gives off. Not as much pine and or grapefruit as the scent had suggested. This beer has a massive sweet malt backbone.

M: A bit too syrupy for my liking, medium bodied and it has nice carbonation.

O: Not what I look for in an IPA and quite honestly for the price not worthy of an elite IPA status IMO.

12 oz can poured into duvel snifter
A - pours a deep amber, very lively, large white head that stays for a bit, very good looking beer
S - huge citrus notes, absolutely amazing smelling beer
T - amazing citrusy grapefruits and oranges amazing IPA, absolutely, the bitterness is perfectly balanced
M - very smooth, creamy, easy to drink
O - the best IPA I have ever had, absolutely amazing beer

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Deep apricot hue with a huge, beautiful, sudsy cream-colored head; lacing is great

S: Lots of wonderful citrus from the hops: peach, mango, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, and tea leaves with a slightly grassy and grainy malt undertone

T: Hops are a touch more muted than aromas indicated but still plenty of citrus, tea leaves, pine, and weed

F: Quite creamy upfront and finishing pretty well--though a touch thin

O: A nice hop-forward IPA in a can, which you can never get enough of; something I'd like to try even fresher and something I will definitely come back to

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Can poured into a pint glass. Don't know the dting on this but have seen it at my bottle store for a while now and don't know if it's been siting around for awhile. Nice just over and inch head. White. Thick. Heavy malt. Fruit. Apple. Pineapple. Slight pine. Transparent. Wouldnt try again. Not bad but expected a little more for the price. Overall not too bad.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a tulip. Color is of a lighter golden with a fluffy off white colored heading. A little hazy in color but does have a nice lively action look to it.

Nose was toned down a bit for me. More of malty caramel sweetness hits the nostrils followed with a subtle touch of grapefruit and grass.

Taste was extremely sweet at first of a heavy walloping malty gooey-ness of a backbone. Nice bitterness, grassy and zesty taste. Finishes with a hop grind makes me think of pure hop oil.

Mouth is medium bodied,good carbonation, a little bit on the thick syrupy side. Nice kiss of stickiness on the lips from the hop residue.

A solid IPA. A bit heavy for my liking when I think of IPA but for the malt IPA lovers this is your baby.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge thanks to mages64 & psiweaver for hitting a perma-want in the partners BIF!

A – Orangey-rust with a fantastic fluffy cream colored head. Great head retention which hangs around for a good 10 minutes. There are two fairly prominent floaties in here; not sure if they're hops, or pieces of Oregon.

S – The aroma is a little subdued, but what I'm getting out of it, I like. Lots of really earthy pinecones and trees, orange marmalade, light grass and a fair amount of caramel dipped bread.

T – I don't see a date on the can, but I think this might be on the older side. BUT, being just over the hill doesn't stop this from being delicious. The hop profile is on the mild side, but maintains for the entire taste with fresh cut grass, lemon soda, barely bitter grapefruit and spruce. The malt that backs all of that up comes out in toasted nuts, lightly sweet caramel, hearty rye bread. There is a really nice balance going on here – while I would like the hops to stand up a little more, the malt profile is still second fiddle. But even though the malt characteristics take a backseat to the hops, the nut+caramel bread combo is fantastic.

M – No problems here – medium bodied, a touch on the syrupy side with an understated carbonation pop.

O – Easily a beer I could drink by the six pack. Also would be good for a newer ipa drinker who need some malt balance and isn't bitter to the point of no return.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. Good head and lacing, pours a deep amber. Aroma is citrus piney hops, with a bit of toffee. Taste has a great hop profile, bitter piney yet plenty of flavorful citrus fruit as well. Dry finish, medium viscosity. Overall a very nice west coast style IPA.

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up a 6er of this, cool lookin can! On sale for 8.99 I believe. Normal is 10 bucks I believe. Poured into a frozen pint glass right from the fridge.

A- Pours an orange dark straw color. Good lookin'! LACING is great in this beer! O so sticky!

S- HOPS HOPS and more fresh picked fruity HOPS. From past experience with this beer I know everything improves as it warms up. Very beer-like smell. Also lots of grain as well. Great smell

T- Starts with a very short great malt and grain taste then right into a delicious fresh hop flavor that reminds me of the smell of picking a ripe hop bud right off the bine! Lasts for some good time. I dare say the most profound fresh hop flavor I've ever tasted in a IPA, it literally tastes like you put some hops in your mouth and started chewing it up and its great. Very full flavored.

M- Medium, not too light but not heavy.

O- A great IPA, I am not the biggest fan of piney IPAs but this one has just a touch of it then followed by fruity hops (my preference). A for sure thumbs up from me. Darn near my most fav IPA. Pick some up, you will enjoy if your an IPA fan.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

From 12oz can to Bruges hybrid glass on 11/20/11
*From notes

A: A lovely darker shade of amber-orange. A good pour yields a two finger head and decent lacing. From the looks of things, this is filtered.

S: Resinous, a bit dank and fruity.

T: Piney, yet there's some tropical fruit which kicks around the walls of my mouth. Golden toasted grains and some earthiness wrap things up.

M: Extremely creamy. It really feels luscious.

O: Caldera's IPA is yet another solid entry into one of my favorite styles. It ain't at the top of a prestigious list, but it's certainly one I've got qualms quaffing. This is one I've reached for before, and will again. If you see (fresh) cans of this, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Caldera IPA from Caldera Brewing Company