Caldera IPA | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 02-21-2005

Ratings: 1,290 |  Reviews: 514
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired from Tiklmelmo courtesy of the Hometown BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel that are quickly followed by strong but not over-powering and very complementary hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is a very solid IPA that is worth drinking for a long time.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Great to see this Oregon brewery now in my area.Poured a deep hazed burnt orange with a tight formed slight off white crown that held well,big citric aromas with a bit of pine resin,a biscuit dough aroma lends a little maltiness to the mix.Deep grapefruit rind flavors really stand out,this is a true American ipa with its hop forward profile,a lightly sweet biscuit dough malt base stands up well to the big hop presence.A solid beer,to me what an American ipa should be.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

From the can at SAVOR 2011.

Pours a clear golden color with an average white head and a slight amount of white lacing on the way down. The nose brings quite a bit of citrus hop character, mostly tending toward grapefruit. Quite nice. The flavor has just a touch of malt in the background and is instead focused on a fairly-heavy hop presence. Orange and grapefruit come through and perhaps a bit of a floral character. Medium body with good bitterness. Nice and dry. Solid brew.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Attractive coppery amber in the tall snifter. Nice scent of flowery, aromatic hops. Usual cap of foam and decent carbonation in the mouth. Nose of pine and a touch of caramel.

Big hops with lots of resiny and pine flavors. Fairly bitter, but not as excessive as lots of IPAs. Relatively drinkable. Some warm malt along with the earth flavors. Not as dank as some current hoppy beers. Slightly sharp, but has a mellow approach. Light bodied.

12 oz can from Olive Tree Market in Ocean Beach.

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

Clear orange-copper pour with a thin layer of bubbles for a head. Aroma of citrus and leafy hops, light pale malts. Taste reflects the nose: solid malt base, leafy hops, light and tea-like; pretty basic, but not as flavorful as I like my AIPAs. Advertised as being "brewed with plenty of body." Well, something must've happened between then and now, because the body on this was very light, kind of watery in the mouthfeel. Crisp and fairly refreshing, but lacking in most vital areas that make for a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear caramel amber with a couple fingers of poofy off-white head. A thin and foamy layer of retention flares up very nicely, leaving a big creamy cascade of sticky lacing behind. The aroma is rich with a ton of tropical fruit character, along with floral notes, spice, and some bread.

The taste is a moderatley bitter and spicy hop profile that is well balanced by citrus and toasted bready malts. I'm not getting a lot of sweetness out of the backbone but it's enough to even things out. Finishes with a dry lingering combo of bitterness and spice. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with an extremely mellow and creamy feel. Very easy feeling overall.

I've been wanting to try some of Caldera's offerings and this didn't disappoint. Nicely balanced IPA flavors with a big drinkibility and I love the fact that this is in cans. Nice!

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

part of my liquid solutions order, a late x-mas gift to me, from me!

Pours an effervescent amber with 3 fingers of fluffed up cream colored head. Above average lacing & superior head retention

S: Much grapefruit & some pine hops

T: Biscuitty malt, a touch of honey, then lemony hops & finally a wave of grapefruit hops up front. Bready notes, caramel, & then more grapefruit as this warms. Finishes a little dry, with more grapefruitty hops, & a bit of honey malt. Almost gave this a 4.5

MF: Pretty smooth with some chewyness & excellent carbonation & balance

Drinks pretty easy, nice to find another great canned beer out there! Good AIPA

4.84/5  rDev +22.8%

CAN you dig how phenomenal the CANQuest has become? I am trading and/or getting CANs from everywhere! I CAN hardly believe it myself.

Whoops! I already drank one of my three this morning before even writing anything down. My notes for Ashland Amber included commentary on the CAN itself, including verbiage and mention of CAN-conditioning. This, however, was a visually appealing CAN with vibrant color reproduction and a green pop-tab. My buds at that stoner joint, Roots (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10996/?view=beerfly), would fully dig this CAN. Hey, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a) I kid and b) I CAN pass a urinalysis standing on my head. I dig beer, you dig? Plus, that place has a really smoky vibe and I am sure that they would not be particularly offended. Onward.

Both times, my pour has begun with a finger of ecru head which has simply sat down, leaving sticky Belgian lacing in its wake. The nose is forest hops - pine, green, earthy, sticky, massive. Sweet hops the hope of my life - once again, that damned howling monkey shut up and climbed off of my back for the moment. I am on the waiting list for hops rehab but it's a long list and I may not last that long. Thank Bob for hops!

It now becomes a simple matter of drawing some of this delectable beverage into a syringe through a needle and jamming said needle into one of the few remaining viable veins. No heating necessary. Cold fusion is more satisfactory, anyway. Once I untie my rubber hose, the euphoric quality begins to set in. I am one with the Beeriverse. My existance is justified. I'm not just a simple Hophead. I am a HopJunkie and an unapologetic one, at that. My licking the lacing out of the glass is starting to draw stares from the nieghbors. So what?!? The heck with them! This is my scene, man, and don't mess with me while I'm digging it. Find your own scene and report back.

Man, how do I convey veinfeel over mouthfeel? It was righteous! Full, sticky, veinous (not vinous), right on, baby! Finish was hoppy, sticky, yummy, the EMTs are trying to restart my heart, man. Zounds!

Where am I? Was this a review? Wow, man. What a groovy trip. Did you dig the scene too, or was it just me? I gotta get in the shower, man. I'll try anything once.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orangey-copper body with a small, bubbly white head.

Smell: Aroma of caramel malts with an herbal, citrus hop presence.

Taste: Mild caramel malt flavor and sweetness. Zesty citrus hops and the taste of fresh herbs. A pinch more of those caramel malts reemerge for the overall bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slight stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Whaddya know, it's a fairly good IPA.

Review from notes.

A: Pours a copper.amber color with a small off-white head with decent retention. Sticky lacing forms up the sides.

S: Strong aroma, lots of pine and citrus fruits, mostly grapefruit. A little bit of caramel malt.

T: Very nice tasting IPA. Similar to the aroma in that there is a lot of citrus fruit and pine going on. There is a bit of biscuity malt underneath the hops and some caramel on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly bitter, pretty smooth.

O: An easy drinking IPA, solid flavor profile.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Polished brew kettle coppery orange with butter rum edges. The good looking crown is some combination of ivory, ecru and pale orange. It has the look and leaves the lace of a beer that contains a generous amount of hop resins. At least I hope so.

The nose is nicely hoppy, but it isn't explosively hoppy. I blame the fact that the brewers decided to use too much Munich and crystal at the expense of pale malt. The hops (Crystal, Galena, and Centennial) provide grapefruit and orange esters, along with a strong whiff of ganja. Close to excellent, but no cigar. Edit: by the last ounce... cigar.

I feel the same way about the flavor... at least after two mouthfuls. Who knows what time, warming and the rest of the can might accomplish? These guys definitely love to hop their beer, but then that's almost a requirement in Oregon, isn't it? I wish the website listed the IBUs. I'm thinking 70ish.

The sturdy malt backbone, again, contains a healthy amount of toasted earthiness from the Munich and steely caramel from the crystal. It also provides an underlying sweetness that keeps things from being more arid on the back end than they already are. Caramel-soaked orange and grapefruit pith and peel zings across the tongue with each mouthful, leaving shallow alpha acid furrows rather than deep trenches.

The mouthfeel is IPA medium; perhaps a bit more full due to a wonderful creaminess as it gains a few degrees. The amount and feel of the carbonation strikes me as just about right. Are all 12 ounces gone already?

Prior to Surly blowing the entire concept sky-high, Caldera Pale Ale was my favorite canned beer. IPA is at least as good. It's a terrific, drinkable beer that I have no trouble recommending to anyone, hophead or not. If you have a few slots to fill in your Liquid Solutions order, you could do much worse than to fill them with either Caldera Pale Ale or Caldera IPA.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz. canned poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark gold to light amber body with a substantial white head. The foam sticks to the glass and the lacing is decent.

Smell - I get hops, some grapefruit and some pine. It's more of a biscuit malt aroma, though. Kinda smells like an ESB.

Taste - Hops at first, more pine in the flavor than in the smell. Malty behind it. Biscuit malts and a touch of caramel. Not sweet at all, but malty nonetheless. Tastes like an ESB, too.

Mouthfeel - Just a tad heavier than medium bodied. Feels heavier because of low carbonation. Has the feel of an ESB, too!

Overall - Not as hoppy as I would like from an IPA. Better than the other Caldera beer I've had, though. Not something I'd look for.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

A huge thanks goes out to the awesome BA from the NW who sent me this as a kick ass extra. I had been wanting to try this for a while now. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 06/26/2009.

The pour was very nice. Deep amber in color with a nice clarity to it. A big head of white coming up and over the top and settling down with a good amount of side glass lacing. Big aroma of fresh hops on this one. Just a huge nose of grapefruit, pineapple and hints of orange peel. Deep and resionous, almost sticky just in the aroma. As the first sip hits, not as sharp and pungent as the aroma, but seriously this was a good IPA. Nice and tight with the fresh hops letting your lips stick to your teeth. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit leading the way but fading into a nice mid palate of buttery malts. Nice medium feel and an easy, very smooth sessionability.

Overall this was excellent. A very easy to drink, very nice and very hoppy west coast IPA. I would go for this one again any day!

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this at Arena's Cafe in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Poured from the chilled can into a pint glass.

A - A medium copper-like peach tea shade w/ a proud 3 fingers of cream, rocky headed w/ very fine bead and good lacing.

S - A crisp, tropical hop odor w/ a pine and pineapple(orange according to octopus87)aroma w/ hints of light apricot and grapefruit in the nose w/ mild pepper.

M - A crisp, juicy and mild sweet feel w/ a moderate carbonation level. Medium bitterness and slight spiciness w/ a resinous accent and residual bitterness in the finish

T - The taste is smooth w/ a spiced hop flavor that is fruity w/ hints of pineapple, mango and orange zest. There is a malt backbone that anchors the flavor w/ mild grain and sweetness in the taste. There are flavors that remind of peach w/ a slight spicy pepper mellow flavor. The beer creates nice hop burps as I near the end of the glass which can only mean I was refreshed by the taste.

D - I found this to be a very drinkable ale, a fine IPA w/ out any 'hop assault', but hoppy enough to satisfy your average hop fan. Still bitter flavored and refreshing -an almost "must try" IMO.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A clear amber color with a nice fluffy white head. The lacing on this beer is absolutely incredible.

S: An amazing smell. The smell reminds me of homebrewing. It feels as though I've got a big chunk of fresh Simcoe and Amarillo hops that I'm about to toss into the boil. Very piney and citrusy. Different aromas, but on par with Pliny and Sculpin.

T: The Simcoe train doesn't stop at the nose. Plenty of bitterness and a nice grapefruit flavor as well. Not quite as good as the nose, but almost.

M: This is the one area I think the beer falls a bit short. The body is on the thin/watery side, but the carbonation levels are fine.

D: This is one of my new favorite IPAs. This is a great IPA for just sipping on or drinking during a hot day. I think I'll pick up a six pack the next time I see it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Gotta love the sorta Macedonian flag thing they've got going on behind the cauldron, eh? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises biscuit, very light caramel, pine resin, light leek, and a nice helping of flowers. The taste brings in more of the same, the pine (now a touch earthier) and the caramel-y biscuit balanced very nicely, while still allowing the hops to have their full say. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and drying finish. Overall, a nice IPA, one that shows that even the West Coast knows how to balance an IPA.

1.5/5  rDev -61.9%