Lawnmower Lager | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by freed on 12-22-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 120

220z bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours yellow and fizzy - nothing special here.

S: Smells decent, like a typical mid-range lager.

T: I was really expecting a lager with a bit of hop to it, judging by the name - "Lawnmower Lager" thinking it might be a little grassy (hoppy), much to my dismay this couldn't be further from the truth. There's a weird overwhelming honey malt flavor that is out of balance and I really don't get a nice lager flavor at all. It really reminds me of that cheap beer - "Oregon Honey Beer". Nothing special at all, and especially at $5.00 a bottle.

M: Light bodied and fizzy as hell.

D: It's actually quite drinkable and probably it's greatest quality, but at $5.00 a bottle - give me a break.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear very light yellow with strong carbonation but a weak head. The aroma is sweet, non-descript malt with just a touch of grassy hops and some graininess. The flavor is quite similar with pale malt sweetness, some grassy herbal hops, clean yeast, grainy notes and a surprising amount of bitterness. I have to say that the flavor is pretty disappointing, even for this style, though the dryness does give it some merit. Mouthfeel is not just light, but watery. It has a nice dry finish and is very quaffable, and holds up alright when compared to other beers in this category, but I think there are better options.

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a pale yellow, soft white head, fairly good retention per the style.

S: Some grainy malt notes, light hops, mild inoffensive nose.

T: Direct pilsner esque barley malt flavour, light hopping. Again, mild but the malt flavour is good.

M: Light-bodied, crisp, very clean, refreshing.

D: A solid pale lager, not as much flavour as I wanted, maybe akin to Full Sail Session is what I was looking for. As an innocuous easy drinking lager it did its job.

4.4/5  rDev +28.7%

Saw this at the store for a great price (2 bucks for a 22oz bottle) and picked it up.

A- A clear pale straw yellow, very clear and clean. Very little head but then again most beers of this style don't have much head so in comparison to the style it is good.

S- This has your typical lager yeast smell. There is a bready, earthy, grainy and gritty smell. Very rounded and bold smells in terms of beer of this style.

T- The beer is crisp and refreshing. I'm getting a big grain taste that is like chewing on the top of a barley stalk. More like the smell of when a grain truck dumps its freshly harvested barley load into the grain grate to be weighed and priced, take that smell and put it as a taste and that's what I'm getting. There is a subtle sweet honey taste that is coming though and adds a nice level of flavor. There is actually a nice complexity going on with this beer, especially when you are comparing it to other beers of the style.

M- Good mouthfeel, nice carbination and a very light body.

D- Easy to drink, the name of the beer fits very well. I would drink this after working out in the yard no prob. This is clean but not BMC clean. It's more like clean but in a dirty glass type clean.

Lagers are not my favorite styles of beer. But one thing I've found is that the flavors are more subtle then other styles. Many craft lagers get a bad wrap because of BMC lagers and how many people are so against them here on BA. I rated this beer based on its style, and for its style it is very well done and tasty. I would definitely buy this one again.

2.37/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured a very pale yellow. No head whatsoever. Some bready aroma, but very light. Very faint lemony flavor. Extremely light malt flavors that finished with a distinct light beer aftertaste.
This beer shoud've been labeled as a light beer. Shame on me for buying a lager with an ABV less than 4. Almost any mass produced light beer is better than this one. I even drank it after mowing my lawn. Should've had a tall glass of water.

3.09/5  rDev -9.6%

22 oz bomber. Slight aroma of bread, light whiffs of cheese for some reason. Ugly looking beer..insipid pee colour..least the small white head hangs around. Taste papery, bread, some lemongrass. Really very little to it Macro-lager palate to it..average. Overall pretty bad stuff here.' Get a 40 of MHL or PBR save you money.

3.96/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear gold with one finger of fluffy white head. Minor lacing. Aroma is slightly corny, some bread from the yeast. Taste is malty and just a hint of hop bitterness. Clean and full bodied for the style. Moderate carbonation. Clean, sweet, and some mild bitterness in the finish. Served a bit warmer than the style calls for. Still prefer Full Sail Session beer for mowing lawns but if Caldera were to can this beer I would drink some on a hot day by the pool or mowing the yard. I like the fact that it is 3.9% abv. Good beer for such a low alcohol content. Really a "light lager". And in that category it is a winner. I paid $3.09 for a bomber which is too expensive for lawnmower beer. Let's see if they can this brew. I would buy it over the macros if it was about $5.99 a sixer.
Update 4/12/2014: Bought this in a six pack of cans. Paid $6.49 minus 10% senior discount.
So Caldera must have read my review! So this canned version is even better then the bottled bomber version. I poured this about 10 minutes ago and it still has a cap of head. Good amount of lace for the style. Best lawnmower beer in the USA!

1.12/5  rDev -67.3%

Let me start by sharing what's on the side of the bottle: "For all you people who are afraid of beer you can't see through, this one is for you. This beer is yellow, fizzy, and clearly meant for washing dirt out of your mouth after mowing the lawn." I'm not even sure it's good for that. It's definitely yellow and fizzy, with no head to speak of, and zero lacing. It almost smells like a loaf of bread, and nearly tastes the same. It's very earthy and grainy with nary a hop to be found. Man, I love me some Caldera, but I would rather drink a Bud Light than this on a hot summer day. Sorry guys, but this beer gets an F.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last