Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale | Caldera Brewing Company

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Availability: Spring

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-28-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Seriously, I love this beer. I adore floral beverages (floral does not necessarily mean sweet) and this has a fine nose. It's not overbearing, it's just right. I would drink this all year if it wasn't seasonal!

I would bet a lot of people wouldn't like this because it's not a hop bomb; however, that's a relief for me.

Oh, and I found this via Made in Oregon. Don't know if can be purchased and shipped from elsewhere or not.

Lastly, I have to admit, my favorite flavored tea is Rose Petal Black from Tao of Tea. I also have to confess that I live in Ohio, but I am a Portlandphile!

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

A- is cloudy and light glassy goldeness
S- smell of light winter pine needles and small delicate floral hints
T- the taste is light and easy to drink, very winter like in the beginning. Reminds me of being in a forest and then at the end your hit with small hints of flower flavor.
M- easy to the tounge and flows with 2 waves of flavor. Both are easy and satisfying.
O- this is a very unique beer and I would recommend it to any one for a very different drinking experience. It easy and I would drink this beer in the winter or spring. Its very light and still has a pretty high alcohol%.

3.96/5  rDev +23%

Ah, I am super stoked on the Golden Rose Petal Imperial!!
My favorite beer so far this summer!
Amazing when packed on ice and served super cold, consumed out in the sun by the Rogue River, this beer is simply wonderful! Perfect, balanced, light, and refreshing.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bomber into a chalice glass

Appearance – The beer pours an orange-golden amber color with a one finger white head of foam. The head has a light level of retention, fading to leave a light lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell –The aroma is big of a musty and bready smell mixed with some aromas of a fruity nature being strongest of a cantaloupe and honey dew along with a little bit of a flowery smell. Along with those fruits comes some light boozy smells as well as a little bit of a grass and hay.

Taste-The taste begins with a sweeter fruity taste of melon and a light tropical fruit as well as flavors of a bready and slightly yeasty tastes. The yeast quickly fades, all while the melon and the citrus get stronger and stronger as the taste advances. Some flavors of a flowery nature and some hay develop more at the end of the taste, and with a little bit of grass and a light alcohol flavor that also develop, one is left with a sweeter, but still crisp Belgium pale ale flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is on the slightly thinner side for a brew of 7.5 % abv. with a carbonation level that is rather high. For the melon flavors of the brew, as well as the light hopped and floral nature of the brew, the feel is great and makes for one smooth sipping brew.

Overall – This brew I rather enjoyed overall. It was sweet, yet still crisp and had a nice mix of fruity melon, bread, and a light hop flavor to make this very easy drinking, all while the alcohol taste still keep you aware of the 7.5 % abv and overall created a nice sipper.

3.68/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle bought from Capital Market in Salem. $3.99 Pours a nice clear deep golden colour, with a large bubbly white head. to be honest not getting much aroma from this at all biscuit malts and a touch of grassy hop..no roses. Taste is better more fruity and yes floral..its well hidden but pops up. I cant say its roses but its floral. getting some honey and cream too..very nice . Great soft smooth mouth feel..and getting a wee bit of hop bitterness in the end Very nice beer..but could do with more rose/rosehip

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A: golden to slight reddish hue. Creamy white tight bubble head.

S: spicy, floral, lemon peel, zesty, slight cinnamon.

T: sweet, rose, spicy bitter, over the top flowers. Grainy malt but rose overpowers it.

M: medium bodied. Sweet finish.

O: good b/c its unique bad b/c its unique. Its tough to envision as a session beer but its a nice different offering.

3.63/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

22 picked up on the drive home from work tonight at Brewforia... Paid about $5.50... Poured into my Old Guardian goblet.

The label calls this an "Imperial Blonde" brewed with "real rose petals" and "Hungarian rose water".

Pours with a short lasting white head... very clear golden brew... lacing is minimal but present.

Pale malts in the nose add a nice sweetness that helps the floral qualities.. Interesting.. I can pick out the rose petals, but I'm not getting rose water.

Flavor is actually just a well made (yet big boned) blonde.... pretty malty from front to back with a lingering finish that makes me think of the backyard roses.. but I am honestly having a hard time pulling it out.. the rose water really only shines about 5-10 seconds after the sip goes down the gullet.

Ehhh.. Body is a nice solid medium.. carbonation is a tad light..

Glad I got the chance to try this one... I'm interested in seeing what future reviews hold as I think my palate is not refined enough to really grab what the brewers were shooting for.

All 3.5's

3.49/5  rDev +8.4%

It's a beautiful beer to look at. Pours crystal clear with a glowing golden tone. Head pours healthy and then fades to a thing foam. Really great looking.

Nose really doesn't jump out at me. Pale malt tones with a tea-like herbal tone to it. Really nothing noticeable, and that includes the rose.

It tastes similar to the nose. There is a floral tone to it. Not hoppy floral but like an herbal tea floral. It's difficult to describe. Luckily, I happened to have a bottle of rose water around so I took a sniff of it and I just couldn't make the connection. The beer as a blonde ale is really very solid. The pale malts work wonderfully with the carbo to create an extremely refreshing beer. This would have been nice to have during those 95+ dog days of summer .

Overall, it is a solid beer. I have to say though, I had a difficult time pulling the "rose" flavors from the beer. I'm happy I was able to try this limited release and I look forward to more of what Caldera is going to offer.

3.44/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: beer started to foam up immediately after I opened the bottle. Body is an orange-golden hue with a moderate haze and effervescence. Head is a thick finger of creamy ivory foam. It's actually pretty attractive; reminds me of a bière de garde.

Smell: sweetish and toasty with a definite plant-like herbal character, which I would not readily identify as rose petals but which makes sense given that knowledge. It's a bit pointed, overall, and not as enticing as it could be.

Taste: much like the aroma. It tastes a bit like the aroma of garden trimmings -- no doubt our roses at work here. While it is not bad, necessarily, the roses just don't work for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a huge carbonation and massive, mouth-filling creaminess. This part is awesome.

Overall: not really my style. It's a quality brew, seemingly done with care, but the roses are a novelty and a bit of a misstep as a brewing ingredient.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a couple of very small patches of a large bubble or two, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate floral aromas including a solid amount of rose present. Very light notes of pale malts as well and just a touch of peppery yeast..

T: Moderate flavors of pale malts with some definite notes of rose, rose water, and a light peppery spiciness likely contributed by the yeast. Very light amounts of bitterness that fade immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: The beer is well balanced as it comes out neither sweet or bitter and there is no alcohol present in either the smell or taste of this beer. I find this beer to be pretty interesting with the light amounts of rose present (I love turkish delight which has some notes of rose to it as well) combined with the peppery spices. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Interesting beer...not too sure how I feel about this. Looks good enough...cloudy orange with a decent white head. Malty, very floral smell. Creamy, light caramel scent. Light hops.

Weird, floraly hop taste. Sour-ish after taste. Weird, bready character. Definitely can taste the rose, but its all muddled. Nothing really stands out.

Slightly flat, not horrible. I think this would be better as a pint or a six pack, not a bomber.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

The first time I had this was in the summer, and I absolutely loved it. It ppured a respectable head and looked enticing in the glass. The floral aromatics filled the air and wowed me. I'm a huge fan of floral flavors in general and rose in particular. The Rose flavor was hugely intense but enjoyable to me. I savored it. I really appreciated the fact that they didn't try to hide the rose, and instead accentuated the floral character. It's no joke.

Now having this a second time in the Winter, I find myself disliking it altogether. The rose seems to be too strong and overpowering. Almost nauseating.

WTF. Am I a different person than I was a few months ago? Is it just the cold weather and being inside as opposed to the warm open air of summer? Who knows trying to rate this based on an average of two vastly different experiences with the same brew.

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle

Excellent clarity; amber color; high level of visible carbonation. Good head and lacing.

Aroma: floral and bready; rose water.

Flavor: mild, and mildly floral.

Feel: light body with very good carbonation.

O: if it sounds good, give it a try.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%