Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale | Caldera Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-28-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.17/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm not really a fan of herbal/spiced beers but since it was in the cold box at $3.99 for a 22 oz bottle I thought I'd give it a try. Colour is amber/orange with a thin white head and some nice lacing. Smells of... well, as you would expect... flowers, roses in particular. Taste much the same. It kind of reminds me of a Belgian ale but with floral notes rather than fruits. Average mouthfeel. This beer is not bad, it just really is not my thing. Prost!

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bomber into a chalice glass

Appearance – The beer pours an orange-golden amber color with a one finger white head of foam. The head has a light level of retention, fading to leave a light lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell –The aroma is big of a musty and bready smell mixed with some aromas of a fruity nature being strongest of a cantaloupe and honey dew along with a little bit of a flowery smell. Along with those fruits comes some light boozy smells as well as a little bit of a grass and hay.

Taste-The taste begins with a sweeter fruity taste of melon and a light tropical fruit as well as flavors of a bready and slightly yeasty tastes. The yeast quickly fades, all while the melon and the citrus get stronger and stronger as the taste advances. Some flavors of a flowery nature and some hay develop more at the end of the taste, and with a little bit of grass and a light alcohol flavor that also develop, one is left with a sweeter, but still crisp Belgium pale ale flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is on the slightly thinner side for a brew of 7.5 % abv. with a carbonation level that is rather high. For the melon flavors of the brew, as well as the light hopped and floral nature of the brew, the feel is great and makes for one smooth sipping brew.

Overall – This brew I rather enjoyed overall. It was sweet, yet still crisp and had a nice mix of fruity melon, bread, and a light hop flavor to make this very easy drinking, all while the alcohol taste still keep you aware of the 7.5 % abv and overall created a nice sipper.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. The liquid is a mostly transparent golden brown and the pour produces a modest white film that leaves a good amount of lace.

Aroma is roses and malt, with the malt slightly overpowering the rose. Malts smell bready and sweet. Not very complex, but about what you would expect given the name.

Flavor is much the same - general malty pale ale flavor with some added sweetness from the rose.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with lots of soft carbonation and a moderately sticky finish.

Overall, it's alright, but a bit disappointing. Some complexity at all would have been nice, but it really just tastes like regular "beer" with a bit of rose added.

3.44/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle bought from Capital Market in Salem. $3.99 Pours a nice clear deep golden colour, with a large bubbly white head. to be honest not getting much aroma from this at all biscuit malts and a touch of grassy hop..no roses. Taste is better more fruity and yes floral..its well hidden but pops up. I cant say its roses but its floral. getting some honey and cream too..very nice . Great soft smooth mouth feel..and getting a wee bit of hop bitterness in the end Very nice beer..but could do with more rose/rosehip

3.12/5  rDev -3.1%

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

The first time I had this was in the summer, and I absolutely loved it. It ppured a respectable head and looked enticing in the glass. The floral aromatics filled the air and wowed me. I'm a huge fan of floral flavors in general and rose in particular. The Rose flavor was hugely intense but enjoyable to me. I savored it. I really appreciated the fact that they didn't try to hide the rose, and instead accentuated the floral character. It's no joke.

Now having this a second time in the Winter, I find myself disliking it altogether. The rose seems to be too strong and overpowering. Almost nauseating.

WTF. Am I a different person than I was a few months ago? Is it just the cold weather and being inside as opposed to the warm open air of summer? Who knows trying to rate this based on an average of two vastly different experiences with the same brew.

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle

Excellent clarity; amber color; high level of visible carbonation. Good head and lacing.

Aroma: floral and bready; rose water.

Flavor: mild, and mildly floral.

Feel: light body with very good carbonation.

O: if it sounds good, give it a try.

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.96/5  rDev +23%

Ah, I am super stoked on the Golden Rose Petal Imperial!!
My favorite beer so far this summer!
Amazing when packed on ice and served super cold, consumed out in the sun by the Rogue River, this beer is simply wonderful! Perfect, balanced, light, and refreshing.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: beer started to foam up immediately after I opened the bottle. Body is an orange-golden hue with a moderate haze and effervescence. Head is a thick finger of creamy ivory foam. It's actually pretty attractive; reminds me of a bière de garde.

Smell: sweetish and toasty with a definite plant-like herbal character, which I would not readily identify as rose petals but which makes sense given that knowledge. It's a bit pointed, overall, and not as enticing as it could be.

Taste: much like the aroma. It tastes a bit like the aroma of garden trimmings -- no doubt our roses at work here. While it is not bad, necessarily, the roses just don't work for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a huge carbonation and massive, mouth-filling creaminess. This part is awesome.

Overall: not really my style. It's a quality brew, seemingly done with care, but the roses are a novelty and a bit of a misstep as a brewing ingredient.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The lackluster label told me I shouldn't buy this one, but I did because it sounded interesting. Not sure what style this would be if it weren't for the herbal ingredients.

Poured into a 34oz mug; golden orange like honey, mostly clear with a minimal off-white head that fizzes out quickly leaving no lacing.
Smells of relatively heavy nutty malt with some odd peppery spice notes and a cloud of a fake-sweet smell that is sort of like cotton candy. I don't know where rose petals or "rose water" (whatever that is) factor in but it's not in the aroma.
Tastes like overcarbonated nutty malt with a hint of spice, like someone tried to make a mimosa with an old bottle of Dead Guy Ale and spilled some pepper in it.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slick and wet and very carbonated.
Overall, this is not very good. It's drinkable (by that I mean were you so inclined, you could get through it) but it's a mess. No wonder this one was $4.49 when all the other Caldera bombers were $9 or however much. I have other beers to get to, so I'm not going to push myself through 22oz of empty calories when it tastes like this. Drain pour.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Seriously, I love this beer. I adore floral beverages (floral does not necessarily mean sweet) and this has a fine nose. It's not overbearing, it's just right. I would drink this all year if it wasn't seasonal!

I would bet a lot of people wouldn't like this because it's not a hop bomb; however, that's a relief for me.

Oh, and I found this via Made in Oregon. Don't know if can be purchased and shipped from elsewhere or not.

Lastly, I have to admit, my favorite flavored tea is Rose Petal Black from Tao of Tea. I also have to confess that I live in Ohio, but I am a Portlandphile!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast