Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale | Caldera Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-28-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.76/5  rDev -45.3%

Split the bomber with my girlfriend who picked it out because of the roses.

Pours a clear gold/orange with a small white head.

Smells floral as expected with some malty sweetness too. Not really picking up heavy roses on the nose.

Tastes weirdly floral, but not good floral like a heavily cascade hopped beer. Hardly any hops at all, just a weird rose flavor. Good news is if I ever want this flavor again, I have a large rose bush in my front yard.

Undercarbonation leads to an even worse experience.

My first drain pour in quite a while. After a few sips these became way too overpowering and going through 22 oz wasn't happening.

2.31/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation, Libby, Mont. Purchased from Belmont Station in Portland for $4.67. Reviewed live.

A- Three-finger white head, rapidly eroding head that sinks to a fluffy, sticky half-inch thick floater. Hazy golden color with low clarity.

S- Golden lager notes, flowery scents. It's not a very attractive smell.

T- Golden, clean flavor. Lager notes, golden malts. Relatively boring flavor. I'm not sure I know what rose petals taste like, so I can't pick out the flavor.

M- Unimpressive feel. Wet and heavier than I expected.

O- Well below average beer. Not very good.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

2.8/5  rDev -13%

I tried a sampler of Caldera's Rose Petal Imperial Golden Ale at their pub in Ashland but wasn't able to get a sense of what it tasted like from a mere 3 oz. so I was still curious enough to pick up a 22 of this when I saw it. I was intrigued about the idea of a beer with "Bulgarian rose water" and had no idea what an "Imperial Golden Ale" was supposed to mean so I was excited about cracking this one open. However, this turned out to be one of the most difficult beers I've ever tried to review for the simple fact that while it's good, the label seems to describe a completely different beer than the one in the bottle...

THE APPEARANCE of this looks almost identical to a good Bavarian hefeweizen. A massive nearly-white foam head erupts from the bottom of the glass with the pour. The body is a light golden color, more orange than straw color. The foam head stays together and has good lacing. This is a very, very good-looking beer. One of the best golden ales I've ever seen.

THE SMELL is of hops, cotton candy, strawberry, butterscotch, alcohol, and a faint amount of aged white cheese (Asiago or Parmesan). But, NO roses. None. Nothing. Not a hint. This is a floral ale, but the floral-ness is from the hops. I'm sure of it. I've smelled countless West Coast ales like this before.

THE TASTE is excellent. Tastes like something between a heavy Kolsch and a light IPA. Or, maybe it could simply pass as a hoppy American hefeweizen. Most of the aromas are present in the taste as well. But, again, NO ROSES. I have a pretty acute sense of taste and smell but even while straining, there is just nothing floral about this other than the hops. Even trying to imagine "roses" comes up short. I know what roses taste like, and they are not here. However, this beer really tastes great. So, while I'd love to give it a 4.5 in this categoy, it deserves a 2.5 at best for false advertising. Did I get a batch without roses? Did they accidentally put a different beer in this bottle? I'm pretty disappointed in this regard, but what I am tasting is still really good.

THE FEEL is heavy yet effervescent. It's slightly creamy and has a very wet feeling. There is substantial warming from a 6.7% beer, and I attribute that to the body. Overall, a very balanced beer.

CONCLUSION: I have tried Caldera's ginger beer and that really does taste and smell like ginger, but this really does NOT taste or smell like roses. I would love to rate this beer higher based on its flavor and the enjoyment I got from it, but I just can't do it. My suggestion: Amp up the roses or use less hops and perhaps they would poke through. As it stands, this is false advertising. Sorry. Don't buy this for "roses", buy it because it's a great golden ale!!!

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The lackluster label told me I shouldn't buy this one, but I did because it sounded interesting. Not sure what style this would be if it weren't for the herbal ingredients.

Poured into a 34oz mug; golden orange like honey, mostly clear with a minimal off-white head that fizzes out quickly leaving no lacing.
Smells of relatively heavy nutty malt with some odd peppery spice notes and a cloud of a fake-sweet smell that is sort of like cotton candy. I don't know where rose petals or "rose water" (whatever that is) factor in but it's not in the aroma.
Tastes like overcarbonated nutty malt with a hint of spice, like someone tried to make a mimosa with an old bottle of Dead Guy Ale and spilled some pepper in it.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slick and wet and very carbonated.
Overall, this is not very good. It's drinkable (by that I mean were you so inclined, you could get through it) but it's a mess. No wonder this one was $4.49 when all the other Caldera bombers were $9 or however much. I have other beers to get to, so I'm not going to push myself through 22oz of empty calories when it tastes like this. Drain pour.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Aroma: rose, floral (almost perfume like) slight caramel and some slight hop spiciness. I find the floral aroma too strong.

Appearance: pale gold, very clear with stark white head that stuck around for around 5 min.

Flavor: Floral, almost soapy and quite strong. Not much in the way of hop or malt character is discernible. From what I can tell the base beer is nice a very balanced but just thoroughly over powered by the intense floral flavor.

Mouthfeel: crisp and light

Overall : The floral aroma and soapy flavor we're too much for me. It's an interesting idea but needs some work.

Don't you kind of hate writing a negative review for a beer from a brewery you really like? Like the Bud light campaign says, "here we go. . . "

Pours a vibrant gold, soft white head 1" in depth on top of it. Like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What aroma?" Maybe you can find rose petals/water, but I could not, just the faint, ever so faint smell of pale malt/grain.

Taste, like Tekagi said in Die Hard "What Taste?" Man, this is like drinking almost nothing. Caldera has some beers that are massively flavorful, this must be their gateway get 'em in the door new type of brew or something, I really don't get it, its frankly "boring".

3.02/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Very pale golden color with pretty much no head whatsoever.

S: Kind of weird but a little intriguing as well. Lots of rose petals and rose water here. Some faint hints of yeast and bread as well.

T: Yeah, this isn't good. Lots of floral notes but there's no hint of the base beer here at all. A bit of a buttery note with some yeast, but that's about it. Mouthfeel is waaay thin and watery.

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. The liquid is a mostly transparent golden brown and the pour produces a modest white film that leaves a good amount of lace.

Aroma is roses and malt, with the malt slightly overpowering the rose. Malts smell bready and sweet. Not very complex, but about what you would expect given the name.

Flavor is much the same - general malty pale ale flavor with some added sweetness from the rose.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with lots of soft carbonation and a moderately sticky finish.

Overall, it's alright, but a bit disappointing. Some complexity at all would have been nice, but it really just tastes like regular "beer" with a bit of rose added.

3.12/5  rDev -3.1%

3.17/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm not really a fan of herbal/spiced beers but since it was in the cold box at $3.99 for a 22 oz bottle I thought I'd give it a try. Colour is amber/orange with a thin white head and some nice lacing. Smells of... well, as you would expect... flowers, roses in particular. Taste much the same. It kind of reminds me of a Belgian ale but with floral notes rather than fruits. Average mouthfeel. This beer is not bad, it just really is not my thing. Prost!

3.29/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle

Excellent clarity; amber color; high level of visible carbonation. Good head and lacing.

Aroma: floral and bready; rose water.

Flavor: mild, and mildly floral.

Feel: light body with very good carbonation.

O: if it sounds good, give it a try.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

The first time I had this was in the summer, and I absolutely loved it. It ppured a respectable head and looked enticing in the glass. The floral aromatics filled the air and wowed me. I'm a huge fan of floral flavors in general and rose in particular. The Rose flavor was hugely intense but enjoyable to me. I savored it. I really appreciated the fact that they didn't try to hide the rose, and instead accentuated the floral character. It's no joke.

Now having this a second time in the Winter, I find myself disliking it altogether. The rose seems to be too strong and overpowering. Almost nauseating.

WTF. Am I a different person than I was a few months ago? Is it just the cold weather and being inside as opposed to the warm open air of summer? Who knows trying to rate this based on an average of two vastly different experiences with the same brew.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Interesting beer...not too sure how I feel about this. Looks good enough...cloudy orange with a decent white head. Malty, very floral smell. Creamy, light caramel scent. Light hops.

Weird, floraly hop taste. Sour-ish after taste. Weird, bready character. Definitely can taste the rose, but its all muddled. Nothing really stands out.

Slightly flat, not horrible. I think this would be better as a pint or a six pack, not a bomber.

3.36/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a couple of very small patches of a large bubble or two, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate floral aromas including a solid amount of rose present. Very light notes of pale malts as well and just a touch of peppery yeast..

T: Moderate flavors of pale malts with some definite notes of rose, rose water, and a light peppery spiciness likely contributed by the yeast. Very light amounts of bitterness that fade immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: The beer is well balanced as it comes out neither sweet or bitter and there is no alcohol present in either the smell or taste of this beer. I find this beer to be pretty interesting with the light amounts of rose present (I love turkish delight which has some notes of rose to it as well) combined with the peppery spices. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: beer started to foam up immediately after I opened the bottle. Body is an orange-golden hue with a moderate haze and effervescence. Head is a thick finger of creamy ivory foam. It's actually pretty attractive; reminds me of a bière de garde.

Smell: sweetish and toasty with a definite plant-like herbal character, which I would not readily identify as rose petals but which makes sense given that knowledge. It's a bit pointed, overall, and not as enticing as it could be.

Taste: much like the aroma. It tastes a bit like the aroma of garden trimmings -- no doubt our roses at work here. While it is not bad, necessarily, the roses just don't work for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a huge carbonation and massive, mouth-filling creaminess. This part is awesome.

Overall: not really my style. It's a quality brew, seemingly done with care, but the roses are a novelty and a bit of a misstep as a brewing ingredient.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast